EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Long distance trip ev (non Tesla) charging still a big problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-22, 09:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
The Bolt was probably chosen as the example because it has the lowest DC fast charge speed of any EV on sale in North America. I suspect that was already understood when it was given as the example... Most EVs have much more usable DC fast charging then the Bolt. You may as well be suggesting taking an ICE vehicle with a small tank and poor fuel economy on the same trip. It would be equally asinine.
i think she likes the car and overall value. But even super fast charging Porsche and KIA/Hyundai are going to be much slower than Tesla because you have to take longer route.
Old 12-28-22, 09:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

To add to the above, ABRP says the same trip in my Lightning can be done with just over three hours or charging (3:15). Also, you have to let ABRP know to stay within the fastest charge zone. By default it’s likely to be assuming DCFC to 90 or even 100%. DCFC will generally slow significantly after 80 and in particular after 90%.

assuming all the chargers selected work fine, this is best case scenario. If you drove in regular or hybrid F150, it would be 16hr drive.
I think 4:30hr extra is pain in the butt, and I love my EV.
Old 12-28-22, 09:17 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
And for the EV crowd they pick the group that doesn't drive far and says how great they are in California.
Lol yep. SoCal is perfect for them assuming you have a home with a charger. I wonder how much gridlock, LA traffic affects range. It sucks down gas in an ICE car.
Old 12-28-22, 09:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So, this is my route when I go to WV. The gold pins with the Tesla logo are Tesla Superchargers, the gold pins with the electric bolt are Level 3 fast chargers.
Your specific trip is short enough at some 300 miles, that you would always be okay and you can pick that 1 charger anywhere where you like the food better.
With ESQ580, you would have super short break of 10-20m even during winter (4h 44m, similar with Model S or Model 3/X/Y.

Worse EVs like e-tron would take 1hr longer due to 2 charging stops that take long time.

So anyway, you can switch to nice EV tomorrow and you would only see the benefits of EV ownership, such as starting at 100% every day and not having to go to gas station every 1-2 weeks).
Old 12-28-22, 09:33 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Your not accounting for the many thousands "Snowbirds" that travel from northern states(Canada included) to southern states(Florida) every spring and fall. I was one once myself drove 1200mi one way. The present day EV as designed is not meant for it especially with the crappy charger network in the east which is the subject of this thread.
But I wonder what percentage of them actually make that drive several times per year. My next door neighbors did it....ONCE. They flew home, and left their 2nd car at their Florida condo. They now have the flexibility to bounce around as they please--and can go down there multiple different times throughout the year--without having to plan for a 2-3 day drive each way, each time.
Old 12-28-22, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And for those people an EV is not ideal. That doesn't mean it isn't ideal for a whole lot of people.

The issue is the Anti-EV crowd picks a niche group of people and shows that an EV wouldn't work for them and then declares that they "don't work".
no, that isn't the 'issue'. for one, i started the thread and i am NOT 'anti-ev'.
second, the thread is ABOUT long trips. sure an ev may be ideal for daily commuting and errands, etc. and yes, we all know how awesome they are to charge at home and even more awesome if one has solar, etc, etc, but that isn't what this thread is about.

the issue, is you want to change the subject to people who don't take long trips and the 'anti-ev crowd'. take your constant trolling on this elsewhere.
Old 12-28-22, 09:46 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
assuming all the chargers selected work fine, this is best case scenario. If you drove in regular or hybrid F150, it would be 16hr drive.
I think 4:30hr extra is pain in the butt, and I love my EV.
Literally no one is driving a distance like without multiple extended stops, whether they are driving ICE or EV. That four and a half hour difference argument isn’t going to hold up.

Old 12-28-22, 09:50 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol yep. SoCal is perfect for them assuming you have a home with a charger. I wonder how much gridlock, LA traffic affects range. It sucks down gas in an ICE car.
EVs tend to deliver better economy in city driving. An EV that isn’t moving isn’t using much power at all in LA.
Old 12-28-22, 09:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Literally no one is driving a distance like without multiple extended stops, whether they are driving ICE or EV. That four and a half hour difference argument isn’t going to hold up.
what you are saying holds up when discussing over forums, but in reality you will hate taking 2:30 hr detour to charge somewhere.

Also this trip is super long, you might want to sleep somewhere, but same holds on smaller 6hr trips - best case scenario is that they are now 8hrs, reality of slow charging networks outside tesla is that they might actually be 9+hr trips instead of 6 with gas vehicle.

