Shifing to 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-03, 11:13 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifing to 2

Hey guys,

Tried the search, but it really didn't answer my question. Is it bad to shift to the 2 gear when wanting to slow down the car instead of stepping on the brakes? If that is bad, do you guys just reccomend taking off O/D just to slow the car down and then turning it back on? thanks again..
Old 11-15-03, 11:27 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I don't know if it is good or not, but I turn off the overdrive or I shift into second if I need to slow down...especially around a long curve because I don't want to lose the balance of my car when it shifts gears in the middle of a turn. When I'm balancing my car during a long curve, I try to balance it on the edge and a gear shift will mess up the momentum of the car. I also downshift into 2nd gear in slow traffic if I need immediate acceleration...sometimes letting the car downshift by itself will result in the car jumping into 1st gear around 5,000rpm and then it has to upshift into second gear which takes a second or two...by leaving it in second my engine is around 3,000rpm and I have a bit of engine rpm to work with before I have to upshift.

In sum, I have been doing this for 2-3 years now with no problem *knock-on-wood*.

Last edited by LB Lex; 11-15-03 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-15-03, 11:38 PM
Wald GS

Originally posted by 93LexoGS300
I don't know if it is good or not, but I turn off the overdrive or I shift into second if I need to slow down...especially around a long curve because I don't want to lose the balance of my car when it shifts gears in the middle of a turn. When I'm balancing my car during a long curve, I try to balance it on the edge and a gear shift will mess up the momentum of the car. I also downshift into 2nd gear in slow traffic if I need immediate acceleration...sometimes letting the car downshift by itself will result in the car jumping into 1st gear around 5,000rpm and then it has to upshift into second gear which takes a second or two...by leaving it in second my engine is around 3,000rpm and I have a bit of engine rpm to work with before I have to upshift.

In sum, I have been doing this for 2-3 years now with no problem *knock-on-wood*.
Thanks Eric. I have noticed that braking is much better when I shift to 2nd.

OH yeah, howcome i can't PM or Email you? Are you on AIM?

Last edited by Wald GS; 11-15-03 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-15-03, 11:43 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I don't have PM, but my email should work (I don't have it locked out, so you should be able to email me from my profile).
Old 11-15-03, 11:52 PM
Wald GS

I don't have PM, but my email should work (I don't have it locked out, so you should be able to email me from my profile).
It's locked..

Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails through this board. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.
Old 11-16-03, 12:03 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Try it now, it worked for me.

What PM service do you recommend? I just don't want those annoying pop-ups and viruses that come with some of those services.
Old 11-16-03, 12:36 PM
Wald GS

Try it now, it worked for me.

What PM service do you recommend? I just don't want those annoying pop-ups and viruses that come with some of those services.
I like to use america online instant message. That's how I talk to Jmai22, Indypwr,Gompkaa, cybergs3, and seize. Go to www.aim.com and download the software. It's free and you make a screen name and then when you go online I can message you instantly. We can also have a 1st gen chat as well.

Bryan
Old 11-16-03, 01:15 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

like i told you before bryan. Downshifting is better than using the breaks around a curve because our cars are rear wheel drive. and when you downshift it slows down only the rear wheels and it gives you better traction. but if you were to use your regular breaks around a sharp turn the front wheel may lock up or your rear end might come loose.
Old 11-16-03, 02:14 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexAristo
I like to use america online instant message. That's how I talk to Jmai22, Indypwr,Gompkaa, cybergs3, and seize. Go to www.aim.com and download the software. It's free and you make a screen name and then when you go online I can message you instantly. We can also have a 1st gen chat as well.

Bryan
I'll check it out after I'm done with finals.
Old 11-16-03, 02:18 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Jmai22
like i told you before bryan. Downshifting is better than using the breaks around a curve because our cars are rear wheel drive. and when you downshift it slows down only the rear wheels and it gives you better traction. but if you were to use your regular breaks around a sharp turn the front wheel may lock up or your rear end might come loose.
Another thing is that if you use your brakes around a curve, the car's weight will shift forward and therefore cause the car to become unbalanced.
Old 11-16-03, 05:06 PM
Wald GS

Another thing is that if you use your brakes around a curve, the car's weight will shift forward and therefore cause the car to become unbalanced.
Yeah I experienced that today and it felt like i was going to hit the sign. lol.