Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 11:16 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OEM IS300 HID sets

Hello all...

I've got 2 sets which include:

2 - OEM lexus ballasts (thin version...compact and slim)
2 - OEM D2R bulbs

nothing beats the quality of OEM HID kits!

275 shipped for a set
Old 03-29-05, 05:48 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ummagawd
Hello all...

I've got 2 sets which include:

2 - OEM lexus ballasts (thin version...compact and slim)
2 - OEM D2R bulbs

nothing beats the quality of OEM HID kits!

275 shipped for a set
Will these fit to SC400 model? 9006 bulb pattern? Do I have to get the adaper for it?
How old is the unit? Any pics?
Old 03-29-05, 06:52 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

will these work for a 99 gs3 ??
Old 03-29-05, 08:56 PM
BobaDrift
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately they won't work on the GS300 and you will need ballasts from the GS300. I know it was posted before and the pattern for the ballast on a GS300 is different from that of the IS300.
Do a search and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 03-29-05, 10:28 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BobaDrift
Unfortunately they won't work on the GS300 and you will need ballasts from the GS300. I know it was posted before and the pattern for the ballast on a GS300 is different from that of the IS300.
Do a search and you'll see what I'm talking about.
why not? i thought these ballasts are compatible with any OEM kit? am i wrong? unless you want to mount it in the OEM location on the headlight... but other than that, i dont' see a problem...
Old 03-29-05, 11:15 PM
BobaDrift
Pole Position

Yes you are correct. The only reason they wouldn't work is if you wanted to mount them in the OEM position. If you fashion your own brackets you can fit any ballast in your vehicle so long as you get the right bulb.
I guess I should have clarified that from the start.
Old 03-29-05, 11:23 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

well, seeing that he's buying hid's for his GS300, he probably doesn't have the HID headlamps.

so he probably is gonna have to mount them on the sides or something, but you are correct though. the Lexus ballasts got thinner as the years progress.
Old 03-30-05, 11:57 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

a ballast is simply the control unit for the HID bulbs. These "computers" control and regulate the power going to the HID bulbs. THESE CAN BE USED FOR ANY OEM HID bulb.

Now.... what boba is talking about is the actual HID bulb (D2R/D2S). These won't directly "bolt-in" to your headlight housings. You can however retro fit them... retrofitting D2R bulbs into a 9006 housing is fairly easy. Real easy in fact. The problem with this, as boba was pointing out, is that because the housing is not designed for HID bulbs... the beam pattern is completely different. The mounting brackets for ballasts will have to be customed (not hard at all... in fact mine are just tucked in somewhere).

Will it be bright as hell? Yes

Will there be a distinct beam pattern? No

Will you **** off other drivers? Haha... probably

Will you be able to see the owls' eyes in the trees? Yes.

The fix to this is to simply get HID housings. But if you just want bright HID quality lighting (with no care for beam pattern)... then this is all you need.
Old 03-30-05, 01:16 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
well, seeing that he's buying hid's for his GS300, he probably doesn't have the HID headlamps.

so he probably is gonna have to mount them on the sides or something, but you are correct though. the Lexus ballasts got thinner as the years progress.
wow your good !! yes i know i just wanted to know if the bulbs your supplying with the ballasts will fit in my oem non hid housings or do i need different bulbs and or any other hardware in order to use the IS hid's in my GS
Old 03-30-05, 01:18 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

if so are they 4300k i might just get both sets !! for my head light and fog lights
Old 03-30-05, 01:20 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

a ballast is simply the control unit for the HID bulbs. These "computers" control and regulate the power going to the HID bulbs. THESE CAN BE USED FOR ANY OEM HID bulb.

retrofitting D2R bulbs into a 9006 housing is fairly easy. Real easy in fact. .
How easy is it? That is the part that I do not understand. How can we convert D2 base bulb to a 9006?
Old 03-30-05, 01:29 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

well... most 9006 bulb holders use a simple ring to keep the 9006 in place. You can take this ring off (i was able to do this without having to remove the headlight in a 99 gs) its held on by 3 screws. The D2R bulb actually fits perfect in here... so you take the ring off... insert the HID bulb, and put the ring back on. Thats it.

granted you can't simply twist the bulb off or on now... its held nicely in place.
Old 03-31-05, 12:35 AM
techsc400
Lead Lap

well... most 9006 bulb holders use a simple ring to keep the 9006 in place. You can take this ring off (i was able to do this without having to remove the headlight in a 99 gs) its held on by 3 screws. The D2R bulb actually fits perfect in here... so you take the ring off... insert the HID bulb, and put the ring back on. Thats it.

granted you can't simply twist the bulb off or on now... its held nicely in place.
I just checked on GS and SC. Both are 9006 bulb pattern for low beam and YES both had the ring with three small screws like you said above.
This is good news if it works. It means that I can buy any HID bulb with D2 base (D2R or D2S) and plug it in.
Who cares that you can't twist the bulb off or on by doing this way. It is HID with over 2000 hours of life time. I don't think that I will twist the bulb off for couple of years after installed.
and YES, I can buy regular D2 based bulbs (cheaper than rebased 9006 HID bulbs) when replacing the bulbs.

Is it held nicely? no opening spaces at all or possible water leak? Isn't bulb rotating at all after you tighten that ring with screws? no gaps?

Last edited by techsc400; 03-31-05 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-31-05, 12:56 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

is it me or do the oem is hid seem brighter than the gs oem hid?? aren't they both 4300k???
Old 03-31-05, 09:59 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

techSC400... after you tighten it up... it's in there pretty damn tight... the base of the D2R bulb is actually big enough to seal the hole.... so there should no problems with leaks.

now... based off of your name... i'm assuming you have an SC... SC's use projector type housings... and i would have to advise against using these with your stock projectors. I've done it and its horrible. You'd have to sit there and play with the placement to get something decent. I just opted to get e55 xenon projectors in mine because i didn't want to take the time to design a new way to hold the bulb in a correct position for the stock SC projector.

GS housings, on the other hand, are reflective type... and they are bright as hell and light up everything. Just remember that there isn't much of a cutoff line... so it'll seem as if you have your high beams slightly on. This can be alleviated by making a simply cover (something that will cover the shielded portion of the bulb... which you will see once you see the bulb.... its not hard at all). But most people don't care for it anyways.

As for the OEM brighter than GS OEM... i'm not sure what you're asking.... both are OEM?

Quick Reply: OEM IS300 HID sets