I do 200 mile and 400 mile trips at least 10 times per year, and it is borderline annoying. I can imagine someone doing 600-700 mile trips this often simply never even thinking about EV today, even a Tesla.
Old 12-28-22, 10:04 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
This is a "hell no" from me. One of my last pre-covid work trips was to upstate New York--a 528 mile flight to O'Hare, plus a ~20 mile drive on each end, or a 653 mile drive. My return was on the same day as the end of season party for a local sports organization that I was Commissioner of. About an hour after I left the office, I had dropped off my rental car and was standing at the gate waiting to board, when the 2-hour party began. Upon arrival, I walked a bit quickly to the parking garage, and drove perhaps a bit more quickly straight to the park where we were holding the party. I was there 15 minutes before it ended, and was able to close it out nicely with all the parents, players, and coaches. About 2.5 hours, door-to-door.

Had I been driving, left the office at the same time, and never stopped once for gas, food, to stretch, or go to the bathroom, I would have gotten home at about 1:30 am (~10.5 hr drive). Since I do need to do those things, 3:30 am would be more realistic. But if we're being honest, I wouldn't do that either after being up early and working all day. So it'd be another night in the hotel, a fairly early departure in the morning, and home at 6-7pm. About 24 hours after I actually WAS home.

Post-Covid, I make this same trip every 1-2 months, and now the most convenient flight is actually in the morning, so I do still take that extra night in the hotel (which is nice because I can take my team out on Thursday night). I do have to get up a bit earlier than I'd like, but I'm settled at home by 8am (even with waiting for an Uber) instead of after dinner. Taking the "1-2 hr flight" literally gives me back an entire day.
Did you and Steve have same major? I don't know how your math works () but of course it works in favor for your situation but that's quite unique though. I wouldn't say this is a common situation. No? This thing just popped up in my mind. I was reading it the other day. Italian cop decided to use a Lambo to drive organs to needed ones. I think they drove 300miles in 2 hours. I wonder why they didn't use plane. I guess the point is there are always exceptions.
Old 12-28-22, 10:37 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

EVs tend to deliver better economy in city driving. An EV that isn’t moving isn’t using much power at all in LA.
So if I had a fully charged Tesla the range wouldn't change at all if I had a 1.5 hour commute each way that was 17 miles? It would come home with approximately 35 miles less after B2B traffic for 3 hours say in the brutal heat A/C blasting? Genuinely curious. That was the commute situation when we were there, West LA to Torrance and back.

I couldn't even break 10MPG in my LS430 out there, it was bad. But I was in the thick of it, gridlock.
Old 12-28-22, 11:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

And for the EV crowd they pick the group that doesn't drive far and says how great they are in California.
Do I live in CA?

The fact is the average amount of miles driven in a day is about 35, most people don’t take long trips like that on a regular basis, most families have more than one car, and most houses have a garage or off street parking. Most Americans live in a home and not a condo or apartment. So, the use cases where it really wouldn’t work are niche cases.

Makes no difference. EVs use very little energy when they aren’t moving, totally different than an ICE car which uses more energy when it’s idling.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no, that isn't the 'issue'. for one, i started the thread and i am NOT 'anti-ev'.
second, the thread is ABOUT long trips. sure an ev may be ideal for daily commuting and errands, etc. and yes, we all know how awesome they are to charge at home and even more awesome if one has solar, etc, etc, but that isn't what this thread is about.

the issue, is you want to change the subject to people who don't take long trips and the 'anti-ev crowd'. take your constant trolling on this elsewhere.
Nobody has said an EV is a great option for long trips, so your point makes no sense. Look at all the people in here who have EVs who have said they wouldn’t take them on a long trip, and my question as to how much often one drives on a long trip is incredibly valid.

You may not be “anti EV” but literally everything you post about EVs is about their shortcomings.

So if I had a fully charged Tesla the range wouldn't change at all if I had a 1.5 hour commute each way that was 17 miles? It would come home with approximately 35 miles less after B2B traffic for 3 hours say in the brutal heat A/C blasting? Genuinely curious. That was the commute situation when we were there, West LA to Torrance and back.

I couldn't even break 10MPG in my LS430 out there, it was bad. But I was in the thick of it, gridlock.
Correct, completely different technologies that use energy differently.
Old 12-28-22, 11:27 AM
Lead Lap

Received 793 Likes on 538 Posts

Does Tesla inform owners how long the queue is before directing them to it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ticle-11579649
Old 12-28-22, 11:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Does Tesla inform owners how long the queue is before directing them to it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ticle-11579649
Yes, the navigation system tells you the availability of chargers at each location.
Old 12-28-22, 11:43 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

The main issue for me is that when I travel like I did a couple days ago I don’t want to have to plan to stop. I just want to stop where and when I want. If I’m hungry and I need to charge up how do I know that there is a place I want to eat and charge in the same parking lot or general vicinity where I could walk to do both. If by chance I can’t/don’t want to do both at the same time, that equals two longish stops.

Quick Reply: Long distance trip ev (non Tesla) charging still a big problem