EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model 3 suddenly veers off road, plunges down a cliff

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 07:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
At the risk of this going too off topic, if anyone feels like they need help it is readily available. You can walk into any ER and say I need mental health help, or pick up the phone. Mental illness is highly stigmatized for whatever reason people often feel like they have to deal with everything alone.

tl;dr: don't blow up a building or drive your car of a cliff ask for help instead.
Or just find someone to talk to, it does wonders to have someone who actually listens and is normally all that is needed.

Don't blow up a building or mess with anyone else lol! That's still insane he did that.
Old 01-04-23, 07:23 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

At the risk of this going too off topic,
Just one post about this if allowed and that's all I will say on this thread.

if anyone feels like they need help it is readily available. You can walk into any ER and say I need mental health help, or pick up the phone. Mental illness is highly stigmatized for whatever reason people often feel like they have to deal with everything alone.

tl;dr: don't blow up a building or drive your car of a cliff ask for help instead.
Thank you for saying that.
When a man feels helpless and has nothing less to lose, it can feel like it's over.
But, reality is everyone just needs some help sometimes and it's nothing to be ashmed of and life begins again but better.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Or just find someone to talk to, it does wonders to have someone who actually listens and is normally all that is needed.

Don't blow up a building or mess with anyone else lol! That's still insane he did that.
True words.
Been thru "fun" times myself.
Never thought about hurting anyone else tho, thought never crossed my mind but reality is it would have traumatized my loved ones tremendously.

Any man who has been thru enough trauma has thought about it even if they will never admit it.
But there is sunshine ahead "and this too shall pass"...
That's all I have on that, shutting up now...
Old 01-04-23, 07:29 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

I wonder if the car had a USB stick if so there should be video footage.
Old 01-04-23, 07:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I wonder if the car had a USB stick if so there should be video footage.
Is there not a built in data recorder? I would think with the integrated dash cam there should be at least some way for automatic onboard storage to record something like a crash event.
Old 01-04-23, 07:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Is there not a built in data recorder? I would think with the integrated dash cam there should be at least some way for automatic onboard storage to record something like a crash event.
For video don't think so, external storage. I could be wrong but at one time you could store internally but there wasn't much available space. Tesla sells an SSD for a massively inflated price. Very Apple of them.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/solid-state-drive-_-1-tb

Pathetic.

Telemetry of the crash is stored internally, everything from steering wheel angle, speed, brake pressure etc.
Old 01-04-23, 07:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Over $300 for that? Damn.
Old 01-04-23, 07:47 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

It is a miracle they survived. Thanks to the car, the child car seats and probably a lot of luck. Count your blessings, as they say.
Cal Fire and Rescue, Pacifica Fire. CHP and others are heroes. They were repelling down withing minutes ot the 911 call.
When one of the Firemen saw an arm moving, they immeadiately switched form recovery to rescue.

I kinda have a problem with all the headlines, news, etc. saying "Tesla crash"; you don't hear "Camry crash"; this is sensationalism at its best.
Many people immeadiately blame the car when in fact, to survive a 250+ fall like this speaks tons to the Model Y's safety.

Anyways, let's hope the family is OK and that the crash was in fact an accident. If it was intentional, this is insanity. They will be scarred for life.
Old 01-04-23, 07:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I kinda have a problem with all the headlines, news, etc. saying "Tesla crash"; you don't hear "Camry crash"; this is sensationalism at its best.
You're absolutely right, same deal when there is fatal accident it's a Tesla fatal accident. Any other brand, fatal accident. In this case it made Tesla look good, but why did they keep saying over and over the specific vehicle?
Many people immediately blame the car when in fact, to survive a 250+ fall like this speaks tons to the Model Y's safety.
Model 3, but almost the same car.

Old 01-04-23, 08:06 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Model 3, but almost the same car.
Did they say ir was a Model 3? It looks like a Y to me. Not sure.
Old 01-04-23, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

You're absolutely right, same deal when there is fatal accident it's a Tesla fatal accident.

That's because, with the possible exception of Cadillac, most other automakers aren't trying to push self-driving vehicles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-04-23 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 08:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Did they say ir was a Model 3? It looks like a Y to me. Not sure.
They said Tesla sedan that could be wrong. I think I see a trunk lid not a hatch, very hard to tell.
Old 01-04-23, 08:20 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

I kinda have a problem with all the headlines, news, etc. saying "Tesla crash"; you don't hear "Camry crash"; this is sensationalism at its best..
Glad I'm not the only one raising an eyebrow on that.
They just can't help themselves.
Old 01-04-23, 08:34 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Glad I'm not the only one raising an eyebrow on that.
They just can't help themselves.
I noticed that as well when I first saw the report on the news. Not sure why they needed to highlight the make of the car. In this case it just makes the car look better but it’s really not why they highlighted it.
Old 01-05-23, 04:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This was my exact thought. Last month, there was another crash in California where a Hyundai drove over a cliff and fell 300 feet and the couple survived. There was no mention of the brand of car in the headlines ... only much further down in the article. I'm seeing plenty of people on line saying "Oh that's because they want to promote how safe Teslas are." Ha! Don't be fooled...there is 100% a media bias against Tesla, which is probably 10x worse now that Musk owns Twitter. I'm no Tesla fan boy or defender, but it's patently obvious when there's any crash or fire with a Tesla.
Originally Posted by patgilm
I noticed that as well when I first saw the report on the news. Not sure why they needed to highlight the make of the car. In this case it just makes the car look better but it’s really not why they highlighted it.
Because they are tacitly trying to imply that crash may have been caused by Tesla's AutoPilot; but it would be irresponsible journalism to actually state this without any facts, so if they just highlight that it's a Tesla, everyone else will do that for them. And there's members right here in this thread feeding into that hype.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-05-23 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-05-23, 06:47 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

This was a suicide attempt, that the media is playing into another anti-Musk/Tesla story.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/04/dharme...-off-ca-cliff/

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 suddenly veers off road, plunges down a cliff