GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

f-max turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 08:54 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink f-max turbo kit

has anyone remember someone that had or still have the fmax turbo kit or something similar? if so, what are the good and bad things about it? im really concentrating on getting a turbo kit. my plan is to just re-do the head and tranny before i get the kit cuz since im having problems with my tranny, might as well prep it up for some serious hp gain.......hopefully around 350-400hp. there are lots of turbo kits out there that are reasonable but it's just the quality and reliability im worried about. i hear some negative reviews on f-max espclly on the exhaust manifold and yet it's a decent kit to have for the money! there are some other kits from bolt-on.com and non-turbo.com and of course not to mention about toyomoto, spengineering, xs-engineering...etc.

so if you guys know about some of these, pls kindly share any infos you might have......tks you guys!!

Last edited by indypwr; 01-27-04 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-27-04, 09:55 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was rumored that F-max manifold cracked however I don't belive we (CL) actaully know someone who had that happen to them.

Recently F-max was bought by turbonetics who makes really good manifolds so even if it was true about the cracking its no longer an issue.
Old 01-27-04, 01:13 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Default I am going to let the cat out of the bag...

in order to help out a fellow club member.For the past 2 months I have researching the turbo kits out there for our cars and have come to a conclusion.If you have the money to buy a complete kit(4200-6500) then go and buy a http://boostlogic.com/
.I myself don't have that kind of money and I am putting together a kit that will give around 285-310 hp and 8-10psi of boosts with no upgrades whats so ever.And the best part it is going to run around $2800-2950 and thats everything that you need.If in your case you want more then you should add another $800-900 for the front mount intercooler, because the kit that I'm piecing together is going to use a TT supra side mount intercooler.The reason I'm using this is because it's cheap and the amount of hp that I want out of my car doesn't require much else.I want extra power and still keep the reliability of my daily driver.From my readings, 300hp on our trannys and stock fuel system is the magic number.When you go over this, is when you have to upgrade fuel injectors and fuel pump and of coarse your tranny.The supraforums.com have been a great help on the subject of turbo, because thats all they talk about.As for the ic piping, the same guy who made my strut bar will also make all of my piping,aluminum and of coarse, polished!I know alot of you guys want to go turbo and after researching it and asking a s--t load of questions I have found that it is cheaper to piece a kit together rather than buy a bolt on kit.Another advantage of putting together your own is that you learn how a turbo system works and what parts you need in order to acheive your desired hp and psi.The more I read the more I understand what makes a turbo system work and what is needed and not needed.Now I'm not saying that I'm an expert, but I have learned alot and I still have more to learn.And as for installation?I will be making the plunge and installing it myself and then have a shop tune it for me.I am slowly buying the parts that I need to get this car boosting.I feel that I will have it done late feb. or mid march.There is a memeber on the sc forums and his screen name is bean, he has done a complete write up on the whole turbo conversion.His experiance and trial and error has helped me alot.Here is another company that I am going to be using, they offer the basics for the turbo kit and you can just piece together the rest yourself. http://store.yahoo.com/nonturbo/davehturbokit.html
Indy if have any questions feel free to pm me and I will be more than happy to help you out to the best of my knowledge. Hope this helps the rest of you guys too.

Last edited by johnee78; 01-27-04 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-27-04, 05:43 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info and the link. Damn I wish I actually proffitted financially from my job. Who wants to help donate to the "Get Leets A Turbo" charity? Anyone?
Old 01-29-04, 02:57 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

$1,875 for a turbo kit??? I don't think I trust that at all, does anyone have this on their car?
Old 01-29-04, 03:47 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Default It's not a complete turbo kit...

You still need a few more things in order to have a complete turbo set up.Here is a list of things that are needed off the top of my head-
bov-blow off valve
ic-intercooler(front or side mount)
ic piping
gauges-boost, air/fuel
turbo timer
oil send & return lines
boost controller- if your boosting more than 10psi
(2) additional injectors and controller

And I think that's all.Now if you are looking for more boost then you have to add some more items to the list of coarse.This set up will give you between 280-300 hp at 6-10 psi.I am actually going with this set-up in my own vehicle and as soon as everything is in and running, I will write up a DIY and pros and cons on the whole turbo install and performance.To some people 280-300hp is not much(and if you don't beleive me, then go to supraforums.com)but compared to the real crappy hp our cars have it's a huge or should I say; night and day difference.How many of you guys would be happy with 280-300 rwhp?Thats what I thought!

