GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Painted grill all black today.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-04, 10:35 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LexAristo3
hey can u pls tell me what kind of paint and color did u use...coz im planning of paint my grill black too
thanks
I used standard black paint.
Old 02-17-04, 07:56 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts
Talking

Semi-black paint looks good.Thats what i used.hehe
Old 02-17-04, 11:32 PM
LexAristo3
Driver School Candidate

why the *** are u guys talkin **** man...i didnt copy his name...just a coincidence..u guys gotta chill out yo..didnt know tht somone had the name LexAristo...have the name LexAristo3..coz i drive a fuken lexus..its an Aristo and its a 300...
peace faggets
Old 02-17-04, 11:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

read the rules next time you come into a forum.......yo

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-17-04 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 06:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,379 Posts

LexAristo,

You're likely going to have some overspray on your car (voice of experience) from painting it on the car on the areas where you didn't cover with paper - even on top of the car and way back.

After it dries run your hand over the car and see if it feels smooth or rough. Check out the detailing gallery for a few good threads on 'overspray' and how to use clay bar to get 'em off if you aren't already all over that.

DGot - that picture makes me want to paint and put my OEM Grill on. Looks soo mean... I could do it with a black pearl 'L' to make it even meaner and vaderish .
Old 02-18-04, 06:38 PM
Wald GS

Originally posted by DaveGS4
LexAristo,

You're likely going to have some overspray on your car (voice of experience) from painting it on the car on the areas where you didn't cover with paper - even on top of the car and way back.

Hey Dave,

Yeah there was overspray but it came off with the use of a rubbing compound thanks to V8_Aristo.
Old 08-10-04, 10:47 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Default Re: Painted grill all black today.

Originally posted by LexAristo
I started a thread a long time ago regarding painting the chrome trim of the grill all black a few months ago. Anyhow, I decided to do it today.

Since the screw was stripped, I've always had to use newspapers to paint because the grill just won't come off. Here is a pic of the work. However it is still drying in my garage right now

My car is looking like darth vader! hahaha
I'll have pics of the finished product tomorrow.
had to bring back ,too funny.
Old 08-13-04, 12:06 PM
BRAKATK
Driver

I just painted mine and will post a pic when I get it back on. I used black metallic auto trim paint. I figured it would stick and wear better than the hardware store paint. Also, If you are painting the chrome and grille both, you only need to remove the hood clasp, the plastic trim piece underneath and 3 bolts and 2 trim nuts. Bryan-If I remember your stripped screw correctly, it doesn't matter to remove the entire grille and trim assembly. You can remove the grille (too late I suppose)!

Here is a pic of a UK Sport Model with the black grille.
Attached Thumbnails Painted grill all black today.-ttegrilljzs147-2.jpg  
Old 08-13-04, 12:10 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by BRAKATK
I Here is a pic of a UK Sport Model with the black grille.
Thats the TTE grill for the first gen gs or JZS-147..
Old 08-13-04, 12:23 PM
BRAKATK
Driver

Here is another pic of the grille. This is from the UK and features the TTE wheels and rear spoiler as well. I like this car a lot.
Old 08-13-04, 12:33 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is another pic of the grille. This is from the UK and features the TTE wheels and rear spoiler as well. I like this car a lot.
The complete TTE package...
Old 08-13-04, 06:11 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

will the side marker look good on our GS cars?The one on the fender.

Last edited by lexus4jess; 08-13-04 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-13-04, 06:33 PM
Wald GS

I just painted mine and will post a pic when I get it back on. I used black metallic auto trim paint. I figured it would stick and wear better than the hardware store paint. Also, If you are painting the chrome and grille both, you only need to remove the hood clasp, the plastic trim piece underneath and 3 bolts and 2 trim nuts. Bryan-If I remember your stripped screw correctly, it doesn't matter to remove the entire grille and trim assembly. You can remove the grille (too late I suppose)!

Here is a pic of a UK Sport Model with the black grille.
i need to repaint my black grill Leo. However, I tried taking off the grill and I was unsuccessful even with the stripped screw. How can I take it off with a stripped screw?
Thanks
Old 08-13-04, 08:35 PM
sillbeer
Driver

BRAKATK

Just curious. What kind of bumper is that on your car? Or is it just a lip spoiler? It looks nice.

-Destin
Old 08-14-04, 10:53 AM
BRAKATK
Driver

Hey B-I am out the door now, but I will try to scan some pages that show this. In the meantime, the process requires taking the hood latch off (two bolts), the two trim nuts on each side of the grille, the plastic trim cover on the underside of the grille (two philips screws on each side plus 4 plastic clips-use a clip tool or a slim putty knife to pop the clips-you need them again to reinstall). Then the grille and chrome trim (one piece at this point) can be removed by taking out 3 bolts that remain. I thought the screw that you had stripped was one holding the chrome to the plastic grill. If you are painting it all, then it doesn't matter. If it is one you have to remove per these intructions, then use a screw tap (at any hardware store) or drill it out and replace with a new one. I used Black Metallic Trim paint by Duplicolor available at Kragen's. The cans are small so get 3. Its a nice finish for our cars and matches my green metallic paint well. I will post a pic when I get a chance later today maybe. Good Luck.
-LB

Quick Reply: Painted grill all black today.