Cylinder head gasket oil leakage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-04, 09:18 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder head gasket oil leakage

hello everybody..

I have a problem with my 93 gs 300 engine...Or maybe not..I just don't know if cylinder head gasket should leak a little (like they do in german cars). If not,,then what problems will occur if I don't get rid of that leakage...And what do I need to do to fix the problem...remove the whole traction unit?....I really need yur help cuz, oil leakage (or rather steaming) looks freaky on my engine and looks like oil spot spreads all over the place....Thanx a lot.
Old 04-30-04, 11:10 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You headgasket sould not be leaking. However the valve cover gaskets do tend to leak on the 2JZ-GE. Check your PCV valve for grime buildup or just replace it to be safe. Yes you have to take the throttle body off to access the engine.

I've found auto-rx to be effective at breaking down and removing sludge and carbon build-up.

http://www.auto-rx.net/
Old 04-30-04, 07:45 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

How much oil are you losing and specifically where is it leaking from: head-gasket, valve covers, etc.?
Old 05-01-04, 01:59 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

I don't know exactly what is leaking...maybe it's valve gasket possibly....anyway can anybody tell me the concequences of these two problems....valve or cylender head gaskets....I don't lose that much oil anyway

Last edited by THUGRIDAH; 05-01-04 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-01-04, 11:10 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Valve-cover gasket leak will just be messy and will have little consequence on your engine except if the oil level gets too low and the engine will wear occur. Fixing this shouldn't be very expensive and you might even be able to do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined.

The head gasket is a different story. If it's leaking you might get oil into the cooling system, which isn't good, you might get coolant into the oil system, which isn't good, you might get coolant in the combustion chamber, which really isn't good, your engine may be down on power if the leak is near a cylinder, the cylinder head might warp so it will have to be machined, etc. Fixing this would be a little expensive because it will involve taking apart a lot of parts and the cylinder head might have to be machined if it got warped. If coolent gets in the combustion chamber it might bend a valve, therefore requiring more work on the engine.
Old 05-01-04, 11:56 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

Well, after that I believe it's only valve head gasket.....None of the aforementioned symptomes are experienced....but I am not quite sure.....Is there a visual difference between valve and cylinder head gasket leakages....Mine leaks (oil steaming) right behind the traction tube ,,,right below the cover (that covers sparks)..I don' know how to explain....there is that crack...I believe it's the only crack that is in the body of engine...Anyway if there is no visual difference between two of those leakages,,,I experience no inner problems like powerdown or coolant....
Old 05-01-04, 12:11 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by THUGRIDAH
Mine leaks (oil steaming) right behind the traction tube ,,,right below the cover (that covers sparks)..
It sounds like it might be the valve covers. Why don't you clean it with some carb cleaner or Simple Green so you can clearly see where it's comming from. Then buy the gaskets from the dealer and try to replace it yourself or have a shop do it for you. If you're lucky, you might be able to purchase the same gasket from a Toyota dealer if it's the same gasket used on the Supra, which of course is cheaper. Since it's steaming, you should probably get it fixed.

Take some pictures and post it so we can see.
Old 05-03-04, 08:34 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

Here are some pics guys,,,....If anybody of you can help me locating the problem, whether it's valve gasket or cylinder gasket leaking, I would appreciate any help
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder head gasket oil leakage-valvegasket.jpg  
Old 05-03-04, 08:38 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

the quality is good, but webpage does make it a little messy..anyway,,,dark steaming is what's leaking..plus you can see that crack I am talking about...that's where two covers connect
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder head gasket oil leakage-valvegasket2.jpg  
Old 05-03-04, 08:44 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

Here's another,,Dark half oval on top is actualy engine oil cap,,You can see dark oil steaming in between
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder head gasket oil leakage-valvegasket44.jpg  

Last edited by THUGRIDAH; 05-03-04 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-03-04, 08:50 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

The area of this pic is adjacent to timing belt cover
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder head gasket oil leakage-valvegasket33.jpg  
Old 05-03-04, 10:39 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

It looks like it definitely is NOT your head gasket, so you shouldn't be worried too much now. My engine used to have oil deposits like that and it ended up being the distributer o-ring that was leaking oil. The wind from the fan pushed the oil back from the distributor and covered the parts like yours.

On your car it looks mostly like grime and a little spilled oil that is causing all the oil deposits. Try cleaning it up to see if it returns because most of it looks pretty old. It really doesn't look like you have much to worry about.

Last edited by LB Lex; 05-03-04 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-03-04, 06:07 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

yea you should be okay if you are not loosing a significant amount of oil. I just changed my valve cover gaskets cause mine were leaking pretty bad near the rear of the engine. Cost me like $22 for both gaskets and a saturday of taking the engine apart.
Old 05-04-04, 09:02 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

Thanx everybody for helping me....I really worried about that oil leakage.....Gompka, is it hard to change gasket or gaskets,,I suspect there are two of them????Am I right???Left and right gaskets...Is it difficult to change them...Frankly, I am afraid to do it myself,,that traction control tube looks frightening to me....Do you have info on how to disassemble the block/////
Old 05-04-04, 09:37 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

its fairly easy to do if you have the tools. Yes there are 2 gaskets, a right side and a left side. Nothing really gets in the way everything comes off, traction is the least of my worries, the intake manifold is the hard thing to get off.