GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

What I think about additives

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-04, 09:09 AM
THUGRIDAH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I think about additives

One of you guys suggested using Aurot RX to clean transmission fluid...I heard from one respected mechanic and many other sources,,not advertisments that these additives are nothing but engine killers...There's no improvement from them..All necessary materials are already in fluid and engine oil..so they need no additives...UNless you want to kill your engine..So I would recommend not to use additives whatsoever..
Old 05-03-04, 09:51 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It depends...

If you have a high milage car ,say over 90,000 miles then doing any kind of internal flush, whether it be engine or tranny could cause more harm than good..I have inquired about a power flush for my tranny and my lexus mechanic advised against it due to the milage that I have on my car (145,000) He would do it but would not be held responsible if something in the tranny goes wrong..He said that because after a number yrs and mileage the stuff that is in your tranny or engine is actually sealing things up and holding things together..It sounds crude but true..The only additives that you should use would be injector cleaners or marvel mystery oil..Try to stay away from engine flushes and tranny power flushes.This info is from my mechanic and he has been working for lexus for 12 yrs.If your car has 30,40 or even 50,000 miles then you may actually benefit from these services.Hope this helps..
Old 05-03-04, 10:52 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also stay away from oil additives too. The only additive I put in my car is Techron Fuel System Cleaner to clean the injectors, intake valves, and combustion chamber. It works really well at cleaning up your fuel system.

Oil additives are a different story. Like Johnee said, they will clean your engine but they will remove deposits that may be stopping your engine from leaking. I know it sounds a little cheesy to not remove oil deposits that keep your engine sealed up if your gaskets are failing, but why try to fix something that isn't really broken?

In regards to your transmission, don't get a *power* flush, instead get a regular flush so that all the old transmission oil is removed. A regular drain & refill will not remove all the old oil in your tranny, hence the periodic need of a *regular* flush. I think a power flush adds cleaners and other detergents that clean up deposits but it really isn't needed and it may cause your gaskets to unseal.

Last edited by LB Lex; 05-03-04 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-03-04, 01:36 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it hasn't hurt my car and it stopped the rear main seal leak that's been there for years. I still need to take a picture of my oil filter for ya'll as soon as I do an oil change.

I agree with you guys totally I just think that, from research and personal experience, Auto-RX isn't one of the bad ones.

Plus, if your tranny is about to go, why not put an additive in there? Especially if it's going to die anyway.

Also, if you have sludge/buildup in your engine and you don't want to tear it down, I don't see that you have any alternative other than using such a product.

I'm going to try the stuff in my girl's Honda, too. Hopefully you guys ARE right and it will finish the darn thing off. lol. civics.