OEM IS300 HID sets

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 05:35 PM
BobaDrift
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is saying the IS300 HIDs are brighter than the GS HIDs. I have heard this as well and I'm not quite sure if it is true since I haven't seen the IS HIDs next to the GS HIDs.
As for what I was talking about earlier, I was stating that the GS HID headlights have an area below them to mount the ballasts. If that is where you want to mount them then the IS ballast won't work and you will need the GS ballast.
Ummagawd is correct about the HID in a non HID housing. Your HID will bleed everywhere and you'll blind not only people in front of you, but also pedestrians on the side of the road. If you decide to put the HID bulbs in a non HID housing I recommend you do the research and make the shielding for the bulb. Either that or purchase the HID housing.
I have a set of 03' GS HID headlights, but they need the bulbs and ballast. I will set up an ad in the GS classified section once I take pictures of them.
Old 03-31-05, 06:58 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BobaDrift
He is saying the IS300 HIDs are brighter than the GS HIDs. I have heard this as well and I'm not quite sure if it is true since I haven't seen the IS HIDs next to the GS HIDs.
As for what I was talking about earlier, I was stating that the GS HID headlights have an area below them to mount the ballasts. If that is where you want to mount them then the IS ballast won't work and you will need the GS ballast.
Ummagawd is correct about the HID in a non HID housing. Your HID will bleed everywhere and you'll blind not only people in front of you, but also pedestrians on the side of the road. If you decide to put the HID bulbs in a non HID housing I recommend you do the research and make the shielding for the bulb. Either that or purchase the HID housing.
I have a set of 03' GS HID headlights, but they need the bulbs and ballast. I will set up an ad in the GS classified section once I take pictures of them.
hey boba pm me a price i might just save you the time also how much for both sets of bulbs and ballasts and are they 4300k ???
Old 03-31-05, 07:29 PM
BobaDrift
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are OEM HID so they should either be 4200k or 4300k. Can't remember the exact Kelvins of the factory units.
Check your PM for the other part.
Old 04-01-05, 12:26 AM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ummagawd
techSC400... after you tighten it up... it's in there pretty damn tight... the base of the D2R bulb is actually big enough to seal the hole.... so there should no problems with leaks.

now... based off of your name... i'm assuming you have an SC... SC's use projector type housings... and i would have to advise against using these with your stock projectors. I've done it and its horrible. You'd have to sit there and play with the placement to get something decent. I just opted to get e55 xenon projectors in mine because i didn't want to take the time to design a new way to hold the bulb in a correct position for the stock SC projector.

GS housings, on the other hand, are reflective type... and they are bright as hell and light up everything. Just remember that there isn't much of a cutoff line... so it'll seem as if you have your high beams slightly on. This can be alleviated by making a simply cover (something that will cover the shielded portion of the bulb... which you will see once you see the bulb.... its not hard at all). But most people don't care for it anyways.

As for the OEM brighter than GS OEM... i'm not sure what you're asking.... both are OEM?
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Were you trying to put D2R bulb to SC project headlight? or did you try with D2S on SC?
D2R is for the reflector style (GS) and D2S for the projector style.
That is why I am hestating to jump on this deal.
Attached Thumbnails OEM IS300 HID sets-img_xenon_range_d2r.jpg  

Last edited by techsc400; 04-01-05 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-01-05, 12:32 AM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Default D2s

Since D2S is designed for projector style head light, I think that it will work with SC stock projector head lights.
Yes, it will not have very clear cut off line such as E55 Xenon projectors, but isn't it acceptable at all?
Attached Thumbnails OEM IS300 HID sets-img_xenon_range_d2s.jpg  
Old 04-01-05, 08:35 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

tech.... unfortunately it still won't work (the D2S in the SC's projector style housing)

The reason is because it's all about geometry. The placement is just way too off for the HID bulb in the SC's housing. Despite whether or not its a D2R and D2S. I took some fine sandpaper and sanded off the painted shielding on my d2r bulb.... and the results where horrible. I then got a hold of d2s bulbs.... and same results. That's when i decided to go for projectors off a mercedes.

You can try and play with how far in or out the bulb sits in the projector, but i don't think its worth the time. Because even if you do find that sweet spot... you'd have to fab something up to hold it in that sweet spot.

Reflective type housing is a different story.... it will work, it will be extremely bright, and the only downside is you won't have that cutoff line unless you make something to shield the upper portion of the bulb.

And yes... stock lexus is 4100/4300k which is the brightest HID bulb you can get (extremely close to the light output of our sun). Different sources list them as 4100 and others as 4300. Still haven't figured out what the deal with that is. And just FYI... the higher the temperature the bluer/purple the color gets, BUT the LOWER the intensity level of light output. OEM is the BEST way to go.

lex on 20's As of right now, i only have one set available. I have one guy that asked me to hold it for him until mid-day tomorrow... in which case it'll be back on sale again. If he doesn't pay for it by tomorrow day, i'll give you both sets for 540 shipped. (that works out to free shipping on both and about 8 bucks off the total price).
Old 04-26-05, 05:59 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you sell both sets ???
Old 04-27-05, 10:46 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

yep... sorry man..

i'll post here again if i get any more
Old 04-27-05, 11:00 PM