GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

My Injen Intake+Custom Intake Pipe=Injen Cold Air Intake (VIDEO and PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 09:05 PM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHOA there turbo
first off, why did you compliment my cold air and then insult his?
granted his is a little more likely to suck up water.
but come on are you bi polar?
Don't say my crap is ok then slam him, that's just not cool.
I respect you and you have a killer 1st Gen man, but don't act all high and mighty about it. You have a turbo, it's a device for making your car go faster, not a means for you to blow hot air.
I don't want to start a crap match here, but that just was way left field.

again I have nothing against you personally, I am just defending a friend.

Last edited by Eric-GS300-; 01-27-05 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 09:12 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbogs300
Believe me it's not hate, I'm just don''t understand why you would do something stupid like that? You car is lowered and then you stick in an air filter thats a few inches from the ground and you think your actually doing something good. I would expect this from a honda guy, but not from someone who drives a lexus unless you're like 18 yrs old.

I know the risks involved with doing a cold air intake of my caliber. I actually have the fender lining at the other house which I will be putting back on even though it will rub a lil.
Old 01-27-05, 09:13 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Here ya go straight from the experts !

A cold air intake (CAI) is different because it is routed to a location away from the immediate vacinity of the hot area of the engine bay. The pipe is longer and more complicated. This makes it more expensive and can be harder to install than the SRI. A huge danger is if the CAI filter is placed near the underside of the car where water can enter. This create the problem of hydrolock and the possibility of water in the engine....not good. The obvious advantage is that it doesn't suffer from heat soak as much as the SRI. The filter will be placed in an area to accept Cold Air only but the piping can still get hot closer to the engine. Some CAI's will not result in a horsepower increase simply because they are not engineered properly. Air passes through the pipe at a certain speed and this speed can have a negative affect on the air speed/pressure that is ideal for the engine. Harmonics and longintudinal waves can also help decrease power if not engineered properly as well as turns in the piping.

You may ask "why would a car manufacturer not engineer the intake like a CAI/SRI in the first place. Well, becaues of the disadvantages mentioned above as well as the noise created from these intakes. It is very rare that a CAI/SRI will be more quiet that the stock system. This plays a huge role in design contraints.
Old 01-27-05, 09:16 PM
Wald GS

Here ya go straight from the experts !

A cold air intake (CAI) is different because it is routed to a location away from the immediate vacinity of the hot area of the engine bay. The pipe is longer and more complicated. This makes it more expensive and can be harder to install than the SRI. A huge danger is if the CAI filter is placed near the underside of the car where water can enter. This create the problem of hydrolock and the possibility of water in the engine....not good. The obvious advantage is that it doesn't suffer from heat soak as much as the SRI. The filter will be placed in an area to accept Cold Air only but the piping can still get hot closer to the engine. Some CAI's will not result in a horsepower increase simply because they are not engineered properly. Air passes through the pipe at a certain speed and this speed can have a negative affect on the air speed/pressure that is ideal for the engine. Harmonics and longintudinal waves can also help decrease power if not engineered properly as well as turns in the piping.

You may ask "why would a car manufacturer not engineer the intake like a CAI/SRI in the first place. Well, becaues of the disadvantages mentioned above as well as the noise created from these intakes. It is very rare that a CAI/SRI will be more quiet that the stock system. This plays a huge role in design contraints.
The g35 coupes/sedans as well as FX both have hi flow intakes.

I understand that the placement is quite low, you could of responded in a uniform manner. Either way, I appreciate your feedback and the lining is going in as soon as I get ahold of it. Thanks for your concern Turbo.
Old 01-27-05, 09:17 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by Eric-GS300-
WHOA there turbo
first off, why did you compliment my cold air and then insult his?
granted his is a little more likely to suck up water.
but come on are you bi polar?
Don't say my crap is ok then slam him, that's just not cool.
I respect you and you have a killer 1st Gen man, but don't act all high and mighty about it. You have a turbo, it's a device for making your car go faster, not a means for you to blow hot air.
I don't want to start a crap match here, but that just was way left field.

