GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Is the Toyota Dealer trying to screw me?? HELP PLEASE asap

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 01:52 PM
DroppedGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Toyota Dealer trying to screw me?? HELP PLEASE asap

I just recently got my car Diagnose by the Toyota Dealer because my car had shut off and wouldn't start... They said the reason why my car wouldn't start is because my car needed a Timing Job. So I let them do the job, it cost me $900..The next day after I picked the car up it had shut off on me again, but this time the car won't crank at all. Before it would try to start now it won't...

Today the dealer called me and said that my engine is blown....They say its either the crankshaft or the driveline is bad.... I dont know what to do.. I paid them $85 to diagnose my car for any problems and they said I only need to get my Timing done (Belt,Water Pump,etc)... Now there telling me that I need a new engine after I just paid them $900 to do the Timing Job.

What should I do??

Ps....The dealer just called me and they said I have to pay the towing fee of $112... This really sucks.

Please Get back With Me asap..

Last edited by DroppedGS; 11-17-03 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 02:06 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THAT IS CRAP. WTF. You spent $900 on you engine and now they say you need a new engine? Get your car the hell out of there and don't pay nothing. Say you want a second opinion.

Do us all a favor and take a few pictures of your cap and rotor because that's what we were think your problem is. Maybe spark plugs wires/spark plugs. Why would you swap the engine before you even try other options?
Old 11-17-03, 02:12 PM
DroppedGS
Driver

Originally posted by Pianoman72
THAT IS CRAP. WTF. You spent $900 on you engine and now they say you need a new engine? Get your car the hell out of there and don't pay nothing. Say you want a second opinion.

Do us all a favor and take a few pictures of your cap and rotor because that's what we were think your problem is. Maybe spark plugs wires/spark plugs. Why would you swap the engine before you even try other options?
The thing about it is I brought a Distributor Cap, & Rotor before I brought the car to the dealer. The car was getting spark. But now it doesnt even act like it wants to start.

I also brought a brand new battery on Saturday so it isn't the battery.

Thanks Alot Dude!!

Ps.... I also got them to change my Serpentine Belt when they did the Timing Job..
Old 11-17-03, 02:37 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Well I didn't know all of that. With everything your replaced your car should be tip-top.

Still, take it somewhere else if you can. Maybe the toyota dealer did something wrong, you know? I really hope you don't have a bad engine. And the fact still remains, if there was a chance you had a bad motor why did they do all of that work?
Old 11-17-03, 09:14 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the late response.

According to them, the only problem with your engine was the timing belt, which they changed. They released it to you after all repairs were complete. Just hours after they changed the belt the car "blew up"...there's a good posibility that they messed up your engine. These engines are known for their durability, it's hard to believe that it would just blow-up...I have a strong suspicion they messed up.

Fight it all the way. Good luck.
Old 11-17-03, 10:28 PM
The Ju1ce
Driver

yeah man you got a ****ty deal im sorry!!!! but dont take it sitting down, lexus is supposed to be synonamous with quality. id make them fix it, and if they start to argue, tell them you want to talk to the president or manager of their place or something. they should not treat customers like this and it sounds to me like they are trying to make you foot the bill. dont stand for it, dont give up.
Old 11-18-03, 07:50 AM
DroppedGS
Driver

Default I called and talked to the Toyota Service Manager

He said he believes the bottom end of the engine is bad?? He said seems like the starter probably got stuck in a different position because the motor locked up? Or the Trans is screwed???

He also said that he would pull off the oil pan and look at the bottom end to see if anything looks stuck free of charge..

What do you think about this?

Ps. I also called Toyota of America and filed a complaint.

Last edited by DroppedGS; 11-18-03 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-18-03, 04:15 PM
The Ju1ce
Driver

good job on filing the complaint. the big wigs wont be happy to hear some small time a-holes are trying to shiest their happy customers. i wouldnt settle for anything less than not paying anything. i might even try to get that $900 back. just remember, they are a certified dealership, not some backwoods hillbilly shop, they should NOT treat you like this. just dont settle bro i got my fingers crossed for you.
Old 12-02-03, 08:30 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Default ???????????????

Any news?
Old 12-03-03, 02:25 PM
DroppedGS
Driver

Toyota of America called the Dealership and the guy is still denying that they don't have anything to do with the motor messing up.. So im looking to get a lawyer now.... I also made a post on BBB im waiting on a reply.

Thanks for the concern!
Old 12-04-03, 08:00 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

You might want to start a thread in the "clubhouse" with your story. Maybe someone on here has had a similar experience and has some ideas on what could have caused the engine to fail.

The 1st gen forum is a ghost town.
Old 12-19-03, 02:27 PM
Mhathcock
Driver School Candidate

Go to Autozone and buy a cheap code scanner and get the trouble codes from the computer yourself. This could help you figure out what happened.
Old 12-25-03, 09:41 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take them to court, you got taken for 900.

You could have purchased a used engine and had it installed for that price.

If you need help with an engine, install, etc. PM me.

Good luck!