Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Vvti 1jzgte

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 10:18 AM
BoostenSC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vvti 1jzgte

Had a few questions regarding the VVTI 1J, hopefully you all can help me not make a mistake. Well swapping out my V8, finally and stumbled upon a 96 Soarer front clip for a very reasonable price. Only problem is the motor is a VVTI 1JZGTE. I was thrilled about this at first but havent really heard good things about the motor due to the fact its Map or Maf sensor driven unlike the regular 1J which is different. Is the motor capable of making big power in the long run? I dont know anyone with this motor I can talk to, which is giving me a feeling its not a very liked motor.

I was set on buying the motor tomorrow but based on the comments I receive here, may hold off on this idea. So anybody ever hear of a big power 1JZGTE VVTI? What are ways of getting around the map or maf situation? Should I just get a regular 1J non VVTI?
Old 01-24-07, 09:29 PM
BLKDOUT430
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good motor, i like the fact that its a front clip and not just a motor, hopefully all th e little pieces. SC back on the road Doing big thing in the 07, let me know if you need any help getting parts.
Old 02-05-07, 02:58 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its more than likely a map sensor if i recall, but map sensor is the way to go with turbo...

Maf systems can still make power as well. There are plenty of na-t guys that still use a maf sensor (is300 guys for example).

If you dont want the clip let me know. Maybe ill make use of it
Old 02-06-07, 03:17 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

It's an awesome engine, the only thing is that the level of knowledge regarding the engine here in the states is very poor. As you have noticed. I was going this route but had the same concerns you have, and because of that I went with a regular 1j.To be honest I have not come accross anyone making big power, then again what do you consider Big power. I know 1 person who had it and was making 415rwhp. He had to manufacter the turbo manifold himself since one was nowhere to be found. If he would of been patient he would of made more power with the new V-manage from Greddy which controls the cams and a few other things for additional HP.
I would keep asking around for info on it before making a decision on it. I know someone who will be able to wire it up and get it running like stock. If you interested. if you just want to drop it in and run it that way in stock form you shouldn't have a problem. As far as internals it's that same except for the head which is different due to the vvti. Oh and it's a MAP sensor.

Last edited by drewgo; 02-06-07 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-23-07, 10:16 PM
BoostenSC4
Driver

Got a 2JZGTE, couldnt bother to travel in unchartered territory.