Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

My nightmare has become a reality!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-06, 07:57 AM
BoostenSC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My nightmare has become a reality!!!

Well on the way home from work on Wed. my waterpump took a ****** on the 417 causing what I believe is a blown headgasket or two on my 1UZFE (V8 motor) . Now Lexus has already given me there extremely large estimate to fix what they think is the problem making that option, not an option. So my plan of dropping a 1JZ has been bumped up a couple month against my will. Heres the nightmare, my mechanic is 250 mile SOUTH in Ft. Lauderdale!!! (K&E) I have know way to get the car down there that is cost effective. Shipping it would be 500+, towing it myself is 300+, etc.

So now I depend on my SC family to help me out. Who knows a good shop in the Central Florida area who can install and wire up a 1JZGTE? It doesnt even have to be a shop, I just need EXPERIENCE here. Someone experienced with the install who can get my car back to me in a reasonable timeframe. My SC was my daily, and I work all the way in Lake Mary, so I need to get back on the road asap. Now Ive spoken to a couple people who have done the install themselves andsaid it wasnt that bad, but with my low level of mechanical experience I cant afford to start another doiturself project. Who can help me out, or any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Chris
Old 10-01-06, 09:06 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

if you havent already, id try hitting Chino up.. (got_trd).. i know hes done quite a few 1JZ swaps..
Old 10-01-06, 10:17 AM
BoostenSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by IS_250
if you havent already, id try hitting Chino up.. (got_trd).. i know hes done quite a few 1JZ swaps..
Yeah I sent him a PM earlier, just waiting on a reply. Any other suggestions. Also does anybody have a truck and trailor, cause I would pay to towe in down South..
Old 10-01-06, 02:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

try grip industries in Melbourne... Just a thought..

T
Old 10-01-06, 05:41 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you will think I am nuts but Majic Mechanic is an option here in Orlando.
And there is another mechanic that is in Orlando that does good work on Lexus # is 407-695-3838.

They are like half of the price of the dealership.
Old 10-02-06, 04:33 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my offer still stands... just get with Kevin and see if he'll help with the wiring differences since its going into an sc400. everything else is cake
Old 10-02-06, 04:47 AM
BoostenSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by got_trd
my offer still stands... just get with Kevin and see if he'll help with the wiring differences since its going into an sc400. everything else is cake
Ight Chino, Pm sent
Old 10-05-06, 07:31 AM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Grip Industries has 1JZs in stock, located in east central florida.

www.grip-industries.com
Old 10-06-06, 04:08 PM
BoostenSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by bmsport
Grip Industries has 1JZs in stock, located in east central florida.

www.grip-industries.com

Their prices are a bit high, dont u think? $2200 for a 1J Thanks for the suggestion though. I do need a good place to buy a 1JZGTE. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-07-06, 03:27 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BoostenSC4
Their prices are a bit high, dont u think? $2200 for a 1J Thanks for the suggestion though. I do need a good place to buy a 1JZGTE. Any other suggestions?

Compared to what?
Old 10-07-06, 07:46 AM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Not for a low mileage warrantied engine from a reputable source that's not missing any peices like intercooler, piping, sensors, etc.
Old 10-07-06, 09:34 PM
BoostenSC4
Driver

Im noticeing from searching that 1JZ prices have gone up a little in the last couple month. I remember picing them in July for $1300.00 complete. Also from a reputable source.. 1JZ and 2JZ arent that off in price these days. My source has 2JZ for $2500-$2700. Thats who I was comparing the price too.
Old 10-08-06, 06:18 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

I would like to offer a few suggestions, If your going to hire it out it would be a good idea to get with your mechanic on what you and him think is a complete engineset, there seems to be allot of confusion in this department.Buying the right engine set for your project is key.

Also knowledge of the "swap" is good but experience is even better, as buying the engineset is the easy part. Shopping for price and saving a few hundred dollars is good but taking trips to the Toyota/Lexus dealer is pricey. In the end you get what you pay for.Remember that there are places that sell engines and places that sell engines and do the work.Not to mention free tech support, I know tech support sounds funny when it comes to engine swaps but it could help you and your mechanic out when things get ugly.

last but not least your project may have a few hurdles, as I think you may need a few odd ball parts and some extra brain power to be successful with trading your v8 for a inline six, such as crossmembers, driveshafts, differentials, and wiring that probably is not documented as well as the 2jzge too 1jzgte or 2jzgte.

At the same time in no way pushing a sale here as I keep pretty busy and sales are good, I just like people to be successful with there projects and not get stuck for months and even years with there non running swaps.

One of the first signs I see of a problembed swap are in your original post title, words like nightmare, your trusted mechanic being to far,looking to save a few dollars. Your about to drop 5 grand with parts and labor so a few dollars isn't going help much.Good luck with your project.
Old 10-11-06, 06:51 PM
BoostenSC4
Driver

Thanks for the words of wisdom...
Old 10-12-06, 12:02 PM
BLKDOUT430
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PRIOR
PLANNING
PREVENTS
POOR
PERFORMANCE

Just Messing with you man. Its all apart of the game. Hopefully you get 1 of the 3 projects out on the road soon!

BOOSTENSC4 0 for 3
BLKDOUT430 2 for 2 (as of tommorow)

Quick Reply: My nightmare has become a reality!!!