GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Anyone change starter themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-04, 10:51 AM
dundfaukus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Anyone change starter themselves?

My starter is bad on gs300 and I need to change it for a new one. I generally do all auto work myself because shop labor is killer. So far I take it that I must remove the intake manifold to even get to the starter, that is being a pain itself from a couple bolts that are impossible to take off . So any tips or links to walkthrought someone may have done, let me know, thanks.
Old 11-02-04, 04:49 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My dad and I did this job summer '03 on my brother's first-gen (Link 13 is his Club Lexus "name")

It's not that bad of a job- some swearing was involved, but we did NOT remove the intake manifold. If you have a helper the job will be quitte a bit easier. The starter comes out from below, but the bolts are easiest to access from the top (engine compartment).

With the vechicle jacked-up and supported on jackstands (for safety) and the battery disconnected, one person can slide beneath and hold the starter as the other person loosens the bolts from the top. We had the starter out in about 15 minutes. Getting the starter out from between the transmission tunnel and transmission takes some manuevering- pay attention to how you do this, it will help you inderstand how to install the new starter.

Installation is basically the "reverse of removal" as they say. If I recall, my dad slid under the car and worked the starter up into position, connected the wires, and I started the top bolt to take the weight of the starter. He installed the lower bolt from below.

It's not a bad job, but it does require some patience and long socket extentions- I think we used a U-joint as well. If you don't have a decent selection of tools, I would recommend letting a professional do this.

-Bob

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 11-02-04 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-02-04, 11:16 PM
dundfaukus
Rookie

i was actually thinking that maybe i can get around taking off the intake manifold....i have decent set of tools, maybe i should jack the car up more for easier access. thanks for info though.
Old 11-05-04, 04:28 PM
dundfaukus
Rookie

man it took me a few hours to get it in/out

my problem is for some reason the harness that plugs into the starter is not fitting...well it fits, just wont snap in...PITA