New RX300 owner. Tampa Bay questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 11:28 PM
changenme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RX300 owner. Tampa Bay questions

Hello,

I am new to Club Lexus and a new RX 300 owner, I have been to a number of other Lexus club sites but none compare to this one. I must say kudos to the moderators and site owners.

Here is my question, I hope that this was not answered somewhere else if so please point me to that thread. I have read all of the information about brakes pads and rotors and how to replace them. I wanted to know exactly what brake pads should I buy and where from, also what rotors should I get and where from. I do not need new brake pads or rotors but it is a nice to know so that it is at my finger tips. I have seen where people ordered their rotor off of eBay is that a good place to go and should I get ceramic pads. Lastly if there is anyone in the Tampa Bay area that knows how to replace brake pads or know a reasonable mechanic please let me know. I am guessing that it is more cost effective to buy the parts, then have someone install them rather than taking it to a dealer to do. My area of expertise does not lay in car mechanics but in computers so DIY maybe out of the question.

Also can anyone tell me if I can change my head lights to the Blue lights instead of the ones that come stock and how do I get the oxidation off of the casing.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 07-29-06, 04:42 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to Clublexus....
Old 07-29-06, 07:21 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL and congrats on landing a fresh RX300 (just as good as the RX330 IMO). Your questions about brake pads and rotors geared towards your RX may be better answered if you browse in the RX300 forum and ask questions there, or better yet, utilize the search engine within that forum, and you may get the answer you're looking for. As far as finding a Tampa local who specializes in replacing brake pads, you're in the right spot. Unfortunately I'm in Orlando, but I know that there are a few members here from Tampa who may chime in, so just wait patiently

Finally, to clean off the oxidation from your headlights, I suggest applying Meguiar's PlastX on them, which can be found at any auto parts store like Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, or Pep Boys. They run about $5 to $6 each. Good luck.
Old 08-10-06, 07:13 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Senior Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually dont know any honest mechanics who know what they are doing in the area. I usually do most of my own work, due to the fact.

As to where to buy. I would buy Toyota OEM pads, as they have proven to be the best.

Here is a website with great pricing:

http://www.irontoad.com/Merchant2/me...Code=2001rx300

$45 for brake pads (each axle) sounds like a deal.

IF i were you, i would first check the transmission fluid. Its easy to change, and a good item to check on any used car.
I dont check this forum often, so PM me if you need any help