Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Omg!!! I almost got got!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 07:15 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Omg!!! I almost got got!!!!!

Alright guy's i almost got got, as u all kno i have been trying to sell my old exhaust setup, and i wasnt gettin any love on the forums so i posted the exhaust on ebay thinking that somebody out there would be in need for a decent exhaust, id rather not throw it away because i wanna help someone out...anyway it seemed to catch a few peoples eyes and a guy emailed me for the exhaust, several emails after we mayed a deal for him to send me $200 and i will ship the exhaust to his location...

For some strange reason he sends me two money orders of $745.01, i was so confused because all i asked from him was $200, the Money Orders were from Money Gram, after i received the money orders i email the guy asap, and asked him y he sent so much money, he replied that he wanted me to deduct the amount for the exhaust and then Western Union the rest of the money back to his shipping company so that they can come pick the item up...so i take the money order to my bank and deposit it and i have them put a hold on it to see if everything is legit...after 7 business days later the money cleared...the guy has been calling me nonstop telling me to send the money asap and if i dont he will come to my location..

Finally, i got up this morning and something just didnt feel right so i asked my father about it and we both got online and typed in "Money Gram" on google, next thing you kno a bunch of websites and forums come up with people who got caught up in the same mess..i started reading the storys of these fellow victims to compare it to mine..

Basically its a international money order and these people from the UK or Nigeria or any foreigner will try to SCAM YOU they send more money then what u need and tell u to take what is yours and western union the money back to them....I took it even further and called Money Gram, gave them the receipt #'s and Both money orders were Fraudulant!!!!

Im just happy i looked into it more because i would of been of $1500, my credit would of got f*&k**, my account would of been closed, and last but not least i would have put me and my family's life in danger because this guy has my number and address.
*MIGHT I ADD TODAY IS MY BDAY....SO I THANK GOD AND MY PARENTS FOR HELPING ME OUT OF THIS ONE

Last edited by 94_soarer; 11-11-09 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-11-09, 07:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Big red flag sending more money than the sale price. It's a classic scam. You got lucky.
Old 11-11-09, 07:44 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Yes, this scam has been going on for years! Especially when you place something up for sale on Craigslist. I once placed some rims on Craigslist and received over 10 money orders ranging from Credit Unions, Banks, Company checks, etc. All for on average about $2000 more than I was asking for the rims and just like your story they wanted me to wire them back the difference. Yeah right!!!

No one pays more for anything than the seller is asking so when all the scammer buyers started to email and call I told them to F@ck off and that I had already given all their information to the authorities and I never heard from them again....

Edit: Happy Birthday Sir....
Old 11-11-09, 07:50 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow thats crazy....people are gettin crazier by the day....
Old 11-11-09, 08:21 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
Yes, this scam has been going on for years! Especially when you place something up for sale on Craigslist. I once placed some rims on Craigslist and received over 10 money orders ranging from Credit Unions, Banks, Company checks, etc. All for on average about $2000 more than I was asking for the rims and just like your story they wanted me to wire them back the difference. Yeah right!!!

No one pays more for anything than the seller is asking so when all the scammer buyers started to email and call I told them to F@ck off and that I had already given all their information to the authorities and I never heard from them again....

Edit: Happy Birthday Sir....
Wow, its crazy how people try to get over on others like that...
Thanks i appreciate the love!
Old 11-11-09, 01:48 PM
Yaad_style
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAPPY B/D NATE DOGG.. I bet you though it was money to go buy your 1JZ. glad you caught on really quick.
Old 11-11-09, 02:03 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yaad_style
HAPPY B/D NATE DOGG.. I bet you though it was money to go buy your 1JZ. glad you caught on really quick.
Thanks steven, i was excited to see all that money in my account but then i was like HALT!!!! this isnt right...
Old 11-11-09, 04:05 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Mega lucky bro. Go with paypal next time or local buyer with cash. That stuff is taking mad risks and you hit one of those risks. Good thing you got out of it!
Old 11-11-09, 05:45 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

good catch man. happy bday too
Old 11-14-09, 12:14 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Thats why I only use Paypal or cash, good that u caught it at the last second..By the way HAPPY B- DAY!!!
Old 11-14-09, 01:22 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by One_jZ_SC3
Thats why I only use Paypal or cash, good that u caught it at the last second..By the way HAPPY B- DAY!!!
Even paypal can be scammed.
I tried to sell a diamond ring on craigslist. I accepted an offer that was 1K more than I asked but well within the value of the ring. The guy said he wanted to outbid everyone else. Since he was out of the country, I asked for a money order and I would send the item once it cleared. He gave in too easily and that made me suspicious.
Then I asked him to paypal the money. He agreed but I didn't see anything on paypal when I checked.
The guy then sends me a link to paypal showing his deposit. I kept asking why I didn't see it when I signed on myself. He said because I have to verify a tracking number before paypal would release the money. I read paypal rules and that was true. I almost mailed the ring when it hit me that even if the money wasn't released, I should still be able to see the deposit. I got back home, emailed the guy that I no longer wished to sell.
He replies and is pissed and threatens to sue me. Then I call paypal. They agreed with me that although the money can't be released until a tracking number is submitted, I should be able to see the deposit. They checked my account and verified nothing had been deposite. They asked me to forward the email from the buyer with the paypal link. It was identical to the real paypal. The paypal guy said it was the best he had seen.

The moral of the story, trust your gut.
Scammers and thieves are out there and they have no mercy.

BTW, when I told the buyer I had forwarded all his emails and fake paypal screens to the real Paypal, he left me alone.