Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR)/Old Moroso - not what it pretends to be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-09, 11:31 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR)/Old Moroso - not what it pretends to be?

So i've only been to PBIR three times, but color me unimpressed. I realize they are still in the process of a major redesign, but when you start throwing out "world class" and "international" religiously I think you should live up to the image. In the three times i've been there, things have gotten progressively worse. The first was for armdrop live; the armdrop guys seemed to have their house in order but the crew at PBIR looked like it was the first time they had ever done an event with more than 5 people.

The second time I went - I don't even remember what the event was, but it was at the drag track. This event had a larger turnout, and seemed to have even more issues from the PBIR side.

Today was pretty much the tip of the iceberg - got there at 5:30 and caught what was supposed to be the end of the NSCRA and was absolutely amazed at the sheer disarray. The NSCRA event appears to have been running late/behind (like all the events i've been to there, so far). The guy on the P.A. spoke almost exclusively spanish (which I do not speak) and was unintelligible to most people. I had paid $25x2 (two drivers) for test & tune. We were there for almost 5 hours and got to make TWO runs. yes, TWO! They have people walking around in front of cars, cars going the wrong way down the return from the drag strip, cars/people/ATV's/motorcycles/scooters all over the staging area. It's a complete disaster(to me). The bathrooms are absolutely the most disgusting thing i've ever seen. The food trailer is about the same. The "top quality grand stand seating" is a little less than top quality. It's pretty filthy. They don't appear to make any effort to keep the place clean while people are there, they just let mayhem ensue.

(PS - yes, I know my car had two less-than-impressive runs, but this has NOTHTING to do with that.. I am really questioning the way the track is run, and if it's "normal" or not?)
Old 04-05-09, 02:32 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

What did u run? And how was the track prep?
Old 04-05-09, 05:51 AM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
So i've only been to PBIR three times, but color me unimpressed. I realize they are still in the process of a major redesign, but when you start throwing out "world class" and "international" religiously I think you should live up to the image. In the three times i've been there, things have gotten progressively worse. The first was for armdrop live; the armdrop guys seemed to have their house in order but the crew at PBIR looked like it was the first time they had ever done an event with more than 5 people.

The second time I went - I don't even remember what the event was, but it was at the drag track. This event had a larger turnout, and seemed to have even more issues from the PBIR side.

Today was pretty much the tip of the iceberg - got there at 5:30 and caught what was supposed to be the end of the NSCRA and was absolutely amazed at the sheer disarray. The NSCRA event appears to have been running late/behind (like all the events i've been to there, so far). The guy on the P.A. spoke almost exclusively spanish (which I do not speak) and was unintelligible to most people. I had paid $25x2 (two drivers) for test & tune. We were there for almost 5 hours and got to make TWO runs. yes, TWO! They have people walking around in front of cars, cars going the wrong way down the return from the drag strip, cars/people/ATV's/motorcycles/scooters all over the staging area. It's a complete disaster(to me). The bathrooms are absolutely the most disgusting thing i've ever seen. The food trailer is about the same. The "top quality grand stand seating" is a little less than top quality. It's pretty filthy. They don't appear to make any effort to keep the place clean while people are there, they just let mayhem ensue.

(PS - yes, I know my car had two less-than-impressive runs, but this has NOTHTING to do with that.. I am really questioning the way the track is run, and if it's "normal" or not?)
Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx

What up Seth, listen i would pay to watch the two of you go at head to head on the track.....Can we please make this happen as a matter of fact can we all get together for a track day where we're not sitting on the stands..
Old 04-05-09, 08:09 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Man you guys sidetracked my crazy rant! :P

The times are somewhat embarrassing - this was my first time on the track so I honestly think i could do better (notice my poor reaction time) with at least the chance at a second run (see above, that's what I was pissed about)..

(Full auto, sport mode, trac ON):

Me = right; G35 coupe (modded?) = left. Poor reaction time. I was also in full auto mode (I had lined up, then PBIR went into their clusterf&$#! mode so I had to sit there for almost 30 minutes.. turned off car, etc.. forgot to go back into manual )

My brother in law's run in my car (full auto, no sport mode, trac ON):

if you look at the time up top - 7:10 vs 8:54 you'll see it took almost TWO HOURS after his run for me to get mine:

IS-F = right, Evo/STI (couldnt tell.. was too far away) = left
Old 04-05-09, 08:13 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Slips posted (poor quality.. too lazy to scan!).. the track prep was actually the only decent thing they had going for them, I think.

Originally Posted by //LRD
What up Seth, listen i would pay to watch the two of you go at head to head on the track.....Can we please make this happen as a matter of fact can we all get together for a track day where we're not sitting on the stands..
I'd totally be up for this; admittedly being a complete amateur.. it's still a blast. Test and tune at PBIR is normally on Wednesday and Friday's, assuming you don't have another track in mind. You guys all have your fancy TT'ed SC's though so I'm never going to be able to keep up
Old 04-05-09, 01:02 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Im down for a track day 100%. From the runs ive had with friends my car should run Sub 12.5 times. Cant wait to put the car to the test