again I have nothing against you personally, I am just defending a friend.
I never said your stuff was OK , infact I said the same thing to you. Yours at least had the fender lining in and hopefully the under shield in as well. I didn't see where yours was so accessible to water.
Old 01-27-05, 09:18 PM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

yes I know the reasons behind it
"Harmonics and longintudinal waves can also help decrease power if not engineered properly as well as turns in the piping."
^^^^
these same waves if correct make more power, I'm sure you know this. Granted I don't have an engineering degree, but I notice a difference, and I kept up to one of my friends where as b4 he walked me, has that little bit extra to it.
Old 01-27-05, 09:21 PM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

I am all for constructive criticism I encourage it
Old 01-27-05, 09:22 PM
Wald GS

If its a ugly day, I can just swap the filter back in the normal spot and I'll have my SRI.
Old 01-27-05, 09:25 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Wink

Originally Posted by LexAristo
If its a ugly day, I can just swap the filter back in the normal spot and I'll have my SRI.
You should be fine if you put the plastic sheilds back in. If you do leave it like it is, i hope you never got caught in a sudden downpour or that you forget about it.
Old 01-27-05, 09:29 PM
Wald GS

You should be fine if you put the plastic sheilds back in. If you do leave it like it is, i hope you never got caught in a sudden downpour or that you forget about it.

I will have to do a 2jzgte swap if this engine goes kaput. lol
Old 01-27-05, 09:29 PM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

sorry I got off on you man
you don't want someone to mess up their car.
just said it a little harsh to bryan's liking, and it kinda twitched me, but bygones at this point
Old 01-28-05, 01:25 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Believe me it's not hate, I'm just don''t understand why you would do something stupid like that? You car is lowered and then you stick in an air filter thats a few inches from the ground and you think your actually doing something good. I would expect this from a honda guy, but not from someone who drives a lexus unless you're like 18 yrs old.
THATS TO FUNNY,cuz a mechanic across from my work just pulled up a honda civic with the air intake in the same place.It sucked up water throw the intake.Messed up the head.they just don't learn. HAD TO BE A HONDA .HEHE

Bryan move the intake. make a sheild that will block the air in the engine bay.
Old 01-28-05, 01:26 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=LexAristo]Hey guys,

Before I begin, I would like to thank my personal friend and CL member , Eric aka Lord of the Celsiors for his help with this mod. I added a intake pipe (35.00-45.00 depending where you go)to the Injen intake. Took about 2 hours to do as we had to cut and make sure it was a good fit.

We also cut the pipe from the long end since it was sitting to low as a result of my cars height.

I got lucky Eric had a black Injen rubber connector sitting around.

First impressions have been great andthe car pulls very hard when I floor it it. The main thing that I am very happy about is after parking the car, the intake is cold and not warm which it normally was with the SRI.

Pictured is also my Aristo emblems on the side near the fenders. Getting up his driveway was an adventure as well.

CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO!!

QUOTE]

YOUR VIDEO IS NOT WORKING
Old 01-28-05, 10:26 PM
Wald GS

[QUOTE=lexus4jess]
Originally Posted by LexAristo
Hey guys,

Before I begin, I would like to thank my personal friend and CL member , Eric aka Lord of the Celsiors for his help with this mod. I added a intake pipe (35.00-45.00 depending where you go)to the Injen intake. Took about 2 hours to do as we had to cut and make sure it was a good fit.

We also cut the pipe from the long end since it was sitting to low as a result of my cars height.

I got lucky Eric had a black Injen rubber connector sitting around.

First impressions have been great andthe car pulls very hard when I floor it it. The main thing that I am very happy about is after parking the car, the intake is cold and not warm which it normally was with the SRI.

Pictured is also my Aristo emblems on the side near the fenders. Getting up his driveway was an adventure as well.

CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO!!

QUOTE]

YOUR VIDEO IS NOT WORKING
Works for everyone else. When you click on the link, a window should pop up and say whether to open it or save as.

www.csupomona.edu/~bewong/MVI_2100-joined.AVI
Old 01-29-05, 12:34 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yo bryan...did you ever try dropping in a k&n filter in the stock location?

Quick Reply: My Injen Intake+Custom Intake Pipe=Injen Cold Air Intake (VIDEO and PICS)