Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Recently Unemployeed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 04:13 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Recently Unemployeed

Well this sucks. I was recently fired from my job of 2 and a half years working as a manager for Outback Steakhouse. I was let go for no other reason than "I wasn't showing enough drive." The real reason is that I know OSI is making cut backs and I was the lowest portion of the totem poll. 75 hour weeks, personal money invested into my restaurant, and a metric ton of crap I've dealt with in the last few months. Guess it wasn't enough. I don't really know what I'm going to do about this situation.

It's definitely not a good thing that it happened. I know that Aug/Sept. are the hardest months to deal with in Florida. Tourism's down, unemployment is up, the housing market is still down 25%, and the economy is not getting any better despite what CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews, are saying. I'm really trying to remain positive but the outlook is bleak. I guess the week that I've been out of work is just making me think to much. I wasn't really happy working their anyways due to a bunch of issues and I was going to start looking for a new job once "season" finally started. I've been meaning to get back into the automotive field, but being an uneducated African American/Latino male doesn't help at all. Not to mention all of the troops that will be coming home will get job placement over me any day.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on how this could play out. I'm just at a lose at the moment and I guess depression is finally starting to kick in. Anyone have any words of wisdom, 'cause I'm all out of positive things to say to myself. Any of you guys really dealt with this at all?
Old 09-03-10, 04:26 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeSC3
Well this sucks. I was recently fired from my job of 2 and a half years working as a manager for Outback Steakhouse. I was let go for no other reason than "I wasn't showing enough drive." The real reason is that I know OSI is making cut backs and I was the lowest portion of the totem poll. 75 hour weeks, personal money invested into my restaurant, and a metric ton of crap I've dealt with in the last few months. Guess it wasn't enough. I don't really know what I'm going to do about this situation.

It's definitely not a good thing that it happened. I know that Aug/Sept. are the hardest months to deal with in Florida. Tourism's down, unemployment is up, the housing market is still down 25%, and the economy is not getting any better despite what CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews, are saying. I'm really trying to remain positive but the outlook is bleak. I guess the week that I've been out of work is just making me think to much. I wasn't really happy working their anyways due to a bunch of issues and I was going to start looking for a new job once "season" finally started. I've been meaning to get back into the automotive field, but being an uneducated African American/Latino male doesn't help at all. Not to mention all of the troops that will be coming home will get job placement over me any day.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on how this could play out. I'm just at a lose at the moment and I guess depression is finally starting to kick in. Anyone have any words of wisdom, 'cause I'm all out of positive things to say to myself. Any of you guys really dealt with this at all?
1. Never doubt yourself and never say your uneducated, you were smart enough to manage a restaurant for 2yrs.
2. Sometimes just knowing the right person can get you paid, its not what you know its who you know.
3. Automotive industry is a headache at least in florida to many indians and no cheifs, stay away from that drama.
4. Things will get better your not gonna get much help on here trust me, but check out amtrak they were hiring but you have to travel starting at 16.75 training and it goes up from there.
Old 09-03-10, 04:46 PM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

With manager experience im sure you will find something soon. Goodluck man!
Old 09-03-10, 04:53 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Getting a good job is about who you know....even in better economic times. You already have experience which to me (I'm sales director for a large private company) is worth a lot more than any formal education when it comes to employability....unless of course its skill specific like engineering, medical, etc.

Season is coming for the rest. industry so I'm sure there will be available positions...hell...my little sister was able to get hired by Cheesecake Factory in FtL in the dead of summer.....
Old 09-03-10, 05:33 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

I say live up the unemployment for as long as you can, do something under the table to make up the difference. make getting fired work for you.
Old 09-03-10, 06:26 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I knew what it was to work under the table I would, but I don't even know where to start. I'm an honest person though and want to work for honest money.
Old 09-03-10, 08:23 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been laid off 3 times in my life. It seems like a bad thing at first, but when it was all said and done, I actually made out better once I found a new job. Just hang in there, something will come up. Don't be doubting yourself. If you do, your confidence will drop, which will be apparent when you interview (which is never a good thing). Good luck man!!
Old 09-03-10, 09:20 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm an honest person though and want to work for honest money.
This mindset will come across I'm sure of it, when your interviewing for a restaurant position. You know better then anyone what your capable of . So bottom line is, let it shine. I wish you the best of luck.

And I'll leave you with this

(“Success is there for those who want it, plan for it and take action to achieve it.” - Jim Brown )

Last edited by //LRD; 09-04-10 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-04-10, 03:57 PM
F4A22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a bad market and i was able to leave a decent paying job for the same position with the correct amount of pay(old job tried giving me a paycut) and closer to home.You will find work certain positions take special skills and with a good resume your a cut above the rest.
Old 09-04-10, 05:48 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to mention all of the troops that will be coming home will get job placement over me any day
Joining the military might be an option.
Old 09-06-10, 10:04 AM
97SCBOY
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear... Think positive & im pretty sure with 2 yrs of managing a restaurant u will get something real soon... Good luck!
Old 09-30-10, 08:11 AM
RONSKI23
Driver

www.installsuccess.com - we're always hiring for something. Good luck and stay up.