94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sick car Mario!! i have faith in my 83-75 aka S360 on my 1J
Old 09-21-11, 08:44 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess my math is off, but that doesn't make sense. Correct me if im wrong, but the engine will be at 131% of efficiency in a 1.31:1 gear, rotating 1.31 times for every rotation of the wheel.
Originally Posted by drewgo
Wow... NICE!

Just so you guys know, those number are not actual,well not actual for the overall power but only actual for that particular gear (4th) which is 1.31 to 1.
Jordan, only did a 4th gear pull.
You needed to do a 5th since that is the 1 to 1 gear. With that said, that would of ended up
being an 8xx number or close to...
Old 09-21-11, 08:59 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey everybody, it's me Snoopin Steve (LOL). I think this is why I'm always in the Florida section, you guys are entertaining...all of you have so much knowledge and skill, it amazes me! Pretty impressive numbers across the board. No I don't want to race, and yes my car is a SLED...LMAO! Nice Dyno run too Mario! Be safe over there, safe return and GODSPEED!
Old 09-21-11, 10:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

That Supra is just pure insane... Just goes to show that a 2jz stock block seems pretty much bullet proof..

Nice numbers.. be safe...
Old 09-22-11, 03:27 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Guess my math is off, but that doesn't make sense. Correct me if im wrong, but the engine will be at 131% of efficiency in a 1.31:1 gear, rotating 1.31 times for every rotation of the wheel.

CJ, don't worry yourself trying to figure it out. Dre and I had this argument several times before and he's correct with his statement. I think he's even posted it on the forum, I think the informatin is posted on a Toyota site regarding the ratios and in a six speed it does state that
5th gear is 1:1.

However, as I've told Dre that every tuner that I know whether it be Darin, Alpha, Chris, Justin, etc have all dyno six speeds in 4th gear. Just google any Supra dyno video and they're all in 4th gear.
Old 09-22-11, 04:11 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

The only reason you see a higher number in 5th gear is because the engine is under more load and most likely making more boost than it did in the previous gear. When I did a pull through all 4 gears, when you look at the plot 2,3,4 all read 700whp.
Old 09-22-11, 04:52 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
CJ, don't worry yourself trying to figure it out. Dre and I had this argument several times before and he's correct with his statement. I think he's even posted it on the forum, I think the informatin is posted on a Toyota site regarding the ratios and in a six speed it does state that
5th gear is 1:1.

However, as I've told Dre that every tuner that I know whether it be Darin, Alpha, Chris, Justin, etc have all dyno six speeds in 4th gear. Just google any Supra dyno video and they're all in 4th gear.
No worries, Shadome makes sense with the "more boost" comment

Originally Posted by shaodome
The only reason you see a higher number in 5th gear is because the engine is under more load and most likely making more boost than it did in the previous gear. When I did a pull through all 4 gears, when you look at the plot 2,3,4 all read 700whp.
More boost would definitely make sense. I was just confused because my knowledge of gearing and torque manipulation did not take boost into consideration.

Nice Job with the supra BTW. Now take it to the track and run 9s
Old 09-22-11, 06:04 AM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

No comprende...
More boost? If his boost contorller is holding 30psi then is not more boost. It's more load.
More load is the equivalent of throwing a tennis ball and a baseball. Same arm, same strength however being the baseball has more weight(load) it will go farther cuz it uses the existing power more efficiently. In 5th gear the dyno will calculate this as higher HP.

So if he would of done a 5th gear pull then numbers would be much higher..no?
Old 09-22-11, 07:41 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

No comprende...
More boost? If his boost contorller is holding 30psi then is not more boost. It's more load.
More load is the equivalent of throwing a tennis ball and a baseball. Same arm, same strength however being the baseball has more weight(load) it will go farther cuz it uses the existing power more efficiently. In 5th gear the dyno will calculate this as higher HP.

