Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

st augustine, fl. LIGHTHOUSE TOYOTA

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 06:39 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My point is, this thread is based on conjecture. The dealership didn't actually try to sell anything that wasn't needed. It was assumed based on an overheard conversation that they were planning to do so.
Old 12-14-09, 11:34 AM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
My point is, this thread is based on conjecture. The dealership didn't actually try to sell anything that wasn't needed. It was assumed based on an overheard conversation that they were planning to do so.
Did the dealer have to try and sell him something? Bro, the intent alone will make anyone go postal.
Imagine taking your kid in for a check up and you hear an overhead conversation saying that your kid will need all kinds of transplants and treatment. Grab your kid and run. While you are at it, let your friends know not to take their kid to that doctor.

So all in all if ever I am in the area, that will be one less place I will be taking my car!
Old 12-14-09, 11:51 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drewgo
Did the dealer have to try and sell him something? Bro, the intent alone will make anyone go postal.
Imagine taking your kid in for a check up and you hear an overhead conversation saying that your kid will need all kinds of transplants and treatment. Grab your kid and run. While you are at it, let your friends know not to take their kid to that doctor.

So all in all if ever I am in the area, that will be one less place I will be taking my car!
We're not talking about a kid. If I brought my 105 year old great grandfather in for a checkup, I'd expect the doctors to EXPECT he would need some "service". Do you expect that if the OP brought his 2 year old Lexus into that same dealership, he would have heard the same conversation?

I used to be a service advisor at 3 different dealerships. Yeah, I had to police the technicians to keep them from recommending stuff customers didn't need, but of course when I saw an 18 year old 150k car come in, I'd ASSUME it would need more than an oil change - that's just common sense.
Old 12-14-09, 12:59 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
We're not talking about a kid. If I brought my 105 year old great grandfather in for a checkup, I'd expect the doctors to EXPECT he would need some "service". Do you expect that if the OP brought his 2 year old Lexus into that same dealership, he would have heard the same conversation?

I used to be a service advisor at 3 different dealerships. Yeah, I had to police the technicians to keep them from recommending stuff customers didn't need, but of course when I saw an 18 year old 150k car come in, I'd ASSUME it would need more than an oil change - that's just common sense.
You and I both know that a 150k mile sc400 that is taken care of is just starting it's life, so your point to use common sense is exactly that, "common sense". If you bring the car for an oil change that is exactly what you expect. Not a shopping list of things the are Quote-on-Qoute urgent in matter.
I know this is a touchy subject to you being that you were a service advisor, but that facts are the facts. The majority of dealers do screw people over and give unnecessary repairs. Times are tough so it does not excape me to know that this dealer in particular falls under that catergory.
Old 12-14-09, 01:17 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drewgo
You and I both know that a 150k mile sc400 that is taken care of is just starting it's life, so your point to use common sense is exactly that, "common sense". If you bring the car for an oil change that is exactly what you expect. Not a shopping list of things the are Quote-on-Qoute urgent in matter.
I know this is a touchy subject to you being that you were a service advisor, but that facts are the facts. The majority of dealers do screw people over and give unnecessary repairs. Times are tough so it does not excape me to know that this dealer in particular falls under that catergory.
Mechanics as a group generally suck, true. (sorry to any professional mechanics out there - just my experience) I'm not saying this dealer didn't plan to rip this guy off, I'm saying they DIDN'T - so OP has no right to spread all this bad press based on assumptions.

Same type of thing has happened to me. I had an oil change done at a local independent shop - because I had a coupon for a free oil change they gave me when I bought tires.

They told me that I needed an air filter, timing belt, and serpentine belt. I said, OK and asked if the transmission fluid level was OK and they told me it was.

I then told them I had a K&N air filter, the timing belt and serpentine belt were done 2 weeks ago, and the transmission fill plug was completely stripped out (I had to fill it through the shifter). Obviously, they were liars.