Great Deals Share "great deals" that you have found online or in local stores.

5% Rebate Discover Card

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-05, 11:30 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 5% Rebate Discover Card

Not sure if this is a great deal or not. But with the skyrocket prices on gas, some of you might appreciate it. I just got this one, i fill up with Credit card anyway, at least now I will get some $$$ back. Worth it, in the long run I think. I was surprised that a lot of my friends don't know about this.

http://www.credit-land.com/applications/discover_d2.php
Old 04-29-05, 02:39 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Citibank Dividend card is better. 5% cash back for purchases made at gas stations, grocery stores, and drug stores. 1% back for everything else. You can request a check when you reach $50.
Old 04-29-05, 02:54 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by indelible
The Citibank Dividend card is better. 5% cash back for purchases made at gas stations, grocery stores, and drug stores. 1% back for everything else. You can request a check when you reach $50.
Yes, not to mention that Discover is accepted at less locations than MasterCard.
Old 04-29-05, 03:15 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Yea i think that site has other cards too. I like the discover, because that is the only one I don't have, and keep it only for gas. It seems like all gas stations except it here.
Old 04-29-05, 03:22 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Discover rebate is not that great. It's gated, meaning as you spend more your rebates get better up to 5%. And I think the 5% is only if you hold a balance. Last I checked you start at 0.25%. The one I use is a flat 1% paid out at the end of every month. I take the rebate and run. It's nice to accumulate a few hundred, but if you miss a payment/overcharge (give them an excuse) and it's ALL GONE.
Old 05-02-05, 06:41 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

You might be right. But I am getting the 5 from a mastercard on that site. That is the cool thing is that it actually works. But I do spend nearly $200 a month on gass alone. Now I had a AAA gas card. That was a scheme and a half. They offered 5%, but in 2 months changed it to 2%. I didn't even realize that was happining until my friend told me to check, and showed me the site above.
Old 05-06-05, 09:08 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I have that same card, I believe they also limit the rebate to $300 a year.
Old 05-06-05, 09:36 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
Damn, you gotta fill up a lot of gas to get up to $300 rebate. I drive a lot, company cars, bike, my cars. And I didn't reach $300.
Old 05-06-05, 09:39 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
$300 per quarter
Old 05-06-05, 09:51 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I use the Chase Perfect Card (Mastercard). It gives 3% for gas & 1% for everything else. You apply your rebates against future purchases.

I'm trying to look for something better and indelible seems to have the card that I want! 5% for gas, groceries & drug stores & 1% for all other purchases sounds great! And I'm assuming no annual fee right?

Indelible, how does it work. Just say you spent $100 for gas, at 5%, you'll get a credit of $5.00 back right? And they will apply this credit to your next bill? I rather get a credit than to have to cash small rebate checks each month.

Any more info on the Citibank card would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-05, 10:20 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

yup, they apply it to your next statement. It's like you spend $100, pay the bill. Next statement you will have $5 credited to the bill. So you spend $100 again, but will only need to pay $95.
Old 05-07-05, 07:55 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone have the Citi Dividend card?

How does that reward work?
Old 05-07-05, 08:20 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cadd
I use the Chase Perfect Card (Mastercard). It gives 3% for gas & 1% for everything else. You apply your rebates against future purchases.

I'm trying to look for something better and indelible seems to have the card that I want! 5% for gas, groceries & drug stores & 1% for all other purchases sounds great! And I'm assuming no annual fee right?

Indelible, how does it work. Just say you spent $100 for gas, at 5%, you'll get a credit of $5.00 back right? And they will apply this credit to your next bill? I rather get a credit than to have to cash small rebate checks each month.

Any more info on the Citibank card would be greatly appreciated.
They don't apply it to your bill, it accumulates under "rewards activity" and when you reach that $50 minimum you can cash out and they mail you a check within 2 weeks.
Old 05-07-05, 08:25 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

They don't apply it to your bill, it accumulates under "rewards activity" and when you reach that $50 minimum you can cash out and they mail you a check within 2 weeks.
indelible is correct. I just got my $66 reward check 5 days after I made the request.
Old 05-08-05, 07:52 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

When I spoke with customer service at Citibank regarding their Dividend card, they told me something that turned me off a bit. Let me know if you have this issue.

They require that you accumulate AT LEAST $50 in rewards (or "dividends" as they call it) before you're allowed to cash out.

That's fine. But they also told me that the "dividends" (reward) expires AT THE END of the calendar year (at Dec. 31st).

What if you have $48 dollars in "dividends" at Dec 31st? Obviously you can't cash out since it's under their $50 threshold. When Jan 1st rolls along, you'll LOSE that $48 you've earned!!!!

That's messed up! How do you go around that? I guess you make damn sure that you have over $50 in "dividends" when December rolls along right?

Additionally, the rewards that you cash out may also be considered TAXABLE INCOME. IMO, that's just not right!

Another example: Just say you have $100 in "dividends" by Dec. 31st. How much time do you have in the following year before it's too late to "claim" your cash reward? It would suck if you only had 2 weeks to do it.

I think the catch is that they are hoping that you'll forget about the cash reward you've earned and not file a claim....this way they don't have to pay out.

I would rather them CREDIT your reward amount in your next billing statement. It would be much better. This way, the reward isn't considered TAXABLE income AND you don't have to worry about forgetting about it.

For those who've had the card for over a year, I would appreciate it if you can shed some light in the subject.

Quick Reply: 5% Rebate Discover Card