EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Long distance trip ev (non Tesla) charging still a big problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-22, 12:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
The main issue for me is that when I travel like I did a couple days ago I don’t want to have to plan to stop. I just want to stop where and when I want. If I’m hungry and I need to charge up how do I know that there is a place I want to eat and charge in the same parking lot or general vicinity where I could walk to do both. If by chance I can’t/don’t want to do both at the same time, that equals two longish stops.
No question on a long unfamiliar trip like that, the trips I take though are more ordinary and I’ve taken them a ton of times, and I always stop at the same places. For instance I usually stop at the McDonalds in Woodstock and get something to eat, always stop at the WV welcome center to pee, when I had cars that didn’t have this range I always stopped in White Sulphur Springs for gas…adjusting to stopping in Lexington for 20 minutes wouldn’t be a big deal.
Old 12-28-22, 12:17 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with this thread and many others who share the same view is that they are trying to force a circle block in a square hole. I don't think any of the people in this thread are proponents of taking EV's on long road trips, they acknowledge it is a shortcoming. But the anti EV crowd keeps forcing a non issue.... its like the people who **** on EV's and towing. No duh if you take a big Ford Lightning and take it somewhere cold and make it pull a trailer your range will suck? Is that not known from the past decade of EV's being on the road?

At the end of the day, buy the vehicle that suits YOUR NEEDS. I commute to work and bumble around the local areas in my free time but I almost never drive more then 100 miles a day. I also don't go on long road trips as I would rather fly. An EV would work for me perfectly. BUT i don't own one as I live in a condo and don't have a charger. So it doesn't work for my current situation. Which is fine...

If you were a consumer that needed a lot of space, towing capability, long distance range, you have a full market of ICE vehicles. EV's aren't stealing your gas engines from you. Buy that.

/thread
Old 12-28-22, 12:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
The problem with this thread and many others who share the same view is that they are trying to force a circle block in a square hole. I don't think any of the people in this thread are proponents of taking EV's on long road trips, they acknowledge it is a shortcoming. But the anti EV crowd keeps forcing a non issue.... its like the people who **** on EV's and towing. No duh if you take a big Ford Lightning and take it somewhere cold and make it pull a trailer your range will suck? Is that not known from the past decade of EV's being on the road?

At the end of the day, buy the vehicle that suits YOUR NEEDS. I commute to work and bumble around the local areas in my free time but I almost never drive more then 100 miles a day. I also don't go on long road trips as I would rather fly. An EV would work for me perfectly. BUT i don't own one as I live in a condo and don't have a charger. So it doesn't work for my current situation. Which is fine...

If you were a consumer that needed a lot of space, towing capability, long distance range, you have a full market of ICE vehicles. EV's aren't stealing your gas engines from you. Buy that.

/thread
Exactly…and we are a FAR way off from having EVs as the only option.
Old 12-28-22, 01:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nobody has said an EV is a great option for long trips, so your point makes no sense.
YOU have been stating they're a reasonable option because charging doesn't take long, etc. i have even made this thread NOT about tesla, because tesla is an ok option to me on long trips.
YOU are making this about something it's not. i'd really appreciate you not crapping all over threads you don't approve of.

You may not be “anti EV” but literally everything you post about EVs is about their shortcomings.
i posted a video, about a long trip where the youtuber, a MASSIVE ev fan, despite LOVING the bmw ix, shows the shortcomings on a long road trip (doesn't have to be 1100 miles like he did).

there's plenty of positive ev threads you can fanboy in if you want. this was meant to be informative. if you don't like it, you're free to not post in it (please).
Old 12-28-22, 02:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
So if I had a fully charged Tesla the range wouldn't change at all if I had a 1.5 hour commute each way that was 17 miles? It would come home with approximately 35 miles less after B2B traffic for 3 hours say in the brutal heat A/C blasting? Genuinely curious. That was the commute situation when we were there, West LA to Torrance and back.

