Front Console REMOVE. problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 11:05 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Console REMOVE. problem

Dear Gentlemen,,
I have a problem..When driving on a crabby road,,,there is that crazy fuzzy noize coming out of my front console as if something shaking really hard inside the aforementioned console...If you could only explain me how to remove the front console step by step..there is a post here about that but it is not that clear...So..I would really appreciate if you could help me........I really love my gs and would like to remove console really gently ...Thanx in advance
Old 02-16-04, 11:12 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

First wedge a very tiny screwdriver or something similar right below your airvents in the corner and pop out that whole assembly you will 2 bolts.

then pull out your whole ashtray assembly, not the ashtray, but the whole surround, etc. once you pull it out there are 2 bolts behind it.

Take out all four bolts and the radio/climate control units come out together

Hope this helps good luck!
Old 02-16-04, 11:20 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

WOW...it's a bit too fast....airvents on the center console or in the corner of the whole front console near the rear mirrors.......As for the ashtrey device......Is it ok just to pull in small screwdriver without fearing of braking it?????? I have never done smth like that...so its a bit risky for me......please.....more detailed if possibly...thanx for reply bro
Old 02-16-04, 11:47 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

the vents in the middle above the climate control, just wedge something in the edge to get leverage and pop it out, of couse be careful not to damage it.

for the ashtray , just pop out the tray, then pull on the housing (the area around the tray it self) it all comes out in a single unit
Old 02-16-04, 12:12 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If something is rattling it's probably the ashtray mechanism. Just flip it down, take out the little plastic ash bucket in there, and PULL like you have never pulled before. The first time you take it out is the hardest. Inspect it to see if anything is wrong. Drive around without it and see if you still hear the rattle. I belive the spring has broken in mine.

*****Oh, put the car in low gear to get enough room to pull it out.

It is held on by four metal clips. One in each corner. I doubt anything on your climate control or radio is rattling. Rattles are hard to track down. My seat belt lock was rattling and I tore the whole console apart, too. Although I did find a very nice brass paperclip inside for no apparent reason.

Good luck.

Also might be a leaf in your AC system? Check the air intake below your windshield wipers outside the car. Make sure it is nice and clean, no leaves or branches. Something might have gotten inside.

Look for a post on this forum about adding a "cabin filter." There is a panel you can remove where stuff can accumulate from the outside air. I snapped a photo of it. You can actually add a filter, too. It's pretty neat. Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-17-04, 11:34 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hey fellas dont mean to hi-jack the thread but can you tell me if the same goes for the lower shifter console, trim, bezel, thingy...im removing mine to run some secret wires and such and also want to re-laminate the wood as it has some cracks.

Thanks

james
Old 02-17-04, 12:34 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No prob.

Yeah that's the next step after you take out the ashtray deal. That peice of plastic just below the shift ****? Push it down, it just snaps on. There you see two screws. BE REALLY CAREFUL. They strip super easily.

Then you can just pull the shifter right off. Next you pull that console piece off. It's just snapped in there, too.
Old 02-17-04, 12:45 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Pianoman72, thanks. Im actually wondering about the large wood trim piece around the whole shift console ? I searched but didnt find anything that applied to the 1st gens just rx'gx'sc' etc...

Thanks
Old 02-20-04, 08:25 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

Guys...thanx a lot..the ashtrey section came out really easy.....There are actually three bolts behind the ashtrey console..I removed them ..I also removed airvents...but there is nothing behind them...just the tube going inside..No bolts in there as someone mentioned......But climate control and audio unit seem to be gripped tightly right above the climate console......And I couldn't remove the console...BUT......seems like I removed the rattling sound....that was it.......Thanx anyway....
Old 02-20-04, 08:31 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

THUGRIDAH , for future reference the audio and climate control are all on the same bracket. Four 10mm/philllips head bolts hold it in. I removed mine to get the whole center console out.

James
Old 02-20-04, 12:00 PM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

I didn't find four bolts..I found only three, once I removed front console....I removed those and that loosened the climae and audio units ...but somth seemed to grip the units from above...Thats the point...Maybe two other bolts are somewher inside the airvents..........I don't know/////Maybe you can help me
Old 02-20-04, 12:08 PM
C to the O
Pole Position

Is this how we can get in and replace the bulbs? I've been trying to figure this out for months!!!!
Old 02-23-04, 10:29 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

ill try to get pictures of my junk tonight. I took it all apart this weekend. I busted the shift handle cause I didnt listen to the advice from Pianoman72 I didnt pull the cover down for the screw cover and I busted the OD button out of the shift ****. I'll try and post pix up tonight. yes you can get to the bulbs by doing this