GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Should I be afraid of a high mileage 95GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 05:06 AM
ForceFed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be afraid of a high mileage 95GS?

Hi guys, sorta new here to ClubLexus. I've been a member for a few years, lurked for a little longer and probably posted the least.
Anyways, I've been in the market for a first gen GS300. I've always wanted one in black so my search led me to one that is relatively close by. The only thing I know about the car is that it is black, is a 1995 with 170,000 miles on it. Now I have never owned a car with that kind of mileage before but I figured I would ask you lot:
At 170K is there anything in particular about this model car that would be a problem area? For instance, do the auto trannies in these cars go south at X amount of miles? How about the engines? Assuming the previous owner took good care of the car does the 2JZ-GE still lose compression or suffer from valve seal failure, or anything else along those lines?
I plan to go look at the car but I'm wondering if someone can give me a laundry list of items to check specifically on the car to make sure it is something I may want to move forward with? Any advice or more would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-23-05, 06:17 AM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Well, I have a 95 GS300 and have been very lucky. It was factory serviced it's entire life. Now I take care of what needs to be by myself. The car has run like a champ and now sits at 181,xxx miles. Bottomline, if you maintain the car, it's more likely to reach the high mileage that these cars are capable of. As far buying this black one your talking about, I would honestly take a experienced technician with you to overlook the car. The only thing that has gone bad on my car is ; the starter went out, battery needed to be replaced, brake pads (duh), plugs and wires, and cap and rotor (from cleaning my engine bay like a dumba$s..LOL.)
These guys on here are pretty knowledgeable here on CL so definately listen up! Hope this helps a little..
Old 08-23-05, 07:35 AM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

well cap and rotor replacement should happen at 120k

and the starter can be rebuilt (which is what I would reccomend) the toyota starter is awesome,the contacts just go bad, it happens. I got mine rebuilt for a little bit more then, at the time got parts at cost at napa, of getting a new/referb.

make sure at 120k the timing and acessory belt was replaced along with the water pump and differential flush (every 30k is what I reccomend), and be prepared to do the timing belt again at 180k (every 60k on older cars).

this sounds dumb, but change your oil, for some reason lots of toyota/lexus owners get this idea since it's such a great car that oil in it is magic, and they don't change it much and the sucker sludges up or they just don't know period, and that is also THE MOST IMPORTANT check you can make when buying that car. Because it it's sludged up the only thing that is truely a fix is a rebuild, otherwise you will score cylinder header and sleeves if you simply do a pour through clean (piston chattering and many other fun happenings).

lastly, go easy on her for a while, slowly ease the car into your driving style, I'm very agressive as a driver and after I found a small crayola factory in my car along with cut out wooden animals, it was pretty clear I bought a mommy car (ie non agressive driver). I used "Engine Restore"(<---shake well) in fresh oil for 3k miles with 1/2 a quart of lucas oil stabilizer to make sure everything was properly sealed and to restore any lost compression, I also use a K&N (mobile 1 is jsut as good) oil filter. now I use 1/2 bottle of lucas oil stabilizer at every oil change, and every other month I use the lucas upper cylinder lube/injector cleaner.
Why do I say go easy? well if the other person never really stepped into the gas on the car, the pistons have never really been at full extension up the cylinder, so slowly get the car used to the idea of that, after a few weeks of gradually more and more gassing it, the car will be "used" to it more or less.

I'm sure I can speak for everyone here when I say, as long as you treat her with respect and do a few basics there's no reason the car shouldn't last another 200k without major probs
Old 08-23-05, 07:54 AM
ForceFed
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info guys. My main concern with this black GS that I am looking at is the tranny. The exterior of the car appears to be well maintained as the paint is very glossy in the pics so I know atleast the exterior of the car has been taken care of unless its been repainted in which case would suggest the obvious...

I guess the only thing I have to do is just go check it out for myself but I just wanted a list of things to check when I go to view this car.
Old 08-23-05, 08:12 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

FF, did a little searching for you...

Looking for 'watch out for'

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=watch

Looking for 'common problems'
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...common+problem
Old 08-23-05, 08:22 AM
ForceFed
Driver School Candidate

Dave, thanks for the links.
Old 08-23-05, 11:21 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

High mileage is good.As long as you maintain it.Car can go 300,000 + miles.and run fine. Change the oil at least every 4,000 miles.
Old 08-23-05, 02:31 PM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

5k for synthetic (use this only if the car already has been, sometimes a switch can cause mucho probs)
3k for petrol esp if you are in city traffic mostly, 5k if you live where there is not much stop and go