GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Audio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 08:37 PM
Hockey2315
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Issues

After a long day of staring at a nest of wires next to my gas tank, I realized that trying to repair my audio system is going to be a little harder than just hooking up a new amp and installing a sub in the deck. I recently bought my 93 GS used, and apparently the prior owner decided to install an aftermarket sub and amp, but leave only a blown JL 10" sub when he got rid of the car. I'd really like to get a working sub back there, and would also like to finish this project ASAP because I don't feel very safe driving around with a big fire hazard next to my gas tank. Trust me, it's a fire hazard, including a speaker amp tied to the gas line with a shoe lace. So now I need to re-wire what I can, hook up a single channel amp, and mount the new sub in the deck. Doesn't seem too bad, right? Wrong. It appears that the JL sub is glued, yes glued, in to the deck. If i figure out how to get the grill above the sub off the deck I can probably remove the old sub and drop in a new one, but for some reason the grill won't come off. Any suggestions how? Also, what sub/amp should I use? I was thinking of maybe a 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 with a Kicker amp, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Brian
Old 08-31-04, 12:49 AM
JLAM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like a big mess. Well to start off...you cant just pull the grill off, the whole rear deck cover has to come out. To take that out you have to take out the back seat. Just pull really hard on the bottom portion of the seat, it should come off. The back portion is held in by 4-5 screws near the bottom. Then it should come off if you pull up on it. Now you can pull the whole cover on the rear deck. Then take the sub out. I'm using a 6-channel JBL amp with 6.5" Focal components in front and 6.5" Focal coaxial in the rear. I also have a 12" Kicker Comp sub on the rear deck. I'm satisfied with my setup..sounds great!