Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Singlesville

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 01:54 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the rate your going that could be sometime after new years though I will definitely be there (as long as its not Oct 1-5). Yesterday I actually shot him an e-mail mentioning our debate and Jon's car running 24psi on pump, but he never responded :-/ IF you don't mind, I have the AEMPro software...can I just connect my laptop to it and check it out? I won't make any changes....except that which will make you slower
Old 09-16-09, 02:07 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shaodome
At the rate your going that could be sometime after new years though I will definitely be there (as long as its not Oct 1-5). Yesterday I actually shot him an e-mail mentioning our debate and Jon's car running 24psi on pump, but he never responded :-/ IF you don't mind, I have the AEMPro software...can I just connect my laptop to it and check it out? I won't make any changes....except that which will make you slower
i appreciate the offer but one thing alpha has asked me not to do is send my cal file to anyone without his permission , just respecting the wishes of my tuner but you are welcome to see it on my computer or wait for the dyno
Old 09-16-09, 02:29 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

that would be more than fine for what i'm looking for...I don't actually WANT the cal file as I don't have an AEM....but I would love to just peak at the timing map.
Old 09-16-09, 02:36 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

that would be more than fine for what i'm looking for...I don't actually WANT the cal file as I don't have an AEM....but I would love to just peak at the timing map.
well im shooting for either next thursday or the following thursday or sat to fly him in my .81 will be ready for pick friday this week , mon i send out inj to clean will have them back by wed to reinstall and regardless of slight hg leak its going on dyno , i can always change it after for i will be using same hg anyways
Old 09-16-09, 03:55 PM
alphatune
Rookie

shaodome, I will get around to replying to your e-mail. Just have been very busy as of late with other things. I've ran as much as 31lbs on 93 pump gas but with EVO's that I spent A LOT of time tuning, had worked over heads, etc. It isn't just about the setup and car. It's also about the owner/driver. I will NOT tune a car where I tuned Ed's and others with an owner that knows nothing about their car/setup, air:fuel, maintenance, etc. Ed is able to run that amount of boost due to his efficient setup, good tuning, his maintenance and his eye. The stock ecu does run a good bit of timing. I will try to dig that information up for you. If Ed were running a 61mm turbo with a T350 turbine wheel on his setup I most likely wouldn't have tuned him for that amount of boost. And I use the Knock Control religiously. It becomes a pain for me but has saved a few motors
Old 09-16-09, 04:23 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alphatune
shaodome, I will get around to replying to your e-mail. Just have been very busy as of late with other things. I've ran as much as 31lbs on 93 pump gas but with EVO's that I spent A LOT of time tuning, had worked over heads, etc. It isn't just about the setup and car. It's also about the owner/driver. I will NOT tune a car where I tuned Ed's and others with an owner that knows nothing about their car/setup, air:fuel, maintenance, etc. Ed is able to run that amount of boost due to his efficient setup, good tuning, his maintenance and his eye. The stock ecu does run a good bit of timing. I will try to dig that information up for you. If Ed were running a 61mm turbo with a T350 turbine wheel on his setup I most likely wouldn't have tuned him for that amount of boost. And I use the Knock Control religiously. It becomes a pain for me but has saved a few motors
Thanks man! I didn't bug you about the e-mail because I understand how busy one can get and I know that some of the info I was asking you might like to keep to yourself, that's totally understandable In addition, I completely agree about customers who don't know what to keep tabs on as I am sure we have booth seen what happens to those motors...If you ever get any Megasquirt questions, feel free to hit me up as I've been part of that world for nearly 7 years now and have built hundreds of units.
Old 09-16-09, 04:29 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

looks like my stock back housing will be more than enough as the .68

on a E85/mustang dyno no less!
Old 09-16-09, 06:45 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If it smells like a fish it's a fish

No disrespect here guys but in a honesty how is this helping the community .These are just some of the examples of what is being said .I could be wrong here but I believe that this would be scaring and not helping the new members who are looking to us for easy to understand info.There has been one or two who have been scare by info like this..keep it simple ..

Like budget build 1jz w/a safc good for 400 and having fun under 4000.00 dollars.Or if your looking for more power in the long run invest a little more and go 2jz gte w/a safc or e-manage for under 6000.00 I think everyone gets the idea etc etc etc..

.I mean we all know this fact the sky is the limited. Lets not set the bar so high so that we ultimately scare any new comers. It's got nothing to do with being cheep to whom ever said that .

