Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Who Did You Blow Away Today Or Vice Versa

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 07:22 AM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeLex
Thanks Ed. I do like that turbine spool up sound - as you know my entire career has been designing/working on mainly flight turbine engines. Just the other day, I commented to my younger son that when the SC's T71 DBB/billet turbo spools, it sounds like a flight turbine engine spooling up ( certainly not as loud, though ). I wonder if the BMW was near me long enough to 'hear' the spool - I think not
Terry, I notice when you spooled and let off next to me on University going to hooters it sounds nice but I am concern with the long Surge come from the turbo.
Old 10-10-09, 08:05 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DINH300
Terry, I notice when you spooled and let off next to me on University going to hooters it sounds nice but I am concern with the long Surge come from the turbo.
what surge , terry was moderating boost with his foot as opposed to boost controller , i do it all the time

that turbo he has has no known surge issues like other turbos
Old 10-10-09, 10:28 AM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^agree.... especially when you brake boost... OMG!
Old 10-10-09, 09:41 PM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
what surge , terry was moderating boost with his foot as opposed to boost controller , i do it all the time

that turbo he has has no known surge issues like other turbos
You know what your right that turbo has no known surge at all I must have mistaken it for something else.
Old 10-10-09, 10:19 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what your right that turbo has no known surge at all I must have mistaken it for something else.

Terry my gentle giant friend ..I know this is going to drive you Effen crazy ..But I won't be a friend if I didn't agree with Dihn. Your turbo does surge a little not anything out of hand.But there is some trace of surge..Hope you don't crash me with your size 18in shoe..
Old 10-11-09, 03:34 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by //LRD
Terry my gentle giant friend ..I know this is going to drive you Effen crazy ..But I won't be a friend if I didn't agree with Dihn. Your turbo does surge a little not anything out of hand.But there is some trace of surge..Hope you don't crash me with your size 18in shoe..
from when terry was next to me i heard no such thing , its easy to mistake surge for moderating boost with your foot , the only way you can really say its surge if terry plants his foot holds it and then see if surging or not .. terry did not have room to just plant it

the pte71billet dbb has no known surge characteristics sir , the 74 and 76mm have surge issues which is why those tend to come with the ported cover but the 67 and 71 mm no known surges..

i was next to him a few times and i heard no surges , i dont know what you and dinh were listening to
Old 10-11-09, 05:00 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i was next to him a few times and i heard no surges , i dont know what you and dinh were listening to

surge ..I know what I heard ..And for your info I saw and heard Terry hit it at least twice and had to back off do to lack of running room.. I was right next him ..As I stated earlier it's a slight surge.
Old 10-11-09, 05:35 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

On my way home from Daisy Dukes after Towers last night, minding my own buisness with Seth just behind me, when I pass a BMW645. The 645 driver, with girlfriend/wife, must not have liked that he was being passed, so the next thing I know he's right next to me. Now mind you that this Bimmer has rims with a nice lip, but I'm not sure anything else. Well we probably know what happens next, turbo spools and the red car runs ( not walks ) away from the Bimmer. I slow and he does the flyby trick, so I spool again and go for the 'blow-by.' At this point he is done as I hit XXX mph. So, red SC 1, BMW 0.
It was fun to watch (from afar); I wanted to play but was literally about to run out of gas.. and then when I did catch up (after they had slowed) the bimmer wanted NOTHING to do with me
Old 10-11-09, 08:15 PM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

from when terry was next to me i heard no such thing , its easy to mistake surge for moderating boost with your foot , the only way you can really say its surge if terry plants his foot holds it and then see if surging or not .. terry did not have room to just plant it

the pte71billet dbb has no known surge characteristics sir , the 74 and 76mm have surge issues which is why those tend to come with the ported cover but the 67 and 71 mm no known surges..

No its not moderating boost because I heard Terry when he cross Stirling and went into boost for a split second and let off due to traffic. I know what Surge sounds like and that is definitely not Moderating boost.

