GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Lowering 1995 GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-05, 11:19 AM
dlexmon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering 1995 GS

Does anyone own or knows anyone who has a 1995 GS300, that has been lowered with Eibach springs and KYB shocks or has a similar setup? I want to lower my GS and I'm concerned about tire wear. Is it a lot of wear and tear on the tires? Help!

Thanks
Old 01-06-05, 11:37 AM
dlexmon
Driver School Candidate

Default Lowering 1995 GS

Does anyone own or knows anyone who has a 1995 GS300, that has been lowered with Eibach springs and KYB shocks or has a similar setup? I want to lower my GS and I'm concerned about tire wear. Is it a lot of wear and tear on the tires? Help!

Thanks
Old 01-06-05, 02:45 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I had eibach springs and kyb shocks before I went to tein cs coilover suspension.

The ride felt stock even on my 19's and was very comfy. However the drop is not significant, but it does make a difference. Even with the drop (1.25 inches) the car will still have body roll. Your shocks will only last a year and then you will be forced to get new ones since they will blow out. As for camber, yes, you will have inside wear. Many will say, you gotta pay to play.
Old 01-06-05, 03:40 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

A pic before I cut the springs (eibachs)

Old 01-06-05, 03:52 PM
dlexmon
Driver School Candidate

Default Advice on lowering 1995 GS 300

Did your KYB blow out from normal or aggressive driving? I am going for the looks than the performance, so do you think I will run into the same problem. On the tire wear, how often do you have to change out your tires or do you flip the rear tires (remounting by flipping the tires? By the way, beautiful job on GS!

Thanks!
Old 01-07-05, 09:12 AM
SR20DET
Driver School Candidate

If your alignment is good, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 01-07-05, 09:49 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a 1994 GS300 lowered with Eibach springs. The front and rear camber adjustment is maxed out and there is a slight camber issue still. It's not too bad, but it's important to keep a close eye on your tire pressure (so as not to contribute to abnormal or excessive tire wear) and have the car aligned regularly. Eibach supposedly has a camber kit and they sent it to me. It's two big bolts and we didn't really know how to use them. I took the car and had it aligned and the tech said that the bolts were for a Mustang and that Eibach accidentally sent me the wrong kit.

Anyway, the one issue with Eibachs is that they don't lower the car enough for my taste. The ride quality is excellent, though. I tried Intrax springs against the advice of several posters here and they did not lower the car any more than the Eibachs did, the ride quality was poor and they made a clicking noise over bumps that I didn't like.
Old 01-07-05, 10:07 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

If it's within your budget, you may consider getting a set of coilovers..I have a 93 GS300 lowered with a set of TEIN CS coilovers and I couldn't be happier with the drop that I get and the ride quality..They are more expensive but they give the best in regards to comfort and drop..
Old 01-07-05, 11:48 AM
Wald GS

Originally Posted by johnee78
If it's within your budget, you may consider getting a set of coilovers..I have a 93 GS300 lowered with a set of TEIN CS coilovers and I couldn't be happier with the drop that I get and the ride quality..They are more expensive but they give the best in regards to comfort and drop..

I agree with Johnee 100%. I used to have eibachs and kept complaining about the fender gap and coilovers were the only way to go about doing it the right way.
Old 01-07-05, 11:50 AM
Wald GS

Please keep your replies in one thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146014

thanks

-wannabe moderator
Old 01-07-05, 03:37 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And some will ask, what about that camber kit I posted up in your other thread? No go? I thought that was the answer to the rear tire wear.

Originally Posted by LexAristo
As for camber, yes, you will have inside wear. Many will say, you gotta pay to play.
Old 01-10-05, 10:18 AM
dlexmon
Driver School Candidate

Default Lowering GS

Thanks a lot guys! I will really think about which way to go (Springs vs. Coilovers).
Old 01-10-05, 10:40 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by dlexmon
Thanks a lot guys! I will really think about which way to go (Springs vs. Coilovers).
Just for the record I originally went with cut Eibachs and then airride supsension, then back to uncut Eibach and then the Tein CS coilovers and the coilovers rode the best..The airride was nice because of the ease of adjustibilty and rode pretty good, but the coilovers ride the best and offer excellent handling..Hope his helps you make your decision..
Old 01-10-05, 10:57 AM
Wald GS

Another thing to keep in mind is that springs will not settle evenly. My passenger side rear had almost a 4 finger gap while the rear side had 3. Coilovers are good because you can compensate to make sure the car is even all around.
Old 01-14-05, 10:39 AM
dlexmon
Driver School Candidate

Default Wheel size?

Seize,

What is your wheel/tire size? I'm trying to get an idea on how my gs will sit with Eibach springs.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Lowering 1995 GS