I couldn't even break 10MPG in my LS430 out there, it was bad. But I was in the thick of it, gridlock.
no, it would not spend 0% on cooling you but you would come home with 50-60 miles less (which is stupid way to calculate battery - you could come home with 10% less battery). And you would recharge at home at equivalent of 2x-5x less than paying for gas at gas pump which means you would not care at all if it spent some energy cooling. EVs are still using lot of energy when AC is running on full, when you drive fast or short commutes. But it does not matter as much since you are not paying a lot for it. IE if i drove super slow in the city and dont use heating/cooling, i would die inside, and pay 30% less in electricity cost. But i pay almost nothing right now, so how much is 30% of almost nothing? $5 per month? For $5 per month, i do 0-60 all day long, and pre-heat/cool my car anytime.
Old 12-28-22, 02:15 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 679 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
no, it would not spend 0% on cooling you but you would come home with 50-60 miles less (which is stupid way to calculate battery - you could come home with 10% less battery).
this is absolutely false. AC in a modern EV is extremely efficient. You would not lose 10% from your SoC with moderate AC use for an hour or so. It gets hotter in my part of California than it does in LA, and my own observed AC consumption is generally reasonably negligible. My vehicle reports what has been consumed on powertrain, climate, accessory use and so on after each trip, and the AC impact in slow commuter traffic is almost always well under 5%. It’s rarely above a couple of percent. Heating has a much bigger impact than AC.

Old 12-28-22, 02:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
YOU have been stating they're a reasonable option because charging doesn't take long, etc. i have even made this thread NOT about tesla, because tesla is an ok option to me on long trips.
YOU are making this about something it's not. i'd really appreciate you not crapping all over threads you don't approve of.
When have I ever said that an EV for a long trip is a good option? I have never said that. It remains for me the only negative in my own decision whether or not to buy an EV. I wouldn't even consider Tesla an ok option on a long trip. I have said that occasional charging for 15-30 minutes is not that big a deal, but of course having to stop 6 times for 30 minutes each on a trip is a HUGE deal.

I would also suggest that you talk to a moderator about someone "crapping on a thread" vs just disagreeing with you. I think I have been very fair and reasonable and courteous towards my fellow members in this thread. You however have been very rude to me, calling me a troll etc. If you don't want to read what I post, just put me on your ignore list.

i posted a video, about a long trip where the youtuber, a MASSIVE ev fan, despite LOVING the bmw ix, shows the shortcomings on a long road trip (doesn't have to be 1100 miles like he did).
Which we all agree with...I'm not sure why pointing out that most people don't drive regularly on trips like that makes you so angry.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-28-22 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-28-22, 02:56 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
this is absolutely false. AC in a modern EV is extremely efficient. .
not just EVs. Toyota and Lexus hybrids have one of most efficient A/c as well. With the baby asleep in back seat, in often leave my Rx450h on and the engine hardly kicks in to recharge the battery.
Old 12-28-22, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703
not just EVs. Toyota and Lexus hybrids have one of most efficient A/c as well. With the baby asleep in back seat, in often leave my Rx450h on and the engine hardly kicks in to recharge the battery.
Thats the hybrid system for you, thats one of the big benefits of ICE cars with 48V systems, the AC still works when the engine cuts off at a stop. In my cars with ESS and no 48V system the AC dies when they are shut off. That efficiency you are seeing is because your hybrid doesn't have a traditional belt driven system, same as an EV.
Old 12-28-22, 03:07 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats the hybrid system for you, thats one of the big benefits of ICE cars with 48V systems, the AC still works when the engine cuts off at a stop. In my cars with ESS and no 48V system the AC dies when they are shut off. That efficiency you are seeing is because your hybrid doesn't have a traditional belt driven system, same as an EV.
Yes, however the Toyota inverter/compressor is driven directly by the 244.8V battery, so I think that's a bit more efficient than the mild hybrid of the 48V system?
Old 12-28-22, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703
Yes, however the Toyota inverter/compressor is driven directly by the 244.8V battery, so I think that's a bit more efficient than the mild hybrid of the 48V system?
I'm sure it is, but the net result is the same benefit.
Old 12-28-22, 03:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Electric motors are dramatically more efficient vs. belt driven compressor.
Old 12-28-22, 04:14 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

How long can the heat or AC stay running if, for example, you were stuck behind a traffic jam or wreck.

Would say an hour longer trip due to stuff like that affect range much?
Old 12-28-22, 04:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
How long can the heat or AC stay running if, for example, you were stuck behind a traffic jam or wreck.

Would say an hour longer trip due to stuff like that affect range much?
They will run for about 2.5 DAYS
Old 12-28-22, 06:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

let’s knock off the personal commentary folks or thread will be closed

also, I’d really love to see answers to the questions in this thread from EV owners who have personal experience with many of the questions posted here, less conjecture from folks who don’t own one

Quick Reply: Long distance trip ev (non Tesla) charging still a big problem