GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

help on amp and sub install

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 10:33 PM
Madasian87
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on amp and sub install

hey guys . i would like to thank everyone on my last question about the free air sub and the amp. now the problem is i need it hooked up. i have a lightning audio strike 10 inch with a f&f lightning audio amp. basically the guys i had do it mounted the sub and the amp. the sub is in the stock location and the amp is mounted by the top. the wiring is done towards the battery and it is grounded well. i do know that there are three sockets that go into the stock amp. mine is the pioneer. i need to know which wires should be used to hook up the new amp and sub. i am using the stock headunit and speakers. they didnt have time to get it done so they gave me this thing that wires rcas to the stock wires. some help would be great. i have no idea if anyone would understand this thing lol. thanks anyways, lawrence
Old 07-14-04, 12:52 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like they gave you the correct wires. Did you go with a Free Air Sub or a Sealed Enclosure. A 12" would have sounded better. What is the RMS power on the Sub and the RMS power on the Amp? 2 channel amp or five.

I never had a Pioneer setup so i cant tell you how the wiring would be, sorry maybe someone else can help. There is also a car audio forum here. You probably should have let them hook it up this first time.
Old 07-14-04, 11:28 PM
BRAKATK
Driver

Default Wires

Here is the wiring you need for the Pioneer OEM system (mine is a '93):

12v Power: White w/Blue
Ground: to amp frame bolt directly (best thing to do)
Woofer speaker: Light Green w/Red and Light Green w/Black
RH Rear Speakers: White and Red
LH Rear Speakers: Yellow and Black
Remote: Red w/Green (smaller guage control wire)

The speaker wires are in the c block, and the rest in the b block.

I connected a SONY 600W 2-channel amp bridged to drive a 12" sub I mounted in the factory opening. It came with a High input module connection I used instead of the RCA inputs. The amp instructions included this option. After connecting it, you have to adjust output levels, bass boost, and turn on the low pass filter and dial it in. I left the rest of the system stock. The system sounds pretty sweet now. Pretty inexpensive upgrade and all I wanted to do right now.

For reference, the OEM Nakamichi system just needs a bigger amp, and it really kicks!!!
Right Sony (inside joke)!

I hope this helps.

Last edited by BRAKATK; 07-14-04 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-15-04, 01:05 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

BRAKATK- thanks for the info, a few of us here were very interested to know what wires to use

Last edited by LB Lex; 07-15-04 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-19-04, 12:09 PM
Madasian87
Driver

alright guys. thanks a lot i got it all installed. i have a 150 watt lightning audio 2 way amp along with a 200 watt rms lightning audio 10 inch sub. i beleive its the scv2 or something along that line. it bumps pretty hard and i put it in the stock position. its a little rattley but i think its just contacting with the mesh cover over it. ill put spacers in if it gets too bad. it sounds great i think and the wiring thing helped. thanks!
Old 07-19-04, 12:10 PM
Madasian87
Driver

btw brak. how does your free air setup sound?
Old 07-23-04, 08:57 AM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question...

I recently purchased my first GS. The car's a dream and I'm learning things about it as I go, etc. Saw this forum and a lot of guys have answered a lot of my questions. Here's another one, hehe....I believe that the OEM stereo system is Pioneer? The manual doesn't give me any info on the amp, speakers, sub (10' in?) I'd like to know everyone's experiences on getting aftermarket speakers, amp, etc...Im sure I can figure out the installation, but I wanted to know about sound quality. How does an aftermarket free air sub sound? Should I get a bigger amp? I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 07-23-04, 01:00 PM
BRAKATK
Driver

Default 12" sub sounds good to me

Hey all,

I added a 12" 30oz. magnet sub replacing the 10" OEM (2 ohm) and it hits much harder with a SONY 600W 2-ch amp in there. I bridged the amp to power the sub and kept the factory amp for the rest of the system. I got the sub FREE with the amp I bought on sale so I figured "WTF" I'll try it. I hooked up the amp to the OEM first and it sounded a bit better, but not great. I installed the 12" sub (requires removing the rear seat and package tray, unbolting the factory sub, and drilling new mounting holes). You can reuse the factory sub's wire plug if you remove it carefully from the OEM sub housing. After dialing in the amp with the 12", it sounds great and really adds some bottom end to the sound inside. The factory speakers sound better, as I can now tune them better with the factory EQ ***** while the sub handles the deep bass sounds. I listen to rock music mainly, so it is sufficient bass for my musical tastes. The whole thing only cost me $120 bucks also!

P.S. If you add this amp (or similar) to the Nak sub it'll really thump. My friend did that and his '93 GS sounds amazing! He also helped me do my ride (cheers to Sony!).

My amp before final mounting:

Nak Sub: