EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Polestar Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23, 10:06 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,116 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Out of curiosity, did you have any interest in the Kia EV6 GT or upcoming Hyundai Ioniq 5 N?
Definitely, I'm totally interested in exploring both vehicles. Two things are in the way...dealership's hefty markups and charging infrastructure that is sub par to Tesla's. My next door neighbor totalled her car and actually looked at getting the Ioniq as a replacement, but the dealership markups put the pricing square in Model 3's price range. Until those two variables change, my next car is a Model 3P
Old 01-11-23, 10:08 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
The Kia EV6 GT looks awesome.
It does, but see my last comment above
Old 01-11-23, 10:18 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Definitely, I'm totally interested in exploring both vehicles. Two things are in the way...dealership's hefty markups and charging infrastructure that is sub par to Tesla's. My next door neighbor totalled her car and actually looked at getting the Ioniq as a replacement, but the dealership markups put the pricing square in Model 3's price range. Until those two variables change, my next car is a Model 3P
Makes sense. One of my local dealers has surprisingly already stopped doing ADMs but they are of course swamped with orders. The charging infrastructure pressure is real, there is no doubt. My spouse only charges at home and we take other cars for longer trips.
Old 01-11-23, 10:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Makes sense. One of my local dealers has surprisingly already stopped doing ADMs but they are of course swamped with orders. The charging infrastructure pressure is real, there is no doubt. My spouse only charges at home and we take other cars for longer trips.
That's the thing...I take longer trips. I charge 99 percent at home, but have to use Fast chargers when I travel about 4 or 5 times a year to SoCal. My Spouse on the other hand never leaves the Bay Area on her own, so the Polestar works great for her. Generally my trips have all been smooth, but on my last trip at a critical juncture 3 out of 4 EA chargers were offline, making me have to drive 13 miles out of my way to get to another set of EA chargers. Due to unforeseen circumstances (I call the domino effect) a trip that should have taken 7 hours took 10 hours. Had I been driving a Tesla, this would not have even been a remote issue.

ADM's haven't gone away here unfortunately. Also availability is a big issue. Right now Tesla's delivery times would be no more than a month, but an Ioniq or EV6 would be at least a 2 to 3 month wait
Old 01-11-23, 12:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

TheStraightPipes review of the 2023 Polestar 2

His charging rant near the end spells out pretty much why I'm buying a Tesla, although charging seems to be more of an issue in Canada than in California
Old 01-11-23, 12:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Cons
Only has a 400v charging system, so supports up to 150 kW Fast Chargers (can use 350 kW Fast chargers though)
Fast charging network not as robust as Tesla's

I was reading an Instagram post by Jonny Liebermann over the weekend who purchased a Rivian and he ran into his 1st major charging issue with EA. He was pretty much stating that while they are upgrading and adding more Fast chargers, he was noticing that the fast chargers were all charging slower than the regular chargers. So they might be available, but for some reason, they werent charging how they should. Seems like they have a loooonnnnggg way to go to improve the network. So many complaints with EA im seeing popping up all over. A shame.
Old 01-11-23, 01:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
I was reading an Instagram post by Jonny Liebermann over the weekend who purchased a Rivian and he ran into his 1st major charging issue with EA. He was pretty much stating that while they are upgrading and adding more Fast chargers, he was noticing that the fast chargers were all charging slower than the regular chargers. So they might be available, but for some reason, they werent charging how they should. Seems like they have a loooonnnnggg way to go to improve the network. So many complaints with EA im seeing popping up all over. A shame.
I think EA never anticipated the number of EV's that would hit the road so soon. They also miscalculated by building inadequate chillers for cooling into their Fast Chargers. According to an EA tech I talked to this summer, the chillers are what are failing. That is most likely the reason why they don't always run at their advertised charging speeds. I'm sure the problem will be fixed, but in the meantime it does affect heavily travelled charging corridors. It's definitely a shame...Tesla thought this out years ago
Old 01-12-23, 07:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
The Kia EV6 GT looks awesome.
ha, it may 'go' awesome but i find its looks anything but awesome. the back end in particular.

Old 01-12-23, 08:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ha, it may 'go' awesome but i find its looks anything but awesome. the back end in particular.

I actually like it
Old 01-12-23, 08:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Every time we see an EV6 (which is fairly often), my 11 year old daughter says "there's one of those weird looking cars again."
Old 01-12-23, 08:53 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

I like it too and it is weird. haha. The Hyundai and Genesis versions are also weird. But I do not like the Genesis version.

Old 01-12-23, 08:55 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

I think EA never anticipated the number of EV's that would hit the road so soon. They also miscalculated by building inadequate chillers for cooling into their Fast Chargers. According to an EA tech I talked to this summer, the chillers are what are failing. That is most likely the reason why they don't always run at their advertised charging speeds. I'm sure the problem will be fixed, but in the meantime it does affect heavily travelled charging corridors. It's definitely a shame...Tesla thought this out years ago
That makes sense. Well, i hope they get it together soon. Only more EV's will be sold and out on the road from here on out.

EDIT: here is the abbreviated post he made. He had a longer version in his story's but its no longer available.

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by GFerg; 01-12-23 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-12-23, 08:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
Every time we see an EV6 (which is fairly often), my 11 year old daughter says "there's one of those weird looking cars again."
The looks are definitely very subjective. It does look weird, but in a likeable way
Old 01-12-23, 08:58 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I love the looks inside and out.
Old 01-12-23, 08:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
That makes sense. Well, i hope they get it together soon. Only more EV's will be sold and out on the road from here on out.
I work for a medical device startup that built its reputation with investors solving problems that are hard to solve. This is a problem that can be fixed. Let's hope sooner than later!

Quick Reply: Polestar Discussion Thread