We should come together and help one other and learn.Not brain wash but instead figured out how to get whom ever to reach what ever goal they're trying to achieve .What ever their budget !!!.Some on this forum do help.. Just because they go on here typing a bunch of techno blah blah.Doesn't mean they don't help the community..

here are some of the quotes

1. being able to control inj pulse , phase angles and duty cycles again critical

2. vpc SAFC, MAPEcu type setups...not going to bore with specifics there....knock can be monitored in the EMU, but I don't think it will act on it because the stock ECU acts on it. That is a +1 for the EMS, but it is not a core function required for operation.

3.speed/density based system, as am I...so o course you utilize IAT, Clt, map (you forgot TPS), etc. It's all required to make the math equation for the amount of fuel to inject work

So with all this fancy techno talk it really smells like a pissing contest..
Old 09-16-09, 07:35 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

johm with all due respect

i was going to leave this thread alone but i must reply to YOU

this thread can and will help those up and coming into the boost world have a very basic understanding of potential do's and dont's when deciding on total build package

i dont think i or jordan were trying to confuse or scare anyone away with tech talk for they will never be tuning their own cars but having a clean grasp on concept is all it takes to make a educated decision on what routes to go

i spend countless hours online ( amex affords me all day surfing the net as i work) from years back researching and asking questions from those in the know and i can safely safe jordan does the same ( i can tell by his responses)

that being said it was a healthy debate over basic piggys , semi standalone and full standalone

money and the questions of money are not injected into the equation here for if you are entering this game " you gotta pay to play"

my good ole friend randy "screename freelance " had a true quote in his signature that i live by

" to boost or not to boost is not the question , question is do you have enough funds to fund your decision" and the total meaning of that quote is

and another quote from the movie wall st ( michael doughlas as gordan geico) " you either do it right or you get eliminated"

dont do a half A$$ build and expect long term miracles ', whichever route one goes will always come with pros and cons , i for one like to try and stack the deck towards more pro's then cons when doing my build

bottomline

vps/safc + workable but with limits realistic limits
map ecu throw in the garbage
greddy emanage = still a piggyback that wants tobe a standalone but stock ecu kinda gets in the way but definitely on top of its game

aem ems
ems stinger
haltech all realistic appproaches to set it and forget it , safe and 100% scalable to whatever application or combination of things you wanna throw at it ( but only with qualified tuner)

its your hard earned money so dont decide lightly ... i will also add this , no matter what i do in this boost world , standalones will be the only option for me period , i have seen the light and am willing to sell a nut to make sure i always have one

Last edited by lexforlife; 09-16-09 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 07:46 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default not done

Originally Posted by lexforlife
here we go again , mr e.go himself is here to set the record straight , lets all listen to mr ego who knows all speak and degrade and provide little actual info to the community
Two things Roger wasn't trying to set the record straight.He was setting you straight.I don't agree with everything he said nor am I taken his side .Roger does a lot for this community he's the first to show up when someone needs a hand .With no mention of compensation..A helping hand will always out weigh any typed out info.. It's just an observation from what I read

i knew it was a matter of time before the likes of your type to come in here and create stupid remarks like that .. what info have you provided
A stupid remark was made I will agree

But what does this mean The likes of your type What type is that ??? Maybe the type who attends almost ever meet rain or shine ,someone who offers to lend a helping hand when the community needs it.This comment I didn't understand.

But as such this is an open forum and we all are in tittle to our opinions ..So at the end of the day it's dirty laundry for everyone to read..so

i provided very real and factual info gained from my own firsthand exp and knowledge obtained from some of the best tuners in the country ( alpha,john reed , justin nenni , darin crispeed andre)to help out esp the na-t people and to provide some insight based on common sense approach and not the wallet approach if you cant handle the truth get out
Ed there's no arguing this fact .You know your stuff .But there's no arguing this fact I run an E-MANAGE.And have been for 2.5 years .And every year I have gone up in power..The AEM is perfect for your app. on question.But that doesn't mean I have to go out an buy it.. I am seriously happy for you. And another thing I never make mention of you or anyone motor going Kaboom .So I've asked this of everyone before .Please stop trying to blow up my engine for me ..It's working fine with my stock fuel rail with the 850's on a single pump .Just pat me the back and say you are one crazy mother.. And lets go boosting together...

Safc ,aem.eman.etc etc can't we all boost along

Edit: I hope you make the power your seeking ..I'll be on the highways waiting for that call or look as you would put it..

