GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

I got my Timing done by Toyota Dealer Yesterday, And now my car cant start again..??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-03, 06:29 PM
DroppedGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got my Timing done by Toyota Dealer Yesterday, And now my car cant start again..??

I got my Timing done by Toyota Dealer Yesterday, And now my car cant start again.. I previously got my car towed to the Toyota Dealer because my car had cut of and would'nt start up.. So I got Toyota to Diagnose the problem for $85, they found out I needed a Timing Change thats why my car wouldn't car up..So I told them to fix the problem it all came up to $900 Parts + Labor. It took them over a week and a half to fix my car without giving me a loaner. And they told me it would be fix within 2 days.

I went to pick the car up last night and the car was running fine. I only drove home (about 5-6 miles from the dealer). This morning when I was going to work the car all of a sudden started making a funny sound, and all my lights on the dash came on. I then applyed pressure to the accelerater because I was on a bridge and I didnt want to get stuck because it had no side lane to pull over. When my foot was on the accelerater the car wasn't going any faster it was just puddering, and then it just stalled out when I got over the bridge..

When I go to start the car up it doesn't crank at all... I thought it was the battery but it isn't I put a new one in there...I checked the fuses under the dash and none blown...What could be the problem? Before when my car shut off and didn't want to start, it would crank but not turn over...But now it doesn't crank... I spent all of that money for the diagnose for them to find what was wrong with my car and now it something again??$900 is to much money to put out and not be satisfied with the work.

What could be wrong? Could the dealer have messed something up? What should I do? I thought if I were to bringing my car to the dealer I would get the best service..

Ps...I also got my Serpintine Belt changed if that belt loosen could that cause the car to not start up?

Last edited by DroppedGS; 11-14-03 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-13-03, 07:00 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: I got my Timing done by Toyota Dealer Yesterday, And now my car cant start again..??

Originally posted by DroppedGS
What could be wrong? Could the dealer have messed something up? What should I do? I thought if I were to bringing my car to the dealer I would get the best service..
It's either the dealer messed up or they did not find the problem with your car. Bring it back to the dealer, at least you still have a warranty on the workmanship and parts they installed. If they didn't diagnose the correct problem, they shouldn't charge you for another diagnoses because they should have found all the problems when they checked it the first tiime. Even if your timing belt was not bad, it is still recommened that you change it every 90k miles just to make sure your engine won't suffer castestrophic (sp) damage when the belt fails.
Old 11-13-03, 11:49 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I got my Timing done by Toyota Dealer Yesterday, And now my car cant start again..??

Originally posted by DroppedGS
out I needed a Timing Change
I sure hope you got a timing BELT change, and not just a change in timing, cuz otherwise that was the easiest $900 that dealership ever made. First off, even if your timing belt were snapped the car should still crank... it sure as heck won't run, but the starter will still force it to try. Take your car back to the dealership and tell them you don't want a blind and deaf person diagnosing the problem this time. My guess, without actually having your car in front of me, is that your fuel pump is gone. Try getting some starting fluid from your local auto parts store. Spray a little into your throttle body and try to start the car again. If it works you've found the problem.
Old 11-14-03, 05:36 AM
DroppedGS
Driver

Default Re: Re: I got my Timing done by Toyota Dealer Yesterday, And now my car cant start again..??

Originally posted by Leets
I sure hope you got a timing BELT change, and not just a change in timing, cuz otherwise that was the easiest $900 that dealership ever made. First off, even if your timing belt were snapped the car should still crank... it sure as heck won't run, but the starter will still force it to try. Take your car back to the dealership and tell them you don't want a blind and deaf person diagnosing the problem this time. My guess, without actually having your car in front of me, is that your fuel pump is gone. Try getting some starting fluid from your local auto parts store. Spray a little into your throttle body and try to start the car again. If it works you've found the problem.
I got the whole Timing Change (Belt, Water Pump, etc) . So your saying it couldn't be the Timing that has gone bad again? I also got my Serpintine Belt changed if that belt loosen could that cause the car to not start up?

Thanks
Old 11-14-03, 08:23 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

I think what everyone is saying here is that they diagnosed the problem wrong. Great, you got a new timing belt; that can't hurt and it's also good they replaced the water pump, too. $900 probably a good average price for that type of service at a dealer so you didn't get screwed.

BUT THEY DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM, take it back and don't let them charge you any kind of "diagnosis fee."

Check your distributor - it might be cracked or there might be moisture or fluids dripping on it. That would cause the symptoms you described. It sounds like you are losing the spark.
Old 11-15-03, 06:23 PM
Seminole GS300
Pole Position

I am with Pianoman, I have had the problems you are describing with cracked distributers caps and cracked distributers. Worst of all, with a little fiddling around they can make the car run without actually fixing the problem. That may be why it took over a week to do a two day job. I would have it towed back to the same dealer, because at least they know you and they know the car a little. Tell them specifically to check both the distributer and the distributer cap. If it turns out to be one of those, write Toyota of America about your experience and they may compensate you for some of your troubles (eg. towing, car rental, etc.). I've go my fingers crossed for ya.

Regards,
Kareem
Old 11-17-03, 01:40 PM
DroppedGS
Driver

Default There saying my Engine is Blown???

Today the dealer called me and said that my engine is blown....They say its either the crankshaft or the driveline is bad.... I dont know what to do.. I paid them $85 to diagnose my car for any problems and they said I only need to get my Timing done (Belt,Water Pump,etc)... Now there telling me that I need a new engine after I just paid them $900 to do the Timing Job.

What should I do??

Ps....The dealer just called me and they said I have to pay the towing fee of $112... This really sucks.

Please Get Back with me.. asap

Last edited by DroppedGS; 11-17-03 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 02:01 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

That is BS. I am going to reply to your other thread though.
Old 11-17-03, 08:42 PM
Seminole GS300
Pole Position

that is pure bull****. Make them prove that the $900 repair is wrong. You need some legal advice
That sounds very shaddy to me
Also, I would take my car to another dealer,.
Oh yeah, ask it they have the parts they took off your car.

You have my prayers man,
Kareem