GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

HELP Audio Experts 93 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 06:44 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Audio Experts 93 GS300

Well as you guys know I'm still new to this car (93 GS300) and I just found out that i'm not able to attach a direct cd changer, unless it's a radio frequency changer wich I don't want. Now this forces me to get a head unit but no one has mounting kits for this car!?! I've heard that I have to special make one!?! Is this true!?! Do you guys know of a mounting kit or someone that knows how to make a good decent one!?! It would be a regular din radio. Also, I've noticed that I have a 10' in subwoofer but I can't find an amp. Is this sub running directly from the head unit? I would like to change that sub out and replace it with an aftermarket one so I wont loose my trunk space.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 08-11-04, 08:19 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

You can buy the kit from TM engineering, heres the link to their site..

http://www.tmengineering.net/diy/kits/index.html

The factory amp is located in your trunk under the carpet on the far right hand side of the trunk..Just lift up the carpet and you will see it..If you have a factory changer it's directly underneath it ..The factory sub is a 10" woofer that sits in a 12" template..You can remove the woofer and the plate and drop a free-air 12" in the factory opening..Just make sure it's a 4ohm speaker if you plan on running it off the factory amp..Hope this helps...
Old 08-11-04, 09:18 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

Thanks for the info but i looked on the right side behind the carpet in the trunk and didn't find anything? Is it hidden? (Amp) Also, what 12' in sub is recommended for this car since i'll be using my trunk for an enclosure instead of a box. If anything I will be replacing the amp if i can find it.
Old 08-11-04, 11:14 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bmoon_007
Thanks for the info but i looked on the right side behind the carpet in the trunk and didn't find anything? Is it hidden? (Amp) Also, what 12' in sub is recommended for this car since i'll be using my trunk for an enclosure instead of a box. If anything I will be replacing the amp if i can find it.
Did you check on the rightside on the floor..On the left side is your tire wrench ect.. so look on the opposite side in the same area..For a sub just use any free-air sub..Kicker and JL audio make one..
Old 08-12-04, 01:46 AM
Lead Lap

Kenwood makes a 12" free air which i use. The amp is normally under the CD Changer in the trunk on the right side, you may need to move the carpet and/or right cover. I know this is how it is for a Nakamichi installed head unit. If you have Pioneer i am not sure. I saw in an earlier post that the Pioneer unit's amp may be mounted behind the glove compartment.

For all those with free air subs i have a trick to making it boom a little more. on mine i took a piece of wood, notched it around the magnet area and cut it to fit snuggly between the 12" sub and the metal reinforced wall behind the rear seat in the trunk. Since my sub is so heavy this reduces vibration of the rear deck and shifts it thru the wood to the wall behind the rear seat. The vibration then travels throughout the car so you really feel the bass when sitting inside. Most think i have a box in the trunk with at least 2 subs. My only complaint with the free air is that songs with a lot of snare drums in the beat don't sound as good as they would with an enclosed box. But i am happy as is. Good bass, no rattles, trunk space.
"
Old 08-12-04, 10:09 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

thanks guys, i found the amp and i guess i have to do some rewiring for a new system!
Old 08-16-04, 12:05 PM
y2kr1
Driver School Candidate

Default hello

hello bud if you would liket to get with me i have put a system in my gs and i could help you with yours,i have a indash dvd and flip out moniter ,sub and amp,so if you still need some help just let me know i would be more than glad to help you,have a good day
Old 08-16-04, 12:18 PM
bmoon_007
Driver

Default Re: hello

Originally posted by y2kr1
hello bud if you would liket to get with me i have put a system in my gs and i could help you with yours,i have a indash dvd and flip out moniter ,sub and amp,so if you still need some help just let me know i would be more than glad to help you,have a good day
Thanks, but I was wondering if this kit from this website is a decent one http://www.tmengineering.net/diy/kits/index.html since I can't see a pic!?! I was probably just going to drop in a 12' JL audio sub and rewire the whole car with a new amp (bridge that bad boy and I should get some good bass out of it). I don't want anything where the next block can here me, I just want some good sounds! Head unit is what I'm still debating on, I've always liked top of the line Pionner and probably will stay with them.................Not sure but i've heard these cars uses a Nakamichi system or a Pionner, I'm for sure that it's not a Nakamichi but not sure if it's a pionner and if it is can i use a direct cd changer!?! I've heard that the 95 models and up will only take a direct cd changer. That's why I'm doing all this.
Old 08-16-04, 04:52 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

The kit offered from TMengineering is the only kit available for our cars.The kit is a single din with a pocket on the bottom and is made by metra..
Old 08-16-04, 05:32 PM
lexurious1
Rookie

Default I can help!

WHat part of Texas do you stay in? I am MECP certified and stay in Dallas I have a pretty nice system in my car! Let me know..LEX1
Old 08-17-04, 06:27 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

Default Re: I can help!

Originally posted by lexurious1
WHat part of Texas do you stay in? I am MECP certified and stay in Dallas I have a pretty nice system in my car! Let me know..LEX1
I stay in Dallas also! Well I just purchased the kit from TM but I've never worked on this type of car before. Sure, any help I can get would be great! Do you have the same model?
Old 08-18-04, 06:00 AM
lexurious1
Rookie

Default Really!

Hey my name is Jacob and I live north of Dallas in Allen off of 75. I have a 95 GS300 with Pioneer DVD6500 in front and two headrest monitors! In the trunk I have 2-12" JL W3's with 2 audiobahn amps! I know the GS300 in and out when it comes to stereo installation...I have taken my car apart about 20 times! I just moved here from ATLanta about a month ago so I still have an ATL cell phone number....I'll send it to you in a private message! Give me a buzz and lets see about getting together to install your system. ANyhow what part of Dallas do you stay in? Jacob-Lex1
Old 08-18-04, 07:02 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

Default Re: Really!

Originally posted by lexurious1
Hey my name is Jacob and I live north of Dallas in Allen off of 75. I have a 95 GS300 with Pioneer DVD6500 in front and two headrest monitors! In the trunk I have 2-12" JL W3's with 2 audiobahn amps! I know the GS300 in and out when it comes to stereo installation...I have taken my car apart about 20 times! I just moved here from ATLanta about a month ago so I still have an ATL cell phone number....I'll send it to you in a private message! Give me a buzz and lets see about getting together to install your system. ANyhow what part of Dallas do you stay in? Jacob-Lex1
What's up Jacob, my name is Braulio, if you can't pronounce it people call me "B" for short! I live close to Lower Greenville. Sounds like you have a nice system but i really don't want to loose my trunk space. I have a buddy of mine that is mecp certified but has never worked on this type of car and sounds like you know these cars inside and out. Shoot me an email when you have a chance so i can give you my cell#!
bdeluna@drivefinancial.com
Old 08-19-04, 11:18 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

Received my mounting kit from http://www.tmengineering.net/diy/kits/index.html yesterday! Thanks johnee78 for the info! I went to CarToys to find out if they had one and they said they would have to special make one ($150 = YOU CRAZY!!!) Thanks again johnee78 for saving me $130 smackers and hopefully this will be an easy install! For the meanwhile, do I have to rewire the whole car just for a din radio!?! Also, I don't want to cut any factory harnesses and looking for a wire harness. I was told that I could probably get away with using one that would fit a Toyota vehicle. If this is true what kind and what year Toyota?
Old 08-19-04, 11:51 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Not a problem, glad I could help..As for running an aftermarket radio with a factory system, it's recommended that you run an aftermarket amp instead..I just ran new wires and left the factory harness alone..

Quick Reply: HELP Audio Experts 93 GS300