Once again, hope this helps..

Last edited by johnee78; 01-31-04 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-04-04, 01:30 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

ok, i've decided to get the f-max turbo kit. f-max recently merged with turbonetics and from i've been
searching, f-max is the cheapest kit out there. heck, 320bhp is well enough fr me. dont want to exceed
400bhp at all but you know, that does not stop right there. im assuming ill be doing some upgrades in the long run. the fmax kit comes with complete hardware and even instructions to fully bolt the unit.
now, since i have 133000miles on my car, i have to get a leakdown test to make sure my internals are
fine.
Old 02-04-04, 01:54 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Why not go with a DaveH kit? Price is $2Gs at nonturbo.com. This is a basic kit and only needs a few knick knacks here and there like oil return lines, boost gauge, etc. Aliga has it on his and so does boredguy. What I'd really like to do is go for a new manifold but I'd be happy with 300 hp .... for now.....

Last edited by siniquezu; 02-04-04 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 02:00 PM
loonyrobert3
Lead Lap

siniquezu question are these guys running it on a first gen gs? and for 2g's more you can have a "700hp monster"

looks good
robert
Old 02-04-04, 02:07 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

on dave h kit, you still need to get intercooler piping and intercooler........dont 4 get..
i think it will all come up to 4g's by the time i complete that dave h kit..........or correct me if im wrong.
Old 02-04-04, 02:20 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Oil return - $100
piping - $300
SMIC - $150
Unless you're going uber baller (ie GReddy 3 row FMIC, HKS BOV, E-manage, etc), the total additional costs should not be an additional $2Gs.

If it's a 2JZGE, it should be fine. Those guys are running on an early model SC3.
Old 02-04-04, 02:23 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

This is a very good post. Like Johnee, before i sold my 1st Gen, I'd began doing extensive reserch, and I had it narrowed down to the Fmax for myself for a few reasons:

1. All Inclusive- The FMAX kit has eveything you need to install it and go, outside the gauges and exhaust. Also, I am not a mechanically inclined guy, so I wanted a kit, that I could buy, drop off at the shop, and pick up a faster car!!

2. Power- as others have said, 280-315rwhp was def enough for me. I wanted my car to be faster than a GS400 (240rwhp), so that was it. I also did not want a monster project with standalone engine mangement and race tranny etc. Pretty much I wanted more speed, and maintain luxury and driveability!

3. Price- for what the kit includes it a great value.

I know a member that has the Dave H kit on his car and after all ancillary components and getting IC piping, he spent about 5-6k out the door. He installed it himself and added some things like Emanage, etc etc so thats all in the price with exhaust, etc etc.

For the tinkerer I think the DaveH is a great kit and deal, for us that less mechanically proficient, I'd say Fmax!!

For you Johnee, I think Toyomoto is something you should be considering as well!!
Old 02-04-04, 02:38 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

DGOT20S: tks for all that infos.............again, i think im considering the fmax. your basic set-up actually matches for what im plnng to do. 320hp is good for me....ill be having a smiley face all the time...hehe
with fmax kit, it also includes a sort of programmed timing control to avoid any kind of detonation when boosting. i like that feature also. it's just that, i dont like the fact to add (2) 440cc injectors. i would prefer
to change all injectors to 525cc and have a walbro fuel pump to compensate.

fmax does not come with fuel pump, i believe, and also no feed/return lines included..........
or am i wrong...........again..hehe

keep going you guys..........im beginning to like this thread cuz i can get more infos....
tks for all yr help

Last edited by indypwr; 02-04-04 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 03:07 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

I know api-t has the Fmax kit on his SC3. You can try and contact him on what he had in the kit.
Old 02-04-04, 03:08 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I'm gonna send a link to this thread to the guy that did the DaveH kit, he can give lots of usefull input!

Quick Reply: f-max turbo kit