From what I know there is no such thing as no surge. thats what someone over at turbos direct told me you can only minimize it but can get rid of it.
Old 10-12-09, 10:37 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

I do get some surge - I will be changing my TiAl Q BOV's to a lower spring pressure to see if that eliminates/reduces the surge.
Old 10-12-09, 10:52 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

I do get some surge - I will be changing my TiAl Q BOV's to a lower spring pressure to see if that eliminates/reduces the surge.
i guess i stand corrected then , from what i heard it sounded like moderating boost with foot as opposed to wastegate

whenyou say surge are you guys taliking about flutter
Old 10-12-09, 11:01 AM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Terry, Here's what I can tell you about the subject. At first I was running an 11psi spring on my first set up 4 years ago. I had an anti-surge housing and still got surge. So I ordered a softer spring from Tial. The only one smaller then an 11psi is a 7psi, But it opens my bov under vacuum, but It fixed my surge problem. So the right spring is something between 7 & 11psi. Now here is the good part. I picked up a Q Bov and loe-and-behold they have a .6 bar which is 8 and a half psi. In my opinion its the right combo for JZ's running Cams.
Surge is minimal on my set up. You might want to check out the new Recirculating BOV that Tial has. I was tempted to go this route for my set up.
Old 10-12-09, 12:11 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

i guess i stand corrected then , from what i heard it sounded like moderating boost with foot as opposed to wastegate

whenyou say surge are you guys taliking about flutter
Actually you are right. You can get surge when you feather the gas. You are not really at WOT but are still spooling. Because you are not letting all the air in to the intake and your BOV is not open you can experience surge and sometimes big time. (choochoo chooo spssst!)
Old 10-12-09, 01:24 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drewgo
Terry, Here's what I can tell you about the subject. At first I was running an 11psi spring on my first set up 4 years ago. I had an anti-surge housing and still got surge. So I ordered a softer spring from Tial. The only one smaller then an 11psi is a 7psi, But it opens my bov under vacuum, but It fixed my surge problem. So the right spring is something between 7 & 11psi. Now here is the good part. I picked up a Q Bov and loe-and-behold they have a .6 bar which is 8 and a half psi. In my opinion its the right combo for JZ's running Cams.
Surge is minimal on my set up. You might want to check out the new Recirculating BOV that Tial has. I was tempted to go this route for my set up.
Dre, that's what I'm going to do - I have TiAl Q BOV's, so I'm going to install the .6 bar springs
Old 10-12-09, 09:20 PM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

So, today is another day that has gone by with such boredom that I start to burn gas. After leaving Jimmy's shop I decided to take 595 home. As I jumped onto 595 this Fox body Pony with roll cage and the works decided he wants to speed up and cut me off before the merge he steps on it from behind and he cuts in front of me soo close that I felt the dynamics on the car change dramatically. needless to say I didn't care much at all I was just cruising and wanted to get home in one piece. as we merge into 595 I see an opening in the middle lane and go for it hugging it to myself. The pony got next to me and when traffic slowed down to a 40 I heard "rice baby rice" and he starts to play around with me staying in one gear and just hitting it and letting off. when we get pass university it cleared up, the pony took the first opening and I followed but he had a 2 car start and I was catching up I took the car up to 120 but there was not enough room to catch him but he flips on his hazards. when we get pass hiatus traffic opened up again but leaving his lane open and I had to play catch up again but this time I was on his *** and letting off at 100.

My exit was coming up to go south on I-75 and he was taking the sawgrass express way. decided to give it another try and followed him onto the sawgrass. as we both get on, there is no traffic what so ever I get into boost and neck and neck with him and started to pull away at 100 and letting off at 120 with a 1 car gain. he wanted a second run this time he had pulled away from me at 60 mph by 1 car and after 120 I got necked with him and after 140 half a car. I exit off of commercial and went home I believe he was on spray.

Quick Reply: Who Did You Blow Away Today Or Vice Versa