GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

My new brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 07:29 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by LexAristo
Dimpled does not crack as easily as cross drilled. Either way, you pay for what you get.
so the dimpled do crack too?
Old 12-16-04, 11:29 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.. I have mine upgraded to Supra calipers in the front, with Supra front dimpled and slotted rotors.. (Ikuda.. dont know how to spell..) And stock size Brembo GS300 dimpled and slotted in the back. Running Toyota Supra OEM pads on the front and cheap Beck Arnleys on the back..LOL I'm probably going to do the Supra rear calipers too when I do the LSD...I may need the whole ebrake assembly and all when I do the manual tranny. Oh and stainless lines. My car feels like it could do an endo it stops so fast in a straight line. I'm looking into the Supra brake master cylinder too.. or the LS400 or something.

Old 12-17-04, 04:10 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lexus4jess
so the dimpled do crack too?
Regardless of slotted or dimpled, anytime you cut into a materials surface, you are making it weaker. I don't understand why your giving me the . As far as I'm concerned cross drilled will always crack easier, especially with "ebay" rotors....
Old 12-17-04, 06:55 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Originally posted by LexAristo
Regardless of slotted or dimpled, anytime you cut into a materials surface, you are making it weaker. I don't understand why your giving me the . As far as I'm concerned cross drilled will always crack easier, especially with "ebay" rotors....
Sorry to pop you bubble,cuz mine are not ebay.haha.

Old 12-17-04, 11:36 AM
Wald GS

Originally posted by lexus4jess
Sorry to pop you bubble,cuz mine are not ebay.haha.

hhaha,.
Old 12-17-04, 12:50 PM
minh
Pole Position

Epik, are the Supra calipers bolt on? Thanks.

Originally posted by Epik
Hmm.. I have mine upgraded to Supra calipers in the front, with Supra front dimpled and slotted rotors.. (Ikuda.. dont know how to spell..) And stock size Brembo GS300 dimpled and slotted in the back. Running Toyota Supra OEM pads on the front and cheap Beck Arnleys on the back..LOL I'm probably going to do the Supra rear calipers too when I do the LSD...I may need the whole ebrake assembly and all when I do the manual tranny. Oh and stainless lines. My car feels like it could do an endo it stops so fast in a straight line. I'm looking into the Supra brake master cylinder too.. or the LS400 or something.

Old 12-17-04, 02:19 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally posted by minh
Epik, are the Supra calipers bolt on? Thanks.
They are
Old 12-22-04, 06:34 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the Supra Mk4 twinturbo front calipers are a direct bolt on to the front of a GS300 or SC300. Some people say that stainless lines or even the GS300 rubber lines (not recommended..upgrade to stainless) arent long enough, but I had no problem. I just used the Supra banjo bolt b/c it is a little longer than the ones that came with the stainless lines kit for the GS300.

You of course need to pick up a set of Mk4 twin turbo size rotors for the front also.

I've heard that the twin turbo rear calipers and rotors are a bolt up too.. may check that out soon when I do my Supra diff.
Old 12-22-04, 12:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Bryan-

Any braking noises or pedal sensations with the with the slotted rotors?
Old 12-22-04, 12:24 PM
Wald GS

Originally Posted by RA40
Bryan-

Any braking noises or pedal sensations with the with the slotted rotors?
There hasn't been any brake noise. As far as the pedal is concerned, I feel it bite more as in I don't have to press all the way down when I brake. The main thing I feel is no brake fading when I need to slow down from 60 to 10.
Old 12-22-04, 10:06 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

nice brakes dood....whats with all the pre-drilled holes on the rotor hat tho....? kind of takes away from the "it was made for my car" look.... i realize it is covered but...just curious... in any event ...looks good though...
Old 12-22-04, 10:21 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
nice brakes dood....whats with all the pre-drilled holes on the rotor hat tho....? kind of takes away from the "it was made for my car" look.... i realize it is covered but...just curious... in any event ...looks good though...
toyota oem rotors have the pre-drilled holes on the rotor hat also if you need to worry about stuff like that I think you need to spend more money more more money lol
Old 12-27-04, 12:12 PM
minh
Pole Position

Thanks for the info on the supra brakes. May do the swap as my next project.
Old 12-27-04, 02:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

If the TT Supra calipers bolt up, then you may also look into the LS400 calipers. It is beginning to look like the brakes have some interchangebility among our cars. The only issue now would be a high disk wheel for caliper clearance.
Old 12-27-04, 04:34 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by PandaGS430

Yes.they are OEM rotors that are slotted and dimpled.but curious?how is the dimple put on?cuz you can't dimple the rotor with a press.You have to machine the dimple,just like drilling them in.
sorry lexaristo but every one buys the same rotors from the same place.All from over sea's.Even mine.I will look into buying 4 piston brake for my next project.

Just be honest ,no bull please.

Last edited by lexus4jess; 12-27-04 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: My new brakes.