Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

So I think I'm finally starting to enjoy this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 11:14 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I think I'm finally starting to enjoy this car

I've always been a fan of the 2J....foremost for just the sound alone, it wasn't until about two years or so ago where I discovered the SC300 and I found myself in a position to move on to a better platform. After some short searching I ended up with this 1992 SC300 with an Aristo swap already done for a good price. The body was straight but the interior was totally shot, no carpet, gauge cluster was just about completely dead as was the suspension....oh and no a/c.

Now I should have done more research instead of taking the seller's word for it. The car was claimed to have 550s, an R154 and a relfashed ecu (along the lines of a mines ECU) in addition to the other stuff I could see bolted to the car already. In the coming weeks I quickly found out all of that to be 100% bull**** as the car was equipped with stock 440s, stock aristo ecu and the fragile W58.

In hindsight, I'm glad that it happened this way as it forced a lot of learning and DIY type stuff...in the end, I enjoy building the car more than I do racing them, until recently...

The car has been pretty unreliable since day one, trans breaking, fuel pump wiring was wrong (fixed thanks to jimmy), bad harness connections, the lot....I replaced the interior from a wrecked 95 and converted from grey to tan, but that interior was OLD, stained and smelled a little off....

Last weekend I had the seats recovered along with the arm rest and installed a sub. The a/c is fixed, the suspension dialed in, tunes working and the Megasquirt EMS is running the car great. For the first time since buying this car last January I'm really starting to enjoy it. I find myself NOT wanting to take the reliable (of sorts) daily driver to work (30 miles away) anymore. The car is just so comfortable, smooth and fast....18psi is perfect for the street with its current setup.

I just wanted to say thanks to many new friends here in the CL Crew. Many of you guys are always willing to help and have a wealth of info to share.
Old 12-01-09, 12:50 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! This story makes me almost want to cry!

That's such a touching story Mr. Jordantune!!!
Old 12-01-09, 12:57 PM
Darkness01
Lead Lap

glad to hear jordan.....i know the headaches ones goes thru when building cars lol, which will soon enough begin for my is lol well best of wishes and enjoy the ride.
Old 12-01-09, 12:58 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

after writing this my door handle broke.....I cannot get in from my driver's side door now. It isn't the little door handle either. Gotta pull the hole damn window out now to get to the lock assembly!GASDFG@#TAWETGASDGFASDGASG....

stupid car.
Old 12-01-09, 01:07 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaodome
after writing this my door handle broke.....I cannot get in from my driver's side door now. It isn't the little door handle either. Gotta pull the hole damn window out now to get to the lock assembly!GASDFG@#TAWETGASDGFASDGASG....

stupid car.
How do you go from Loving/Enjoying the car to it being stupid??
Old 12-01-09, 01:10 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

its complicated....it must have heard me outside.
Old 12-01-09, 01:40 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Dukes of Hazards style...!

It's a love hate relationship. Trust me, I go through it. There is reason why I have not fixed the oil leak or water leak.
But either way, I am glad you chosen to have a Lexus.
It's good to have you and trust me I have learn alot from you as many others that will read this have too!
Old 12-01-09, 02:06 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Dre....I commend you for daily driving your car. True testament to Toyota's engineering!
Old 12-01-09, 04:52 PM
Anthony85
Lead Lap

Same thing happened to me when I got my Sc in March. I had to open my car door from the passenger for almost two weeks straight till i went and got a door lock actuator. Which happens to get caught under the window and break the lever if the door handle is not installed properly....