EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Polestar Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 07:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

understand, glad you're confident enough in it... maybe i will be soon enough.
Old 02-05-23, 07:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,697 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
understand, glad you're confident enough in it... maybe i will be soon enough.
Been doing it for two years now (1 year with the Polestar) and have never been in danger running out of charge. Google maps is so accurate about what charge you will be at starting and end of your trip, it's pretty freaky. And there is always a fast charger nearby I don't worry about it 🙂. I'm more worried about getting a flat tire as they no longer give spares
Old 02-08-23, 09:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Going out of town tomorrow (6th long distance trip in my Polestar) and will be hitting up two brand new Electrify America charging stations on the route. EA has been touting these, let's see if they are actually better. I've heard they don't do well in freezing temps, thankfully the only thing frozen here is in a freezer
Old 02-09-23, 05:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Got to try out the new EA Chargers at their Bakersfield location. They look a little sleeker, offer a cable that allows you to extend it, faster screen response, and faster initial charging (ran at about 151 kW). They are also silent, I could barely hear the cooling fan. Time will only tell if these will be able to handle the constant loads on them

Old 02-10-23, 10:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

A scenic view through the foothills of one of the many hwy's I take when travelling to Southern Cal. This particular highway (hwy 152) goes through the Diablo range mountains

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iNumfNBmbuMmD5Fq5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U7oVWe3mZg8E45Eg8

I didn't realize how well the mics on my OnePlus pick up sounds....

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-10-23 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-14-23, 10:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yesterday I returned from SoCal, I did a total of 786 miles on this trip. Total of 4 visits to Superchargers during my drive to SoCal and back. Total driving time back and forth 390 miles each way...7 hours. Previous to my arriving, my brother installed a 240v 50a circuit and a NEMA 14-50 plug outside his garage, I used the Polestar provided charging cable with the provided 14-50 adapter to plug in and and charge, so I didn't have to go to Fast charging station during my visit. No issues with superchargers this trip, EA has been replacing their older hardware with their new generation fast chargers, so charging on my way to and back was all smooth sailing.

Now that I have the power upgrade, the additional power and torque really comes in handy. I can go from 50 mph to 100 mph in seconds, and when I need to pass in tight spots, the power is there instantly. Also the throttle remapping brings on the power on much smoother, so if I wanted to elicit an uncomfortable response from my passengers, I would have floor it. The best part is even with the additional power and torque, efficiency has not changed, I'm still averaging nearly 100 MPGe.

Six long distance trips and 13,000 miles later, I'm still loving this car. No rattles, only 1 minor issue (addressed by Polestar), it's been a great commuter and trip car. Other than some minor road noise (no engine), it's relatively quiet at high speeds as they do a good job with dampening, and with AWD and a good center of gravity, it handles about as well as my 2nd gen IS350 did. When the lease it up in 2025, I'll either buy it out or replace it with a Tesla
Old 02-14-23, 12:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,000 Likes on 2,522 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Now that I have the power upgrade, the additional power and torque really comes in handy. I can go from 50 mph to 100 mph in seconds, and when I need to pass in tight spots, the power is there instantly. Also the throttle remapping brings on the power on much smoother, so if I wanted to elicit an uncomfortable response from my passengers, I would have floor it. The best part is even with the additional power and torque, efficiency has not changed, I'm still averaging nearly 100 MPGe
10 years ago if you would have said to me, in the future cars will get software upgrades that boost power output way up without lowering efficiency I would have thought you were nuts.
Old 02-14-23, 12:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
10 years ago if you would have said to me, in the future cars will get software upgrades that boost power output way up without lowering efficiency I would have thought you were nuts.
10 years ago if you told me that you could beat or keep up with a lot of 'unmodified' (NA or turbocharged) V6's and V8's 0-80, and do it while retaining an almost 100 MPG efficiency, I would get on the phone and request a welfare check on that person
Old 02-18-23, 05:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

‘’saw a Polestar ad on tv during the Leaf Game
Old 02-19-23, 06:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

My Polestar came with Michelin Primacy 4 Summer tires, at 13K they look about 50 to 60 percent worn, so I"m starting to look for replacements. I'll either replace them with the same tire:

Or I may go with Continental PROCONTACT RX All Seasons
Old 02-19-23, 06:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Those Michelins are too expensive IMO.
Old 02-23-23, 08:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This morning I'm heading to work, and roads are all wet and cold due to a storm that just dumped rain in the Bay Area. I'm at the light and the road changes from a two lane to a one lane past the light, the guy in the BMW X series SUV next to me has the same idea as me...when the light turns green get to the next light quickly before the lane ends into one. When the light turns green we both put our foots down hard, his wheels begin to spin while I don't even break traction. By the time he gets his footing, I'm already on my way past the next light.

The tracktion is just amazing on my Polestar, even with 502 ft-lbs torque it doesn't even break a sweat, not even a tire chirp. The roads were fairly empty this morning so I tried a few times to get the wheels to spin but couldn't. I'm sure it's pulling some power to keep the wheels from spinning, but you can't even feel it, the control to each wheel is just incredible. I just absolutely love this car.

This is not a knock on ICE cars as I have tons of respect and years of owning and driving so many incredible cars in my life, but I could never go back to an ICE as a daily driver. I can't wait to add a Tesla to the current lineup
Old 02-23-23, 09:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Any real full time awd or 4WD system (with a proper centre diff) will not have any wheel slip on hard acceleration. Nothing unique to EVs.
Old 02-23-23, 07:11 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Any real full time awd or 4WD system (with a proper centre diff) will not have any wheel slip on hard acceleration. Nothing unique to EVs.
It’s hard to explain unless you experience it yourself. Putting power down in an EV is different than an ICE car. I won’t pretend to understand the physics of it but it hooks like no other ICE car I know of. Even with a great AWD system like that of the Porsche or even my GTR doesn’t compare. Plus you never have to worry about bogging off the line. That doesn’t exist in an EV.
Old 02-23-23, 07:22 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
It’s hard to explain unless you experience it yourself. Putting power down in an EV is different than an ICE car. I won’t pretend to understand the physics of it but it hooks like no other ICE car I know of. Even with a great AWD system like that of the Porsche or even my GTR doesn’t compare. Plus you never have to worry about bogging off the line. That doesn’t exist in an EV.
People who don't own EV'S, drive them, or actually know anything about them seem to have a lot to say about them even though in reality they don't really know anything about them. Unfortunate.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​I Guess the best way to explain it is precision control. EV motors can put down precisely the amount of power needed and pull power from individual wheels in microseconds without having to deal with a transmission, driveshafts, differentials etc. Precision control straight from the electric motors directly to the wheel

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-23-23 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Polestar Discussion Thread