GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

noisy power steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-04, 04:59 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisy power steering

Yesterday my car started to make that squeling noise we all hate. it only happens at low rpm while turning the steering wheel. i just filled up the power steering fluid because that was kind of low but the noise is still there. does this mean my power steering is about to go out?? what can i do to fix this problem?
Old 11-08-04, 05:48 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I know EXACTLY what that is. That happened to me about 3-4 months ago.

Its %100 your power steering pump.
Old 11-08-04, 09:12 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

well i know it is my power steering, but i wanted to know if there is anything i can do to fix it, or will it need replacement?
Old 11-08-04, 11:03 PM
hotmachine
Driver

You can rebuild it. I'll try it on my LS and I'll let ou know.
Old 11-09-04, 09:15 PM
93g3
Driver School Candidate

same thing happened to me a few months ago. i kept it filled with fluid but it kept squeaking. Eventually the squeak became worse, more like a rubbing sound. Anyway, it only happens when i first start the car at low speeds and ecspecially on tight corners. The mechanic said air is getting into the steering column and it would need replacing. Estimated parts and labor is 800. I just cant justify putting that much into the car so ive decided to sell it. hope this isnt a common problem.
Old 11-10-04, 05:17 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

They told me it could be air in the steering but i went somewhere else and they said it was the powersteering pump so i got a new one installed for like $528 and the sound never came back agian.
Old 11-10-04, 09:04 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fluid loss, but where is the power steering leak? That is where the air is getting in, right? Maybe it just looks like it is coming from the column. It could be dripping onto the column, you know? My Lexus dealer made that mistake; it was actually coolant leak.

I would suspect the column last, nobody on here has had it go out as far as I know. Bunch of people have burned up their PS pump, though. And you know those hoses will spring leaks, especially on a 10 year old car.

Originally posted by 93g3
same thing happened to me a few months ago. i kept it filled with fluid but it kept squeaking. Eventually the squeak became worse, more like a rubbing sound. Anyway, it only happens when i first start the car at low speeds and ecspecially on tight corners. The mechanic said air is getting into the steering column and it would need replacing. Estimated parts and labor is 800. I just cant justify putting that much into the car so ive decided to sell it. hope this isnt a common problem.
Old 11-10-04, 10:01 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Old 11-10-04, 11:24 AM
93g3
Driver School Candidate

the column was a consideration. I'm not really sure, i had 3 places look at it and only one could even find some sort of problem. Either way, it seens like its gonna cost alot.
Old 11-10-04, 11:33 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if your power steering system has never had a flush&fill you could see if that fixes the problem. That shouldn't be expensive and it is worth doing even if the pump eventually gives out.
Old 11-10-04, 04:56 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I took my car for some hard driving today after setting the stiffness setting on my coilovers to the stiffest. I hear that noise when i turn and then it would go away. Any ideas why it would be noisy and then would quiet down a few minutes later.

thanks
Old 01-25-06, 01:07 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Default Broken PS pump was quiter than the rebuilt one

bout a month ago i replaced my PS pump because it wasn't pumpin. I ordered one from overnightparts.com and they sent me one with all plastic red pieces shattered to pieces and completely greasy, yea, big thumbs down to that.

When we replaced the pump, it was super quiet but with the new one, it makes a lot of noise, more than the engine. Doesn't sound like a bad sound but i certainly don't want to hear it. We UNFORTUANTLY put regular (super america) ATFluid because i forgot to buy it in advance.

Also, fluid leaks out of the top from the cap, and the fluid leve is a tad bit full
Old 01-25-06, 02:38 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
bout a month ago i replaced my PS pump because it wasn't pumpin. I ordered one from overnightparts.com and they sent me one with all plastic red pieces shattered to pieces and completely greasy, yea, big thumbs down to that.

When we replaced the pump, it was super quiet but with the new one, it makes a lot of noise, more than the engine. Doesn't sound like a bad sound but i certainly don't want to hear it. We UNFORTUANTLY put regular (super america) ATFluid because i forgot to buy it in advance.

Also, fluid leaks out of the top from the cap, and the fluid leve is a tad bit full
It could be a bad pump, was it new or remanufactured, rebuilt or used? Also did you check to see if the steering rack screen filter in the inlet from the pump was clogged or has gunk in it? ATF IS atf as long as it's clean it shouldn't make too much of a difference. Are you sure it's coming from the pump and not the tensioner?
Old 01-26-06, 10:00 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by turbogs300
It could be a bad pump, was it new or remanufactured, rebuilt or used? Also did you check to see if the steering rack screen filter in the inlet from the pump was clogged or has gunk in it? ATF IS atf as long as it's clean it shouldn't make too much of a difference. Are you sure it's coming from the pump and not the tensioner?
It was a reman and when it was sent to me, it was in awful condition, BAD packaging on company's part resulting in broken red plastic pieces. I don't know where the sound is coming from because i'm not the most knowledgeble in car mechanics but it is really annoying!!