GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

My new brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-04, 01:17 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new brakes.

These are the R1concepts.com Premium rotors (not your ebay special) and were a special order because of the stronger casting process/quality. They also have a electric black paint which will not come off and prevents rust.

They were customized to my liking which was dimpled and slotted. I also have a set of r1concepts stainless steel brakelines and 2 sets of axxis/pbr metal master brakepads.

I will install these this week and provide you guys with some feedback.

If interested contact Martin at r1concepts.com and tell him "Bryan with the Lexus sent you" he'll hook you up.

Last edited by Wald GS; 12-11-04 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-11-04, 09:04 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Very nice, I especially like the black rotor hats....just curious - what are the specs, front and rear sizes? Oh and most importantly how much?
Old 12-12-04, 10:52 PM
Wald GS

Here they are installed along with the stainless steel brakelines. After breaking them in, stopping has increased dramatically. I can feel the pads bite into the rotor without brake fad as a result of the new brakelines.

Seize, it depends on the type of rotor you want to determine the price.

Last edited by Wald GS; 12-20-04 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-13-04, 10:48 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by LexAristo
Here they are installed along with the stainless steel brakelines. After breaking them in, stopping has increased dramatically. I can feel the pads bite into the rotor without brake fad as a result of the new brakelines.

Seize, it depends on the type of rotor you want to determine the price.

How come the your rotors are dimpled only ,not all the way throw like mine???All the rotors that I've seen go throw.

What's the difference?

Last edited by lexus4jess; 12-13-04 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-13-04, 11:26 AM
Wald GS

Originally posted by lexus4jess
How come the your rotors are dimpled only ,not all the way throw like mine???All the rotors that I've seen go throw.

What's the difference?
I didn't want cross drilled because it has a tendancy to crack. Porsches started the dimpled craze and they are more for daily driving/ race oriented. Cross drilled are for pure racing because when you race, your brakes are under intense heat and need cooling.
Old 12-13-04, 11:33 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally posted by LexAristo
I didn't want cross drilled because it has a tendancy to crack. Porsches started the dimpled craze and they are more for daily driving/ race oriented. Cross drilled are for pure racing because when you race, your brakes are under intense heat and need cooling.
yea the dimpled are the way to go imo. Epik uses them too. They still trap gasses and remove them from around the caliper.
Old 12-13-04, 05:06 PM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Hey Bryan, your new brakes looks very nice. Let me know how they feel in a couple of months. I'm thinking about replacing my rotors too when I replace my brake pads. My 120,000 miles major service is coming up so I think I'll probably do it then.
Old 12-13-04, 06:42 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Looks really good Bryan I like the painted rotor hats, I hate it when the stock rotor hats rust, they're really an eyesore. Now you don't have to worry about that, all I did was paint them with silver Rustoleum, works pretty well.

Are those stock size and are you running the stock calipers?
Old 12-13-04, 09:26 PM
Wald GS

Originally posted by LB Lex
Looks really good Bryan I like the painted rotor hats, I hate it when the stock rotor hats rust, they're really an eyesore. Now you don't have to worry about that, all I did was paint them with silver Rustoleum, works pretty well.

Are those stock size and are you running the stock calipers?
Thanks Eric! Those came electric black finished to prevent the rust and other discoloration. My old rotors had rust but no one could see. heheh

Yep, those are my stock calipers. thanks for your great support as usual!

Originally posted by kts_GS3
Hey Bryan, your new brakes looks very nice. Let me know how they feel in a couple of months. I'm thinking about replacing my rotors too when I replace my brake pads. My 120,000 miles major service is coming up so I think I'll probably do it then.
Thanks alot Kevin!

So far they feel really good! When I brake, I can feel them bite. It will look even better on your car since you have spoke rims!

Bryan
Old 12-14-04, 12:20 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great!!!....thinking of getting some rotors too....i'll prob wait till I hit 100k....
Old 12-14-04, 08:23 PM
Wald GS

Default Re: ...

Originally posted by Seize
Very nice, I especially like the black rotor hats....just curious - what are the specs, front and rear sizes? Oh and most importantly how much?

The size is stock. The cost was 550.00 since I went with the whole package deal of 4 rotors(400), brakelines(100), and 2 sets of pads(100). It would of been 600 if I had purchased separately. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Wald GS; 12-14-04 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-15-04, 02:41 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Originally posted by gompka
yea the dimpled are the way to go imo. Epik uses them too. They still trap gasses and remove them from around the caliper.
What gases?You mean, brake dustand debris.right?cuz the dimples work the same as the slots.hehe.You just pay more for something that works the same as drilled.But you do get the Black paint.(pretty). it's all good.
Old 12-15-04, 03:17 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

What gases?You mean, brake dustand debris.right?.
When you brake there are gases created by the high heat and the friction material that reduces brake performance. This is noticeable mostly if you drive hard because the brakes get hot real fast after braking hard a few times.

I'm not sure which is better, but I would think that slotted rotors are better than dimpled because the slots allow the gas to escape while the slots give the gas a little room to expand. As Bryan said though, drilled rotors probably are better at letting the gases escape but they tend to weaken the rotors.

For street use, Bryan got a good compromise by getting dimpled and slotted rotors
Old 12-15-04, 08:47 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Originally posted by LB Lex
When you brake there are gases created by the high heat and the friction material that reduces brake performance. This is noticeable mostly if you drive hard because the brakes get hot real fast after braking hard a few times.

I'm not sure which is better, but I would think that slotted rotors are better than dimpled because the slots allow the gas to escape while the slots give the gas a little room to expand. As Bryan said though, drilled rotors probably are better at letting the gases escape but they tend to weaken the rotors.

For street use, Bryan got a good compromise by getting dimpled and slotted rotors
You mean the steam from the pads are gases?I thought it was heat.
Old 12-15-04, 09:46 PM
Wald GS

What gases?You mean, brake dustand debris.right?cuz the dimples work the same as the slots.hehe.You just pay more for something that works the same as drilled.But you do get the Black paint.(pretty). it's all good.
Dimpled does not crack as easily as cross drilled. Either way, you pay for what you get.

Last edited by Wald GS; 12-15-04 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: My new brakes.