Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Singlesville

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 12:55 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drewgo
Hey Hey HEY! Leave Dre out of this one!.....

You guys keep on keepin on... I am learning here. This is good stuff believe it or not. By standers reap alot of knowledge watching great debates, I am actually understanding Jordan's point and Ed's point. So x2
dre remember when you came by myhouse just when i finished putting in new tranny , you asked why it was running slightly in the mid to upper 13's and after we went around the corner it leaned out to mid to high 14's

remember the other day when i was by you house and car sat idling while we talked where was i idling at , in the high 14's to low 15's , no o2 fb enabled
Old 09-15-09, 01:01 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten quite a few phone calls from this thread today LOL! The end result of this is maximizing the most safe power for all of us. Ed, if your coolant decides to stay put, any idea when your hitting the rollers?
Old 09-15-09, 01:10 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shaodome
I've gotten quite a few phone calls from this thread today LOL! The end result of this is maximizing the most safe power for all of us. Ed, if your coolant decides to stay put, any idea when your hitting the rollers?
well supposed to pick up coated housing from hotshots on thursday , then next week send inj to be cleaned so maybe next 2 weeks or so

and i agree with the statement " ultimately making safe power" is the key
Old 09-15-09, 01:34 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Injectors to be cleaned? Excuses excuses...lol... witchhunter is awesome for that btw..and CHEAP. Used to send all my shaved nissan injectors to them. Why are you cleaning them since you run on the rich side a bit?
Old 09-15-09, 02:03 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Injectors to be cleaned? Excuses excuses...lol... witchhunter is awesome for that btw..and CHEAP. Used to send all my shaved nissan injectors to them. Why are you cleaning them since you run on the rich side a bit?
actually not on rich side at all, alpha does not tune that way .. washing down cyl walls is just as bad as burning up the cyl
my a/f at 21psi is rock steady 11.5 when i goto 23.5 11.9-12.1 thats why i need to retune since all boostleaks have been cleared and have new turbo on
alpha wants to make sure injectors are spraying cleanly and evenly prior to retune

darin at titan the other day emailed me as well and highly recc once a year to have performance injectors cleaned

so you have used witchunter , i have read about them but i was going to send them to rc eng directly
Old 09-15-09, 02:16 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

11.5 is the rich side....I thought I recall you saying 11.0-11.5. Its going to take a LOT more than 11.0 to wash down a cylinder wall. Look at how insanely rich the GTE runs stock....9.Xs My point was, if you had an injector flowing a touch under than what it is rated, the margin built into your tune would accommodate for it. Did you buy the injectors new?

RC seems to be the common name...just had a friend send them to RC and one week after back in the car it seized up...could very much be isolated experience. Have you checked with Fuel Injector Clinic in Palm Beach? My 750s came from him with and all where flow matched to 751cc except one that was 750cc.
Old 09-15-09, 02:21 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have RC Injectors I suggest sending them out to them for cleaning/caliberation. I had mine done back in March when I had the stuck injector issue. If my memory is correct it was $12.00 per injector and the turn around was quick. They were overnighted Monday and were back on Wednesday...
Old 09-15-09, 02:27 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

11.5 is the rich side....I thought I recall you saying 11.0-11.5. Its going to take a LOT more than 11.0 to wash down a cylinder wall. Look at how insanely rich the GTE runs stock....9.Xs .
and your point is , you think constantly running low to mid 10's in high boost applications is safe , then you got alot to learn about the jz motors

it will and has washed down cylinder walls diluting the oil thining it to the point of little to no viscosity and bam bearings fail.. it happens often with running to rich in high boost

i have personally seen this occur

stock tt mode and i do mean stock you can get away with it but not under higher boost applications

running mid 11'a a/f gives a safety margin for rem wb takes a overall avg of cyls how do you know cyl 6 is not running at 12.5 while wb shows avg of 11.8 not a good mix imo running 23psi on pump you feel me (alpha taught me this concept which i confirmed with darin,and john reed)

my point is 11.3 to 11.6 at max boost to me is safe .. no need to run 10.9 etc for at that point you are just flooding cyl with more fuel making it harder to ignite..some like to run around 12 but there i see egt climb to fast when mid 11's egt stay nice and power delivery is smooth across full rpm band

