GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Anyone use Seafoam on a 100K+ mileage motor??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 06:45 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then I assume you are planning to put it in the oil right? As someone else said, you are trying to do two different things in one. Might I suggest that you do 2 sepoarate functions? Lifter ticking is internal, and is often the result of poor lubrication, which accelerates wear., Once worn out, nothing fixes it but parts replacement. Your noise COULD be the result of dirt and crud, causing lifters or something to stick. 118,000 miles is not a lot of miles per se...however, if the previous owner(s) was lax in oil changes or used the worng grades, excessive wear could occur during that time.

I had 78,000 miles on my first GS4, and 59,000 miles on my current GS4 when I bought them, and both were merchanically sound. My current GS4 had all the maintenance records from Lexus showing synthetic oil changes every 5 000 miles at the dealer, so I was fairly certain that the lubrication system was top notch. I flushed it out after I got it anyway, and there is no valvetrain noise, and no oil comsumption between changes. Hopefully at 100,000 miles it will still be the same.

I wish you good luck whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by gserep1; 03-08-05 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-08-05, 06:45 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

And hopefully tomorrow I'll have some good news to report
Old 03-10-05, 01:17 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Well Lexus could not detect the ticking noise; I had to bring it in the morning and when I got there the car was fully warmed up and was not making any unusual noises.

As for the whining, well that's the bad news. The transmission is shot. It actually started slipping on the way to the dealer. So, I called AAA and had it towed to a Cottman Transmission Center. It turns out that the stator, which is between the TC and the engine, has been sheared smooth. Thus the TC is destroyed,and all the debris has made it's way through the tranny internals. So total bill for a total rebuild with Toyota parts, rebuilt TC and labor comes to ~$3500. All this on a car that cost $7500 to buy. But it is extremely clean, the motor is still running strong, and the body is in great condition. I plan to buy it from my parents when they move soon. I certainly wouldn't if I didn't really like it.

Next step is to get the engine checked out. But like I said before, once the motor is warmed up, there is no unusual sound.

-Ken
Old 03-10-05, 03:16 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Keep us posted. You could fix the tranny and still get what you got into it or very close, so I'd say fix it As long as the motor comes through.
Old 03-12-05, 07:43 AM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbogs300
Keep us posted. You could fix the tranny and still get what you got into it or very close, so I'd say fix it As long as the motor comes through.
The tranny has been rebuild and both the ticking noise and the whirring are gone. The ticking was probably the stator grinding itself smooth, and the whirring was the torque converter destroying itself. But all is well now, and the car runs beautifully.

Now I just need to find some tires for the 2nd gen GS 5-spokes I have sitting in storage.

-Ken
Old 03-12-05, 10:25 AM
CTgs300
Pole Position

I would check a local used parts center one that has quality stuff. I use greenleaf they have locations all over the country and have a+ quality stuff and you get a warrenty for the part and laber if the trans doesn't work. I don't work for them or have anything to gain from telling you this except to save you a couple bucks i think its www.greenleafauto.com. I think a trans for this car is like 750.00 vs 3500.00 you be the judge.
Old 03-12-05, 10:46 AM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CTgs300
I would check a local used parts center one that has quality stuff. I use greenleaf they have locations all over the country and have a+ quality stuff and you get a warrenty for the part and laber if the trans doesn't work. I don't work for them or have anything to gain from telling you this except to save you a couple bucks i think its www.greenleafauto.com. I think a trans for this car is like 750.00 vs 3500.00 you be the judge.
Yes, but now he has a brand new transmission. Hopefully it will last him another 12 years. If you do everything yourself , used engines and trannies are the way to go. However, if you have to pay a shop to install your "used parts" you better hope it's good. Even though there's a warranty someone has to pay for shipping and installing and reinstalling. It can add up pretty quick and be a huge hassle. Whereas if you went to a place that's nationwide, you'll be taken care of anywhere you go, with no additional charges.
Old 03-12-05, 06:15 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbogs300
Yes, but now he has a brand new transmission. Hopefully it will last him another 12 years. If you do everything yourself , used engines and trannies are the way to go. However, if you have to pay a shop to install your "used parts" you better hope it's good. Even though there's a warranty someone has to pay for shipping and installing and reinstalling. It can add up pretty quick and be a huge hassle. Whereas if you went to a place that's nationwide, you'll be taken care of anywhere you go, with no additional charges.
Exactly, the car is stuill my parents and they didn't want any downtime with it. I had no problem waiting 4 months for my Type R motor for my Civic, but I wouldn't do it again. The wait just about killed me !!! The tranny is brand new, built with Toyota parts and backed up with a 12 mon/unlimited mileage warranty. Granted, if it was my car I would have upgraded the TC, but eventually the GS will belong to me. And then it will be time for a GTE swap.