GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

2nd Gen Suspension on a 1st Gen w/pix

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 12:12 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2nd Gen Suspension on a 1st Gen w/pix

Alright, I did this a few months ago and was asked about it a few times so here it is.
I got a set of 2nd gen FLEX from japtat918 on the FS section. I got an EDFC from OVB.
Unfortunately I don’t have pix of the install into the car but I'll try and post some later.
The fronts bolt right in.
The FLEX uses a fully threaded body for full adjustability.

The rears you can use the stock upper pad mount. All you have to do is drill out the hole for the strut rod to come thru. The stock strut has two flat sides on the top of the strut rod where the Tien is round.
I wanted to use the pillow mounts that came with the flex so I made an adapter. Prob. more work than its worth but.... These plates had to be offset just a little. Measure twice cut once so I drew up what I wanted on ACAD at work. My neighbor saw me working on it and offerened to use a CNC punch at his work so....

After these were cut I test fit them. I drove out the stock studs

Pressed them into the adapter

Had to trim the side of one stud
Old 04-14-05, 12:12 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Lookin good

Heres a look up at the mount into the trunk

The bottom of the rear tien strut is a round bushing.

The bottom of the stock rear lex strut is an H post.
I chopped the roundy and the H off and welded the stock H to the tien.

Sorry for the crappy descriptions. Hopefully the pix help a little. When I have some more time and batteries in the camera ill do a better write up.

NOTE: Because the FLEX has a fully threaded body the gas charged strut can be removed from the mount area.
Do not cut and weld on a strut assy that is still charged.
I cannot and will not be held responsible for any injuries resulting in anyone crazy enough to reproduce this controlled experiment. This is for off-road use only. This test was performed by trained professionals.
Old 04-14-05, 01:25 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dang. That is pretty impressive work, although I don't think I'd be as confident playing around with the suspension on my car like that.
Old 04-14-05, 01:47 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Great DIY! Very creative
Old 04-14-05, 02:00 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Seize
Great DIY! Very creative
Thanks !
Im confident in my skills I have been fabbing for years.
I actually did this one out of necessity. I coulnt find any tien systems for the 1st gen.
I didnt want to get the JIC's and I contacted alot of places that said they had the HA's in stock but no one ever returned calls or said it wasnt avail. any more etc....
Tein said they could special order any sys. from japan with a +10% over cost and three to six month wait.
To be honest im not even sure that the FLEX was avail. for the 1st gen was it ?
Old 04-14-05, 02:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice job
This is what I call modding.
Old 04-14-05, 02:46 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EG8
T
To be honest im not even sure that the FLEX was avail. for the 1st gen was it ?
It is but it is a special order from Japan. It does not show on the US site.

http://www.tein.co.jp/flexdamp2te.html
Old 04-14-05, 03:34 PM
gsWarrior
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's some serious skills
Old 04-14-05, 03:53 PM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

I did this in Jan 2004 when I got my GS, I used cusco rear uppers from a supra though. Walmart has some krylon spray paint that matches the tein green perfectly man, so you can paint them up hehe
when I talked to tein they said, that they had never made flex for the first gen. I detailed my install to them in an email I sent. They were impressed. All you have to do is order the flex for the second gen and get a supras rear upper and bottom mounts from tien, I found out later you can do that.

Last edited by Eric-GS300-; 04-14-05 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-14-05, 09:27 PM
CTgs300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eric-GS300-
I did this in Jan 2004 when I got my GS, I used cusco rear uppers from a supra though. Walmart has some krylon spray paint that matches the tein green perfectly man, so you can paint them up hehe
when I talked to tein they said, that they had never made flex for the first gen. I detailed my install to them in an email I sent. They were impressed. All you have to do is order the flex for the second gen and get a supras rear upper and bottom mounts from tien, I found out later you can do that.
what exactly do I get?
Old 04-15-05, 08:47 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Eric-GS300-
I realized after doing all this I could have gone and got the supra lower bodys, but these work so im gonna leave it. The rear upper pillows would have been nice. What did you pay for those ?
And Walmart is evil I vowed never to set foot in that place but if they have a close match for the tein green, then I think ill send my wife
Tien told me they never made flex for the 2nd gen. But then they also told me they never made HA's either. Im still waiting for a "dust boot" I ordered about three months ago. From two of thier authorized dealers.
So what were saying here is the MKIV teins would prob be a bolt in. With the exception that the spring rates would be way out of wack.

CTgs300, You would need the supra upper pillow mounts and lower threaded strut body. That will only work if you use the FLEX system though.
Old 04-15-05, 10:01 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Nice work!

Please post pics once they are on your car! Thanks

Last edited by Wald GS; 04-15-05 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-15-05, 10:09 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

They've been on the car since january. This is the only pic I have at work...I have lowered it another inch since this pic. I love it. I have the EDFC hooked up. Its super easy to drift now. Power mode on. Second gear locked in. Drop the hammer give it a little correction and keep the hammer down !
Old 04-15-05, 10:12 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

On another note. Im working on some adjustable lower control arms for the front and rear to correct that nasty camber problem. Right now I have the CAM bolts in 180 deg. and I had the alignment checked since its no longer adjustable with the bolts flipped. Im only off 1 degree of camber in the rear and .5 on the front.
Old 04-15-05, 10:15 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Guess I was wrong I do have one more here...

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Suspension on a 1st Gen w/pix