Makes perfect sense to me...
Old 09-22-11, 08:29 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

CONGRATS!!
on the big 700 Mario.... good luck in iraq i know your going to do damage when you come back

and just out of curiosity with the 6 speed transmission if the real pull gears is 5th gear and not 4th
then what exactly is the pull gear for the r154? becasue my car is violent in 2nd compared to the other gears
Old 09-22-11, 09:52 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
CONGRATS!!
on the big 700 Mario.... good luck in iraq i know your going to do damage when you come back

and just out of curiosity with the 6 speed transmission if the real pull gears is 5th gear and not 4th
then what exactly is the pull gear for the r154? becasue my car is violent in 2nd compared to the other gears

4th gear is 1 to 1 on w58 and r154

Btw congrats on those numbers and good luck in Iraq.
Old 09-22-11, 11:25 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

No comprende...

Ugh....I don't know why this keeps coming up around the internet time and time again....

It is more boost because of the increased load usually as most electronic controllers lack any sort of algorithm to regulate boost...which is one of the reasons I like the AVCr. The profecB for example just runs on a dutycycle, it doesn't care what the boost pressure is except for its gain value where it actually opens the wastegate and activates the solenoid. For example if you set it to open the gate at 20psi, then that is where it opens and starts pulsing the solenoid (PWM Frequency) at whatever value you set it at. It doesn't deviate from that gain value regardless of what pressure it's at.

So more load = more boost on large turbo setups unless you turn down the boost controller in the next gear. If the engine has enough time/pressure to really get the turbo lit, then it becomes less of an issue. The dynojet software outright says it doesn't matter what gear ratio your car has.

In addition Dynojets are interia dynos. They read power as a function of the roller mass being moved. So if the roller weighs X amount (this is hard coded into the software based on the drum itself) and it accelorates at this amount, it required this much power to do so. Higher gear just means that it acelerated slower, but at a higher overall speed.

Also, engine RPM is derived from an electronic pickup method, not a "roll on" like dynocoms, superflo, dynodynamics or mustang dynos. Those require more precise configuration when not using a pickup to determine RPM....but that is a tangent.

So back to the dynojet.... torque = horsepower X 5252 / engine RPM (from pickup).....it won't even show torque if you don't have the engine rpm signal, just HP. Why? Because the dyno needs it to determine the gear reduction found between the engine itself and the roller.

Last edited by shaodome; 09-22-11 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-22-11, 12:00 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Ugh....I don't know why this keeps coming up around the internet time and time again....

It is more boost because of the increased load usually as most electronic controllers lack any sort of algorithm to regulate boost...which is one of the reasons I like the AVCr. The profecB for example just runs on a dutycycle, it doesn't care what the boost pressure is except for its gain value where it actually opens the wastegate and activates the solenoid. For example if you set it to open the gate at 20psi, then that is where it opens and starts pulsing the solenoid (PWM Frequency) at whatever value you set it at. It doesn't deviate from that gain value regardless of what pressure it's at.

So more load = more boost on large turbo setups unless you turn down the boost controller in the next gear. If the engine has enough time/pressure to really get the turbo lit, then it becomes less of an issue. The dynojet software outright says it doesn't matter what gear ratio your car has.

In addition Dynojets are interia dynos. They read power as a function of the roller mass being moved. So if the roller weighs X amount (this is hard coded into the software based on the drum itself) and it accelorates at this amount, it required this much power to do so. Higher gear just means that it acelerated slower, but at a higher overall speed.

Also, engine RPM is derived from an electronic pickup method, not a "roll on" like dynocoms, superflo, dynodynamics or mustang dynos. Those require more precise configuration when not using a pickup to determine RPM....but that is a tangent.

So back to the dynojet.... torque = horsepower X 5252 / engine RPM (from pickup).....it won't even show torque if you don't have the engine rpm signal, just HP. Why? Because the dyno needs it to determine the gear reduction found between the engine itself and the roller.

Man Jordan, you're so intelligent! Your scientific formulas are giving me a headache!

Last edited by Wicked SC; 09-22-11 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 12:06 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
Man Jordan, you're so intelligent! Your scientific formulas are giving me a headache!
What the hell am I doing wrong then.....how do I get that $ to just send my sled over to Titan to build it instead.....It's way to hot outside to turn wrenches still
Old 09-22-11, 01:14 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

What the hell am I doing wrong then.....how do I get that $ to just send my sled over to Titan to build it instead.....It's way to hot outside to turn wrenches still

You're the man, you don't need anyone to build your car for you. You turn your own wrenches!

Quick Reply: Mario's Dyno vid from yesterday at STP