Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Mario's Dyno vid from yesterday at STP

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 01:43 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaodome

Ugh....I don't know why this keeps coming up around the internet time and time again....

It is more boost because of the increased load usually as most electronic controllers lack any sort of algorithm to regulate boost...which is one of the reasons I like the AVCr. The profecB for example just runs on a dutycycle, it doesn't care what the boost pressure is except for its gain value where it actually opens the wastegate and activates the solenoid. For example if you set it to open the gate at 20psi, then that is where it opens and starts pulsing the solenoid (PWM Frequency) at whatever value you set it at. It doesn't deviate from that gain value regardless of what pressure it's at.

So more load = more boost on large turbo setups unless you turn down the boost controller in the next gear. If the engine has enough time/pressure to really get the turbo lit, then it becomes less of an issue. The dynojet software outright says it doesn't matter what gear ratio your car has.

In addition Dynojets are interia dynos. They read power as a function of the roller mass being moved. So if the roller weighs X amount (this is hard coded into the software based on the drum itself) and it accelorates at this amount, it required this much power to do so. Higher gear just means that it acelerated slower, but at a higher overall speed.

Also, engine RPM is derived from an electronic pickup method, not a "roll on" like dynocoms, superflo, dynodynamics or mustang dynos. Those require more precise configuration when not using a pickup to determine RPM....but that is a tangent.

So back to the dynojet.... torque = horsepower X 5252 / engine RPM (from pickup).....it won't even show torque if you don't have the engine rpm signal, just HP. Why? Because the dyno needs it to determine the gear reduction found between the engine itself and the roller.
Whow whow whow..... U lost me at "Hello"....LOL
On an R tranny I tune it in 3rd then once it's set I'll move up to 4th and get alot more power at the same boost pressure. Perhaps cuz I am not running a donkey turbo.
I'll test this theory in a few weeks when I get on the rollers.....
Old 09-22-11, 03:19 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing wrong with starting in a lower gear....longer pulls just mean more time for heat to build and pressures to rise and if everything isn't right, you will have failures.
Old 09-22-11, 04:22 PM
97SCBOY
Lexus Test Driver

Congrat's on those numbers Mario!!!
Old 09-22-11, 06:53 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pulls are done in 4th gear and why does it matter if he has a bottle or not ... run what you brung !!!
Old 09-24-11, 05:15 PM
crispeed
Driver School Candidate

You can't just compare the transmission gear ratio without considering the final drive ratio. Both together equals the majority of the load the motor sees on the dyno.
Old 09-24-11, 05:23 PM
rdt
Driver

This thread has come to the END! Cant argue with him^^^^^^
Old 09-25-11, 04:11 PM
BAD954BOI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol.. He has a really good point