GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

20's with stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04 | 06:27 AM
sillbeer
Driver

Default 20's with stock suspension?

Just curious if anyone has 20's on there gs300 with stock suspension? I'm thinking about getting some new Volk GT-C's in the next couple weeks. Either 19's or 20's. 9 and 10J +37 offset. Those will fit okay right? I have a fender roller so if they stick out a little I can correct that with no problems. I'm just wondering if 20's will fill the gap in the wheel well with stock suspension? If not i'll probably go with a set of hks hypermax sus. Thanks.

-Destin
Old 06-28-04 | 08:02 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

20's will work with the stock suspension, but your car will sit very high in the air, like an SUV..I would suugest lower it first and then put your wheels on..If you are going to lower it, then I would strongly suggest getting coilovers..The adjustibility you get from them makes them all worth it..
Old 06-28-04 | 10:31 AM
Lead Lap

Yeah, 20s make it sit so high in the air little kids can play Dodgeball under your car

Most people lower their car before or immediately after puting the wheels on. Eibach makes a set up springs that will bring it down 1.2" but i think i am going to puchase a set of Tannabe springs which bring it down 1.8". Reviews are good on these two brands from what i have heard so far. According to those same reviews you should avoid Intrax.

The 20s look real good if you have a body kit, like "Dropped GS's " white GS3
Old 06-28-04 | 11:05 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

You will have to lower it because 20 inch rims will raise your car at least 2 inches.
Old 06-28-04 | 12:07 PM
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexAristo
You will have to lower it because 20 inch rims will raise your car at least 2 inches.

I love your signature! It is sooooo funny
Old 06-28-04 | 12:26 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by LexAristo
I don't think it is that bad. What is the stock size tires on the 1st Gens? For the 2nd gen, you only gain about 1" on the diameter, which translates to sitting .5 inch higher off the ground and .5 inch reduction of the fender/wheel gap.

sillbeer,

I am not saying this to encourage the no-drop option, though. Don't underestimate that .5 inch. Plus the fact that the rims are much bigger than the 16s it will givethe car a very SUV-like look. The nice thing about 20s, in terms of drop, is that the extra .5 inch top and bottom allows you to not have to drop the car as much for a nice look. This less required drop also has the additional benefit of being able to drive a round town without being so low off the ground. For example, my main goal has always been to reduce the fender-wheel gap, not to see how low of the ground I can get. This is why I am looking to upgrade my 18s to 20s.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-28-04 | 12:48 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Default Re: 20's with stock suspension?

Originally posted by sillbeer
Just curious if anyone has 20's on there gs300 with stock suspension? I'm thinking about getting some new Volk GT-C's in the next couple weeks. Either 19's or 20's. 9 and 10J +37 offset. Those will fit okay right? I have a fender roller so if they stick out a little I can correct that with no problems. I'm just wondering if 20's will fill the gap in the wheel well with stock suspension? If not i'll probably go with a set of hks hypermax sus. Thanks.

-Destin
i'm riding on stock spring & shocks,lexaristo took a pic from behind.lexsuv.hehe

will drop soon.

on our way to auto bac grand opening.hehe
Attached Thumbnails 20's with stock suspension?-gs300-jesse.jpg  

Last edited by lexus4jess; 06-28-04 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-28-04 | 12:55 PM
Neo
The One

Default Re: Re: 20's with stock suspension?

Originally posted by lexus4jess2
will drop soon.
Old 06-28-04 | 03:15 PM
Lead Lap

The second Gen GS is setup much better to accomodate 20inch wheels.
Old 06-28-04 | 10:47 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 007
The second Gen GS is setup much better to accomodate 20inch wheels.
NO WAY!!! the first gen is way better at accomedating 20's. the first gen has a bigger wheel well and can fit wider tires and the body of the first gen just looks better on 20's then the 2nd gen gs.
Old 06-28-04 | 11:12 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

I dunno nuthin bout no 20's.. but my GS on 18" TE37s looks TONS better with even just the Eibach Pro-Kits
(Thanks Johnee!!)

As far as the HiperMax.. well you know how that goes, SillBeer. I'll post up on the ride quality in a few weeks. The Eibachs have a nice firm ride and the 1.2" advertised drop just seems like more. The car looks so much more ....right, now.. I had the LexSUV thing going on just 18s.. even with a body kit. I can just imagine 20s.

I saw a Gen1 GS on the blvd tonite.. I swear he was pushing 22s.. aerogear kit..all white. He was a busta though.. didnt want to talk. Just looked down at my bronze rims (from his SUV-like height) and gave me a wierd look.

Whateva..
Old 06-28-04 | 11:15 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Epik
I dunno nuthin bout no 20's.. but my GS on 18" TE37s looks TONS better with even just the Eibach Pro-Kits
(Thanks Johnee!!)

Your welcome and glad you got them on your car.. Now how about some pictures???
I sent you a PM..
Old 06-28-04 | 11:28 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

I'm working on some updated pics.. went to take themn tonite when I got done, but I got sidetracked on a friends car. Oh, that and racing all my friends cars on my side street with a Nitrous bottle-in-a-bag.
Old 06-29-04 | 12:35 AM
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Jmai22
NO WAY!!! the first gen is way better at accomedating 20's. the first gen has a bigger wheel well and can fit wider tires and the body of the first gen just looks better on 20's then the 2nd gen gs.

Nah, i have to disagree.

The first gen appears to have a bigger wheel well but actually the second gen is bigger. My friend bought a set of 20s for his first gen about 4 years ago when there werent as many people riding on 20s. At that time there was not even a tire manufacturer who made a 20" tire with a low enough profile 35 i think to clear his inner fender well. He grinded off some of the bolt that supported the front shocks and cut his inner fender well to get clearance in turns. Later that year a lower profile tire was on the market. I thought about getting 20s early that year too but there wasn't a low enough profile tire manufactured then and i wasn't going to modify anything. The one (tire) that was offered would fit on a second gen GS with no problems and no modification.

No the first gen can accomodate a pretty wide back tire, but that staggered look is only a look. The 0-60 times on these cars is pitiful. A honda accord will kill a first gen from a standstill. I know you have staggered wheels and that's cool, but before i do it i will have some real horsepower spinning them.
Old 06-29-04 | 01:14 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 007
Nah, i have to disagree.

The first gen appears to have a bigger wheel well but actually the second gen is bigger. My friend bought a set of 20s for his first gen about 4 years ago when there werent as many people riding on 20s. At that time there was not even a tire manufacturer who made a 20" tire with a low enough profile 35 i think to clear his inner fender well. He grinded off some of the bolt that supported the front shocks and cut his inner fender well to get clearance in turns. Later that year a lower profile tire was on the market. I thought about getting 20s early that year too but there wasn't a low enough profile tire manufactured then and i wasn't going to modify anything. The one (tire) that was offered would fit on a second gen GS with no problems and no modification.

No the first gen can accomodate a pretty wide back tire, but that staggered look is only a look. The 0-60 times on these cars is pitiful. A honda accord will kill a first gen from a standstill. I know you have staggered wheels and that's cool, but before i do it i will have some real horsepower spinning them.
actually i'm running stockies right now. 225 all around. i feel the same way you do about the power thing. the stagger setup is a "look" that i like. but i want some power that can actually spin it.

btw, regarding the profile of the tire was your friend running wider than 245 for the front? thats the widest i've seen for the front on a first gen. and rear i believe i saw this guy with 305's? been awhile.

Quick Reply: 20's with stock suspension?