GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Hesitation at initial throttle...spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 12:14 PM
dundfaukus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation at initial throttle...spark plugs?

I noticed past month or so that my car hesitates slightly when i'm taking off from a dead stop. I suspect I need a tune up, I don't know how long it has been since plugs have been changed, wires are about a year old.

I plan on changing plugs, anyone recommend a certain type to get? I usually get regular NGKs...

And aside from plugs, is there anything else I should look at if this hesitation continues?
Old 12-28-04, 03:37 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have an owners manual ? If not I could look for you - I thought I remembered they needed platinum plugs - you could also try Iridium...Expensive but I've had good results on my motorcycles with them..

What's your gas mileage like ? Could it be a crappy tank of gas ?
Dist Rotor ? Air filter ? I guess that'd be replaced in the tune-up. I guess it could be a few things

I went to a trusted mechanic who works on jap cars...The local NAPA takes all of their rotors to this place to have them ground. I needed mine quick so the dude at NAPA told me where they were located so I drove right on out there....

The guy was very nice and seemed to know a lot about Supras and Lexus' .

He asked me how many miles I had - after I told him 110K he said the ONE thing I could do to help the car was to have this 'massive intake and Fuel Injector" cleaner system run though it - about $140 give or take.. He wasn't being pushy but he said a lot of crap builds up on our cars' intakes because of the shape and what happens when the heat from the engine rises after parking and sort of 'bakes' the intake. Oh well, I'm considering having it done after I finish my front brakes, fix my trunk leak, and replace my valve cover gasket.
I'm enjoying a non-shuddering car now when I brake since I got the rotors turned...

good luck and tell is what fixes it !
Old 12-28-04, 04:11 PM
dundfaukus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get about 350miles off of a full tank, that is including city/hwy mixed.

Tommorrow I suppose I'll make sure to get everything I need. I don't have an owners manual, platinum they say is recommended?
Old 12-30-04, 09:02 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OK here's the pool from the manual...

PS regarding the owners manual, you can get a FREE one from Lexus. I got mine in the mail last week after registering at LEXUS.COM in the owners section. I had problems at the web site so I called them.... they were very nice, registered me and said they'd send an owners manual.. Sure enough it arrived in the mail -- brand spanking new "GS 300 1993 owners manual" last week..

OK in the mean time here are the spark specs

ND = PK16R11
NGK = BKR6EP11
GAP = 1.1 mm or .043 inches

It says nothing about being platinum ....

Good luck and go get your free manual....