Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Toyoda thinks their cars are boring.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 06:36 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyoda thinks their cars are boring.

Toyota admits cars are boring, must change to compete with other cars

This is a good thing. Glad they finally woke up, before its too late like GM did in the 90's.

Toyota, Eschewing Sedate Design, Is Ready for Pizazz
By HIROKO TABUCHI
TOYOTA CITY, Japan — After decades of emphasizing staid reliability, Toyota wants to start running with the cool kids.

In a new approach announced Monday, the company, Japan’s biggest automaker, said it was overhauling its development system to give engineers more freedom to experiment with bolder, more daring designs.

“We want to take more risks,” Akio Toyoda, the automaker’s chief executive and grandson of the company’s founder, told reporters Monday at the main design lab at headquarters here in Toyota City, 200 miles southwest of Tokyo.

The company will give more power to its engineers, Mr. Toyoda said, and streamline design decisions, partly by reducing the number of executives involved in reviewing new designs. Previously, design changes could be reviewed by up to 100 executives.

But the engineers will be under pressure to cut costs by using standard parts across different models, Mr. Toyoda said at a briefing at the tightly guarded lab, where reporters’ cellphones and cameras were confiscated.

Toyota will also cede more research and development for emerging-economy nations to locally based teams, allowing designers to shape models specifically to local tastes, he said.

In many ways, Toyota is eager to reinvent itself after three disastrous years marred by problems of its own making as well as those beyond its control. A collapse in trade during the global economic crisis contributed to Toyota’s biggest loss ever, while widespread product recalls in 2009 tarnished its once-stellar safety record.

More recently, last year’s tsunami in Japan and flooding in Thailand crimped production for months. And a strong yen continues to weigh on the company’s competitiveness and bottom line.

But the 75-year-old company is also trying to refresh a design philosophy that has focused more on function, cost and efficiency than form.

Take the Camry, the sensible grocery-getter. Despite its status as the best-selling car in North America, its design has long been the butt of jokes.

“Common descriptors thrown around include ‘appliance,’ ‘beige’ and ‘boring,’ ” a 2011 review by Motor Trend magazine said.

Tokuo Fukuichi, who was named Toyota’s chief designer last year, said that the lackluster design was the product of a consensus-driven process that tried to please everybody and therefore excited no one.

“For someone to passionately like a design, we have to be prepared for some people to hate it,” Mr. Fukuichi said.

The restyled Avalon could be one example. Designers based in the United States had free rein to revamp the sedan, which Toyota introduced at the New York Auto Show last week. Revisions like a trapezoidal grille and wraparound taillights have greatly changed the feel of the vehicle, reviewers said.

At the auto show, Toyota’s group vice president for the United States, Bob Carter, described Mr. Toyoda’s elation on seeing the remodeled Avalon: “Cool! Don’t change a thing.”

Another change Toyota designers talk about is the increasingly central role the Prius gas-electric hybrid is playing in propelling vehicle development at the automaker. Once developed almost completely separately from Toyota’s other cars, many designs original to the Prius, like its low-rolling-resistance tires that help improve fuel efficiency, are now shared with other models.

And in an approach uncharacteristic of Toyota — where executives talk obsessively of listening to customer feedback — Mr. Toyoda said that designers at the company would be encouraged to push ahead without much user input.

“Design should not be a problem of simply making what customers tell you to make,” Mr. Toyoda said.

Asked whether the Toyota design process might soon resemble that of Apple — a company famous for shunning market research in favor of its own designers’ tastes and preferences — Mr. Toyoda was thoughtful.

“Yes, I do think we are headed more in that direction,” he said. “We need to be more visionary.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/bu...zazz.html?_r=1

I think a new Supra might be possible.
Old 04-10-12, 07:03 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

This is probably because cars like the new Hyundai's are crushing Toyota in design/features/ for the price.
Old 04-10-12, 06:13 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shaodome
This is probably because cars like the new Hyundai's are crushing Toyota in design/features/ for the price.
jordan , your sig has me rolling out of my chair bro
Old 04-11-12, 01:09 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

I hope the new lexus models are not indication of how toyota plans to spice things up. The new GS is disappointing at best (features, lack of power, cost). The new ES which will barely be distinguishable from the GS is even more disappointing (from press photos at least). They seem to be following the BMW theme by not only reusing parts, but not even bothering to change the body style. Only the dimensions. Blah.
Old 04-11-12, 07:11 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
jordan , your sig has me rolling out of my chair bro
I love how everybody is slowly discovering that one CL member at a time over the last two months.
Old 04-11-12, 08:18 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

The last time Toyota had some fun was in 1998. Last year of the supra at least here in the US. Other then that Ricers considered the Celica as fun...smh!
Boring boring boring...... I hope they smoke something and lock the door and make something worthwhile.
Could be wishful thinking if they just grab the 2jz and inject it with modernday technology and rollout some insane monster pushing all kinds of HP through all fours and a paddle shift tranny. Something to compete with the GTR and the like. They started heading in the right direction with the Celica alltrac but they got scared of something and squashed it. Not a good move. ...... (sigh) one can only dream
Old 04-12-12, 05:34 AM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good read. If Toyota does re release a Supra can they keep it under 100 grand ?? I guess we'll see . Good for them, better a little late then never
Old 04-12-12, 06:27 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by //LRD
Good read. If Toyota does re release a Supra can they keep it under 100 grand ?? I guess we'll see . Good for them, better a little late then never
I'd suspect it'd be in the same price range as the R35 GTR.

Instead of doing something like the above, they blew their load on the LFA. While a cool looking car and lots of whiz bang techno features its stupid expensive and there are other cars in the same price bracket that run circles around it.
Old 04-12-12, 09:35 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My IS-F isn't boring ....
Old 04-29-12, 10:25 AM
JZSARISTO
Pole Position

Sweet about time and if toyoda do not want the supra in their line up pass it to scion it is still a toyota cheaper line of cars that the people could afford
i am considering the fr-s, but maybe they have something else coming.