Last edited by lexforlife; 09-15-09 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 02:39 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

jordan

have you ever used fuel inj clinic for just cleaning of injectors..
Old 09-15-09, 02:59 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

High 10s is STILL not washing down your cylinder walls with fuel, sorry to say...regardless of whether its a JZ or not. I know too much fueling goes past the the rings, thins the oil etc etc, but running in the 10.X will NOT cause that unless you have already a shoddy ring seal or some serious blow bye to start. In your situation where you saw this occur there could be several things causing the thinning oil including crank case ventilation at higher boost. Matt Faul and DaveH where reportedly pushing out nearly a quart of oil each pass at 30+psi due to ventilation issues (and possibly a loose ring gap to account for thermal expansion). Speaking of washing walls...ask Stephan @ STP...his AEM EMS FAILED and locked the injectors open flooding the engine with fuel thinning the oil and shortly after spun a bearing. Sorry had too There is a story like this out there for every tuning solution from SAFC to MoTeC

Of course the wideband takes into an account of all the cylinders...as nice and ballerific as some of these cars are we are not running individual EGT or Widebands for individual cylinder trim. The best alternative to that is to read each plug after a hard pull.

The only thing I see about running say 10.8AFR vs 11.5AFR at 20psi vs 10psi would be on the basis of cylinder leakage...meaning you are going to get a certain amount of blowbye regardless...more boost = more blowbye, which means more into the oil. Frankly we are talking about a smaller difference here in overall amount of fuel and really just giving up power to run that rich. I really wish I sent in the oil sample for evaluation before going single (forgot as rushing to prepare for last friday) because the car was running in the 10s for the last 2 years at 19psi on the JDM twins making ~ 400whp. That is still a lot of boost and dead rich. I can tell you this, at my first oil change, it didn't smell flooded with fuel

Lets face it...none of us run that rich on a proper setup anyways, so why debate it?

I have not used FIC for there cleaning abilities, so I can't vouch for them, they are just semi-local as a matter of convenience though...
Old 09-15-09, 03:10 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

i didnt say high 10's i said running 10 to mid 10's = not good

running 10 to mid 10 consistently will dilute your oil , nuff said running mid to high 10's is actually killing power for you are now making spark more diff to ignite

why add that into the equation.. all tuners will agree running closer to high 11's to 12 is ideal but no recc on pump gas as opposed to 110 or c16 given its forgiving higher octane nature

so hence why alpha on pump will stay on the crest of being safe , not to rich not to lean for the sake of bad gas
Old 09-15-09, 03:53 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy at this rate I'd hate to see what a pissing contest would look like..LOL

But I have to admit all this reading is very edjamacational ..

E manage running 24 psi on pump gas running in the low 11's to mid 11's . To each his own can !!! Can't we all just boost along..
Old 09-15-09, 04:03 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by //LRD
Boy at this rate I'd hate to see what a pissing contest would look like..LOL

But I have to admit all this reading is very edjamacational ..

E manage running 24 psi on pump gas running in the low 11's to mid 11's . To each his own can !!! Can't we all just boost along..
no pissing contest here just an exchange of info .. jordan def knows what he knows and i give

you guys on piggybacks need to LEARN a/f are just a part although critical part , but just part of the equation when starting to creep up in boost

just because a/f are in the 11's does not mean timing is where it needs to be and the higher on pump gas you go the more critical timing settings become ..
Old 09-15-09, 04:10 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

heres a video of a supra racing a bike

esp for john , take note of his wideband and his egt gauge in the middle pillar pod

he was running on stock ecu with twin pumps so fuel was there but timing was off

although a/f remained stable egts went thru the roof and bam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2sQ9...om=PL&index=25
Old 09-15-09, 05:20 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

We've all seen that video of epic fail....I have not recommended staying at stock timing, hence the reason this debate started. Its not just "guys with piggy backs" its any buddy running into the 500whp+ range where timing of the factory ECU becomes a problem...remember, there are tons of 2JZGTE engines running around near the 500hp mark on the stock ECU, stock fuel and stock timing. Many of those engines are running just fine and have for a while.

You are NA-T which is a whole different planet, and frankly much more what I am used to dealing with...than factory turbo setups.

Quick Reply: Singlesville