GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Tail light indicator.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-04, 06:42 PM
TouringGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light indicator.

Seems as though all possible problems are hitting my GS at once... For the last 2 weeks the tailight bulb indicator flashes on my dash everytime I depress the brakes. I originally thought one of my tailight bulbs was out, but they are all working fine. Apparently, the indicator comes on only when I have my headlights on. Has anyone had a similar problem?

If anyone has any idea what the problem might be, i'd appreciate your response.
Old 02-18-04, 10:26 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

our tail lights are all dual filament. its a little hard to tell but have someone step on the breaks for you and look carefully. i'm positive one of your rear bulbs are burnt out. its a clear 1157 bulb. should be under 2 bucks each
Old 02-19-04, 08:57 AM
TouringGS
Rookie

Thanks for the info, Jmai.

I actually had someone hit the brake pedal for me to check them, but they were working fine. Since I'm stubborn, I replaced the bulbs anyway (Since they were $1 and change at AutoZone). I replaced all bulbs with ease, except for one that is located on the upper left of the rear. That bulb just would not come out.

I pushed in and turned it but it didn't even budge. Perhaps this bulb is the culprit, but I cannot get it out.

Is it possible that the bulbs aren't causing the indication on the dash, but a bad sensor instead?
Old 02-19-04, 01:22 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

did you say only when you applid the breaks the lights came on? or how about when you put the car in reverse? maybe your rear deck LED lights? check all those also.
Old 02-19-04, 02:30 PM
TouringGS
Rookie

Yup, only happens when I step on the brakes. My headlights have to be on for it to come on, though. For example, if my headlights are off and I press the brake, the light on my dash won't come on. If my headlights are on, it will come on when I press the brake.

Rear deck LED is also working fine. One in a million problem I guess, lol.
Old 04-19-07, 10:04 AM
gmfeny
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem... can't figure out what's wrong did anyone find out how to fix it
Old 04-19-07, 12:15 PM
BrooklnLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by gmfeny
I have the same problem... can't figure out what's wrong did anyone find out how to fix it
I had this prob B4 too...It drove me crazy for like 3 weeks!

I think the dash indicator is a merly a warning before they actually blow out...so you may see that your tail lights are still working even though the dash indicator is still on.

I solved it by just changing the bulbs...You need to somehow extract the bulb that's stuck! This may be the culprit.
Old 04-19-07, 03:32 PM
phollero
Pole Position

I think the stuck bulb was inserted the wrong way (you'll notice the 2 stubs on the side of the bulb are different distances from the base). Although both filaments work, the sensor is probably sensitive enough that it will go off.

I know when I tried LED replacements the sensor lights up even if all are working perfectly. I switched back to regular long life 1157's.
Old 04-20-07, 12:50 PM
kuzini
Rookie

Default Hi

did you check your head lights, fog light?? Or maybe your brakes need to be replace.Hope that can help, I had the samething but mine was just the rear brake light.