Last edited by //LRD; 09-16-09 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 08:05 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Default Showing up to meets and getting greasy has no bearing in this debate

john

lets call a spade a spade ... i have been helping dozens of members on clublexus here in south florida even before you even though of entering the sc world ,, since 2003

i was always the first one to say bring it by my house and lets do this or that so i dont know where you get those statements from and i never was paid a dime for services rendered in fact would goto work late or even call out to help a friend so lets not go there for you dont know me that well

who do you think swapped out corys stuff for him in ONE day sir , me steve and wayne 123 done and not a cent but a good lunch i could go on and on but not necessary

it seems you have your panties in a wad at the moment for it appears you think i was attacking your setup and wishing your setup goes kaboom... thats the last thing i wanna see

the likes of that kind , well we will leave it as is for he knows what i mean
now roger knows i have nothin but luv for him and his antics but thats just roger luv him or hate him

my posts were in no way intended to be directed at you and if you took it that way my apologies but i cant and wont sit by and read info that can be misinterpeted and lead newbys astray

your thing about having enough fuel is exactly why i have to comment because to newbys they need to know when going up there in boost , fuel is only part of the equation abeit most critical but not the only ingedient to a healthy and safe running engine

i would luv for you to hook up a egt guage to car and or a scan tool while boosting and see exactly where your timing goes to under 24psi of boost , i bet your eyes would go

so pleae lets keep this healthy topic going for others to learn for i for one are always open to learning

and yes the car will make the power ( i hope LOL for motor is getting tired)i am seeking and if you happen to be next to me and im in the mood then GAME ON AND THIS TIME YOU ARE GETTING 24 PSI OF CAMMED SWEETNESS

Last edited by lexforlife; 09-16-09 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 08:20 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

back to topic....wait...what was that again?

Technical debate is always good for the community...this love to hate and then love again relationship the 3 of you have is hilarious though In the end we are all friends and have different points of view due to different experiences...

ANYWAYS.....

Just installed the HKS DLI and I really had no idea how bad of shape the stock ignition must have been in.....throttle response is significantly better! Hell it even sounds different and I have yet to put in the new plugs with a higher gap. The stupid miss at idle is gone too!

Robert...are you reading this! Remember....most of are engines are DAMN OLD at this point as are the electronics running them. In my case, I would be surprised if this engine had anything under 100,000 miles based on how the inside of the valve covers look....can't wait to put the cams in and hit the dyno!
Old 09-16-09, 08:22 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Default I could'nt stay out

its still a crappy wanna be standalone piggyback
provide little actual info to the community

the likes of your type to come in here and create stupid remarks like that ..

if you cant handle the truth get out

Mr, ED

You certainly talk alot of chit for somebody who has taken a na-t to a remarkable 500 hp on a $2500+ standalone you should become the spokes model for AEM!
Your car is not the norm in our community, as most are gte' whether 1 or 2,, they start out boosted and for you to deter others who might read the thread, by driving home the fact that standalone is the only way is ludicrous.

There are many 500 hp gte's running around on just fuel computers that will continue to be the norm as its good cheap fun which apparently you have forgotten is why we do this, and not all are up to your grand of a scale with your 3 yr boost sprint you've been in, as several of us on here have been in the boost game for much longer with several motors under our belts, hence we live and learn from our mistakes and move on to boost again!! so in regards to your (Still a wanna be standalone crap ) Go do it your way!!!!! I'm not laughing!!!!

As to the 2nd remark what type is that you pompus egotistical maniac!!!

And as to your third comment why don't you follow yourself out the door and make sure you can fit through the door with that na-t on your shoulder!!!
Old 09-16-09, 08:23 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Almost time for Ed new sig, play nice gentlemen we are all boost friends.
Old 09-16-09, 08:29 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

back to topic....wait...what was that again?

Technical debate is always good for the community...this love to hate and then love again relationship the 3 of you have is hilarious though In the end we are all friends and have different points of view due to different experiences...

ANYWAYS.....

Just installed the HKS DLI and I really had no idea how bad of shape the stock ignition must have been in.....throttle response is significantly better! Hell it even sounds different and I have yet to put in the new plugs with a higher gap. The stupid miss at idle is gone too!

Robert...are you reading this! Remember....most of are engines are DAMN OLD at this point as are the electronics running them. In my case, I would be surprised if this engine had anything under 100,000 miles based on how the inside of the valve covers look....can't wait to put the cams in and hit the dyno!
yes back on topic fa sure

congrats on the dli , you will like how the car will repsond to building boost as timing gets pulled then advanced .. the dli seems to quicken the transition well it did for my setup off boost got alittle crisper as well what r u going to gap them at i tried once 24 and in no time plugs got burned spark was to hot

went back to about 28 and car goes all the way to 7200rpm with no break up but i still have the occaisonal idle fart but i think thats mainly becuase my idle is like 15.1-15.3 , when i ilde closer to or just under stoich i get no idle farts , when alpha retunes i am going to ask him to richen the misture a tad and add alittle more fuel in the iat comp mapas intake temps get hot sitting and idling

Quick Reply: Singlesville