Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-12, 08:39 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

I'm start this thread cuz i'm sure every once in a while.we wanna get advice or opinions from other modders.that build their own cars or have shops bulid them.

i'm start off.......

if your in my boat with a vvti 98 sc.with the weak everything!!just vvti.lol
i picked up a GTE block(stock)no oil pan.
then i heard that if i use it my comp will be too low.
now i picked up a GE block -97(stock) already taped for oil return.
this should keep my comp good with a TT headgasket .

on the GTE block i don't have the motor mounts or brackets.
the GE block i could just throw in.
or i could use the GTE rods with the GE pistons in the GE block or in my GE block(and i don't have to pull my motor out just drop the head and drop the oil pan.put in beefer internals).and call it a day.but i lose the oil squirts.
i will be using TT headgasket & ARP studs with any route i go.

so CL what would you do??

Last edited by 98$c300; 01-30-12 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-12, 04:43 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

rich , dont complicate things my brotha ..

do not use gte block with ge head , wrong approach .. to low of compression but moreover destroys the quench of the combustion chamber making it more prone to detonation..

just remove your engine , drop pan remove head , change vvti rods and pistons and use GE non vvti toyota rods and piston and while your there change to some acl race bearings , install arp rod and main bolts and use acl thrust washer as well.. reassemble using tt headgast and arp studs and now you have a bottom end good for a solid 700 if you want .. at least the assembly will hold together np.. while head is off , get head disassembled , lap the valves , re cut seats to ensure 100% sealing install brian crower tit springs and retainers , get head milled and now you can rev safely to almost 8k..

done .. oil squirters are a waste of time imo ..i say do your own motor for you know the worth of it ..also get the honda modified aem box for ecu and if you want to avoid constant tranny failures as we all know you have a lead foot , swap out for a r154 and be done with it
Old 01-31-12, 06:08 AM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexforlife

do not use gte block with ge head , wrong approach .. to low of compression but moreover destroys the quench of the combustion chamber making it more prone to detonation..

just remove your engine , drop pan remove head , change vvti rods and pistons and use GE non vvti toyota rods and piston and while your there change to some acl race bearings , install arp rod and main bolts and use acl thrust washer as well.. reassemble using tt headgast and arp studs and now you have a bottom end good for a solid 700 if you want .. at least the assembly will hold together np.. while head is off , get head disassembled , lap the valves , re cut seats to ensure 100% sealing install brian crower tit springs and retainers , get head milled and now you can rev safely to almost 8k..

done .. oil squirters are a waste of time imo ..i say do your own motor for you know the worth of it ..also get the honda modified aem box for ecu and if you want to avoid constant tranny failures as we all know you have a lead foot , swap out for a r154 and be done with it
Thanks for your advice sir.I have a GE non-vvti block also.that I can freshen up and have less down time.let me crunch the numbers and see how much everything you listed will cost.about the AEM which one is that one?
Old 01-31-12, 08:37 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed, I had to jump in here when I read this statement. Do you have any documentation or event where someone running a GE head and GTE head had the detonation failure that you referred to? As I have had this identical set up for five years now with no issues??

Please post up these occurences so that I may see exactly what you're referring to? Thanks!
Old 01-31-12, 08:53 AM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Let's say I got my heart set on using the GTE block.I could always use the GTE block,GTE rods and use the GE non vvti pistons that I also have.I got three blocks.
Old 01-31-12, 10:21 AM
sc2.5
Lead Lap

Or you can buy my engine :-)......…
Just playing Richard just figure out ur power goals first and go from there

Since you got an engine out freahin it up and go from there
Old 01-31-12, 11:18 AM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc2.5

Power really I just want to build it once 700hp+ for the future.not that I wanna make that tomorrow.
Which one to use is the question?
Old 01-31-12, 12:16 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LMAO GTE Richard
Old 01-31-12, 03:37 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc2.5

Really power 700hp in the future.but to run less daily.
Old 01-31-12, 05:39 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

jerome , read .. and understand what quench and squish is all about .. moreover who the hell wants 8;4;1 compression

is300 guys who have doing this approach for years and keep blowing motors .. try reading over on is300.net

na-t is much better or straight gte swap .. no hybrids..
Old 01-31-12, 06:04 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jerome , read .. and understand what quench and squish is all about .. moreover who the hell wants 8;4;1 compression

is300 guys who have doing this approach for years and keep blowing motors .. try reading over on is300.net

na-t is much better or straight gte swap .. no hybrids..
Ed, why don't you post exactly what quench and squish is all about for me so I can educate myself on the subject. Sometimes too much internet reading isn't good and it's best to go by real life experiences versus what you read on the internet.

As I've stated, I haven't had any issues with my set up in the last five years(Knock on wood) and to my knowledge Lance(Toyomoto)has been doing the NA head/GTE Shortblock even before you and I got into this boost game and was very successful as well..

Again, you can't state who the hell wants stock GTE compression as a lot of us have it. As a matter of fact, you're the only person in South Florida that has your "High Compression" stock GE motor.

What I'm trying to get across here is that everyone needs to or will build their car the way they want it and that's why we have options in life. I just have a problem when you state what's better or what someone needs to do regarding their build, that's all..

When all is said and done, we all want our cars to run efficiently with no hiccups and to make good power. To me, it doesn't matter if your "High compression" set up makes XXX rwhp at a lower PSI versus a "Lower compression" might make it at a tad higher PSI of boost. They still will make the same power at the end.. I'm done...
Old 01-31-12, 06:26 PM
JAman
Rookie

I never had any issues with my toyomoto NA/GTE setup. Made 450whp back in 2003 and still going today with the present owner!
Old 01-31-12, 06:31 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

elvis has left the building with zero knowledge

just because its been done for years in the past doesnt mean its right and or safe ...

i was going to expand but since changed my mind .. rich , do what you feel is right brotha .. ill stick to what i KNOW IS FACT NOT FICTION

Last edited by lexforlife; 01-31-12 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-31-12, 06:55 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

this wasn't meant to start anything between anybody.i come to you guys,cuz ya been in the game way long then i have.and you all have good builds.ad cars that are still running.i'm new to the 2j world.so i want what is best for me now and in the long run.really i don't want what anybody likes the most.i want what will in real life last.everybody can blow a motor if the tuning sucks.i'm not a baller!my sc is my daily!so blowing up in not an option!
Old 01-31-12, 10:14 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GTE is the way to go. Richard you stated it yourself you want a safe and daily driving car. Lower compression and boost are really good friends as a matter of fact I know the both of them personally. And I have to say, I think their lovers keep that on the low, K ? .

Richard you ask a great question , which will spark a debate which in turn can become heated. Give this tread time and you will see. Majority will be the right way to go.

So far I have it 3-1 .. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: What would you do?