GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Anyone use Seafoam on a 100K+ mileage motor??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 04:35 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone use Seafoam on a 100K+ mileage motor??

My parent's 1993 GS300 is making a couple of strange noises (See my other post), and tomorrow I would like to try some top end engine cleaner (Seafoam) . Anyone have experience using the stuff on their motor w/ over 100,000 miles?

If so, any adverse effects?? Also, did you feed it into the large vacuum line coming from the brake booster??

Thanks,
Ken
Old 03-07-05, 06:31 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this stuff supposed to clean up all the carbon and other junk in the intake and vacuum lines?
Old 03-07-05, 06:42 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

It cleans out the carbon deposits from the engine internals, as well as the fuel system if you add some to the gas tank.
Old 03-07-05, 10:41 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Here's the way I do it! I use a 64oz cup of water with a piece of vacuum line hooked to the port on top of the intake, unplug the line that goes to the side. There are a couple you can use there. Also while doing this make sure there's no brittle or loose vacuum hoses that are leaking. You can check by spraying carb cleaner and see if the idle raises. I stick the vacuum line in the cup and raise the idle so it sucks the water in to the intake. This will clean out the combustion chambers.
As far as the top end cleaner, it will work the same way.

Last edited by turbogs300; 03-08-05 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-08-05, 09:16 AM
CTgs300
Pole Position

water? I thought that was not good in the engine at all.....hmmmm.
Old 03-08-05, 09:32 AM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbogs300
Here's the way I do it! I use a 64oz cup of water with a piece of vacuum line hooked to the port on top of the intake, unplug the line that goes to the side. There are a couple you can use there. Also while doing this make sure there's no brittle or loose vacuum hoses that are leaking. You can check by spraying carb cleaner and see if the idle raises. I stick the vacuum line in the cup and raise the idle so it sucks the water in to the intake. This will clean out the combustion chambers.
As far as the top end cleaner, it will work the same way.
Can you snap a pic of the vacuum line you are referring to?? I was going to pour a 1/3 of the can in through the oil filler cap, and suck up another 1/3 through the brake booster vacuum line. I can use the BB vacuum line right??
Old 03-08-05, 09:48 AM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by CTgs300
water? I thought that was not good in the engine at all.....hmmmm.
Water is fine AS long as it's not in large amounts, such as when sucked up through the intake filter. When large amounts are sucked up in can cause hydrolocking of the motor. You can't suck up enough through the vacuum line to cause any damage. Trans fluid can also be used as well, however, it causes lots of smoke and I'm not sure if it's safe for 02 sensors, water and seafoam are safe

Last edited by turbogs300; 03-08-05 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-08-05, 10:01 AM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Karin'sGS3
Can you snap a pic of the vacuum line you are referring to?? I was going to pour a 1/3 of the can in through the oil filler cap, and suck up another 1/3 through the brake booster vacuum line. I can use the BB vacuum line right??
Brake booster is kind of big, I'd use one of the lines on top of the intake, where the throttlebodies are. Use the one closest to you, when standing in front of the car. Also I did some research and Amsoil makes an engine flush that's supposed to go in the motor and flush out the sludge left behind from dyno oil before using synthetic. It's only about $5 a can. I'm going to order some for the engine as I've not done it yet. I'm not sure how good the flush you'd buy at an auto parts store is? I do trust Amsoil a little more, so I'll try it, as It's designed to flush the motor through the oil. Here's the link to it, if you call the # and order through greg, you'll save about %20.
engine flush t
Old 03-08-05, 03:33 PM
CTgs300
Pole Position

I read this on the amsoil website- www.allsyntheticsgroup.com/flush.html

NOTE: If your vehicle has over 80 or 90,000 miles on it or is more than 10 years old, and you are not currently using another synthetic oil, you may not wish to switch over to AMSOIL. Vehicles with such high mileage may have dry, cracked seals and gaskets. Having used conventional oils for so long (even with 3,000 mile oil changes), the sludge and deposits from oil burn-off may have caused a build-up to occur which is plugging the gaps around these seals and gaskets and preventing leaks.

Although the risk is slight, flushing such an engine with AMSOIL Engine Flush might uncover these leaks and create the need for replacement. Depending upon your situation, you may not wish to do this. Even if you don't flush the engine and simply put AMSOIL Synthetic Oil in the engine, the high quality detergent additives in the oil would eventually clean out these deposits anyway. This is a decision that you will have to make on your own. As stated, the risk is small, but it is a possibility.

I thought you may want to see this just in case
Old 03-08-05, 03:41 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Good Find CT!! I've been using mobil one synthetic, so I'm probabaly fine, hmmm!
Old 03-08-05, 04:32 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

When I got my 1st gen I put in synthetic at around 75,000 miles and had no leaks. I did the same with my GS400 (60,000 miles) and no leaks either. Synthetics now have chemicals in it that swell the gaskets and seals so they don't leak after the carbon deposits are cleaned away. Before, synthetics didn't contain these chemicals so you would get leaks after switching. But it's a risk you take if your seals are really bad, the carbon deposits from the dyno oil are just a bandage for a seal/gasket that should be replaced. Alot of members have switched to synthetic at a high mileage and haven't had problems, so you might not have any problems at all.
Old 03-08-05, 05:05 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by LB Lex
When I got my 1st gen I put in synthetic at around 75,000 miles and had no leaks. I did the same with my GS400 (60,000 miles) and no leaks either. Synthetics now have chemicals in it that swell the gaskets and seals so they don't leak after the carbon deposits are cleaned away. Before, synthetics didn't contain these chemicals so you would get leaks after switching. But it's a risk you take if your seals are really bad, the carbon deposits from the dyno oil are just a bandage for a seal/gasket that should be replaced. Alot of members have switched to synthetic at a high mileage and haven't had problems, so you might not have any problems at all.
You're correct LB, however CT was referring to using the Amsoil engine flush as it could cause leaks.
Old 03-08-05, 06:00 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Default Top End Cleaner Or Oil Cleaner

Hello,
I thought that KARIN GS3's question was in regards to using SEAFOAM in the upper intake vice using it in the oil. AMSOIL Flush is used for the engine oil only, which means it cleans the lubrication system...not the intake and combustion chambers. I assume that the seafoam can be used in both places, but pouring it in one area does not clean it in the other..

To clean the upper intake requires finding a small vacuum port that goes directly into the intake. I woould avoid using a vacuum line connected to a component, because the cleaner will be drawn through it. On the GS4, there is a small port with a black plastic cap on the very top front of the intake manifold. I remove the little cap, and attach a small rubber line to that port. I connect my cleaner on the other end, and start the engine. The brake booster line is too large for that purpose, and putting liquid through that line may stall the engine, because too much is going through at one time.

I clean the throttle bore separately with the engine off. Then I reconnect everything, and run the can through the aforementioned small intake port.

I assume the water will work, but I have never tried it. Just remember that cleaning the oil with solvents does not clean the intake of gunk...2 totally different things.

Last edited by gserep1; 03-08-05 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-08-05, 06:19 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Actually guys I am trying to eliminate a noise that could be "lifter" related. I am hoping that the addition of Seafoam will clean most, if not all, of the crud that has accumulated over the years.
Old 03-08-05, 06:21 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Exactly We're combining both his problems into one thread.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Seafoam on a 100K+ mileage motor??