Great Deals Share "great deals" that you have found online or in local stores.

Sony RZ46G on TigerDirect for $1599

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-04, 06:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts
Default Sony RZ46G on TigerDirect for $1599

This is a KILLER PC at a killer deal - better than any deal on eBay.

3.2gig P4 w/ hyperthreading
1gig DDR 2700 RAM
200 gig drive
analog and digital video IN and OUT
dvd burner
windows media edition
remote control
PVR capability (tivo-like)

I ordered one to transfer my old camcorder tapes to DVD and just to get a faster newer PC.

I'm stoked.
Old 02-17-04, 07:35 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard a lot of bad things from Tiger Direct, their stuff is cheap, but service is horrible...

Here's the BBB report on them:
BBB report
Old 02-18-04, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
I've heard a lot of bad things from Tiger Direct, their stuff is cheap, but service is horrible...

Here's the BBB report on them:
BBB report
Interesting read, and I know they HAVE had complaints about them in the past. I think the part about rebate problems is that their web site would occasionally show rebates which had already expired. Ya just have to READ the pages. I've mailed in a few TigerDirect rebates and received every one in the mail a few weeks later. I've bought numerous things from them in the past couple of years - and never had ANY problems. One time something was missing from a box (not their fault) and they answered the phone quick and got it solved quick. Beats the hell out of many large corporations.

This Sony I just got is unbelievable... it has TiVo like capabilities (with no fees), it's lightning fast, has almost every conceivable i/o port on it (front and back which is great), has a remote control which works REALLY well (even my wife was impressed, hehe), and I'm looking forward to burning DVDs of my old camcorder tapes.

TigerDirect's shipping was very fast even at their lowest priced shipping option.

I highly recommend TigerDirect.
Old 03-12-04, 08:51 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting for the Athlon64-based media-centers.

The 46G is a nice model, but the problem is, its a Sony... and Sony has THE WORST tech support and service of any major computer manufacturer brand period
I work a tech-bench at a large large Computer Retail store; and I get more problems with Sonys and Gateways than any other computer... and the Gateways use generic parts so they can be fixed... Sony computers dont... and they do lots of really dumb things business-wise that other manufacturers like Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq do not do...

The 46g is still a great computer nonetheless bit, nice pick. $1599 is expensive tho
Old 03-22-04, 07:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Bean
I'm waiting for the Athlon64-based media-centers.

The 46G is a nice model, but the problem is, its a Sony... and Sony has THE WORST tech support and service of any major computer manufacturer brand period
I work a tech-bench at a large large Computer Retail store; and I get more problems with Sonys and Gateways than any other computer... and the Gateways use generic parts so they can be fixed... Sony computers dont... and they do lots of really dumb things business-wise that other manufacturers like Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq do not do...

The 46g is still a great computer nonetheless bit, nice pick. $1599 is expensive tho
I know Sony has lousy support, but I could find no other computer with similar specs available. You say $1599 is expensive, so I'd be interested in where you think you can find a better deal. Of course my post was a month ago so prices are always decreasing.

Even building a PC wouldn't be cheaper because of all this software my Sony came with, and you can't even buy Windows Media Center Edition 2004 (it's only bundled with PCs).

I needed analog video input to capture video from my old camcorder tapes, I needed a DVD burner, and it's nice having 1GB RAM, 800FSB, 200GB drive, and 3.2G P4.