GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Just bought 95 gs300, few problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 09:46 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just bought 95 gs300, few problems

Hey everyone, just bought a 95 white lexus gs300 and i love it! There is a few probs with it tho. The button on the remote doesnt work for the keyless...anyone know a solution to that?

The acceleration is very slow right off the start, is that how its supposed to be??

I want to put a system in there: Deck, speakers, and amp for now. Is it pretty easy to replace the deck? What size speakers go in this car. Let me know, i'm really looking forward for your suggestions!!!!
Old 10-28-05, 01:11 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

yes, take off is slow. No it isnt hard to replace the deck, i recently did this project and if you search you will find my write up. the speakers are 4" all the way around. I left my speakers stock and they sound great, but deck also has 240watts max power or somethin...I also have a Sub and an amp for the sub. If you do a new deck I would suggest to go ahead and get an amp and sub. nothin fancy, I have a 10" sub and an amp and it sounds great in my car. Good luck with your searching, these forums are a great source of information, search and ye shall find. Im sure other will comment on this and let you know what they think.
Old 10-28-05, 05:11 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

I think it would look really stupid tho if i too the stock stereo out. DO you think it would sound good with just a speaker amp?
Old 10-28-05, 06:11 AM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

Yo man,
First off, congrats on your new purchase. I bought my 1st gen. about 5 months ago, and it had the same remote problem you have. Thinking it was the battery, I went to the dealership and they gave me one. It works better now with the new battery, every once in a while it will seem like it gives a weak signal though, but nothing major.
As for your speakers, the fronts are 6 ½ components and the rear are just 6 1/2s. You will need a mono amp (power amp) or a 2-channel amp to power your subs, so you will want to buy a deck with a pair of pre-outs. If you find one with three sets of pre-out, this will allow you to have a sub control option, so that you don’t have to constantly be manually changing you gain on the amp itself. A speaker amp will be well worth the money, and totally optimize your system. When you start talking about having a sub amp and a 4-channel, you really need to find a head unit with three sets of pre-outs, it provides you with more sound options and allows for an easier install.

Well, I hope this paragraph was helpful. And keep us posted on your audio mods man, and enjoy the ride.

Oh, and to answer your previous post, you stock system is already amplified by a factory amp, so if you are going to have a shop do the install, don’t be surprised if they charge you a little additional fee to bypass the amp. Also, if you decide to keep the factory speakers and just add a sub and amp, you will just have to buy a line out converter (about $20) to provide you with a set of RCA pre-outs. I highly recommend buying the new deck, because you will loose sound quality with the stock radio w/ line out converter option.
Old 10-28-05, 08:21 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your purchase...

The button on the remote most likely doesn't work because the battery is dead... if I remember correctly it takes a 2025... but I'm not positive. Just take apart the remote and you'll be able to tell for sure.

Yes the car is supposed to be slow (it's over 1.5 tons with just over 200ft/lbs of torque)... but it doesn't have to be.

As for the system... IMO... spend some time trying to find the Nakamichi components. The Nak system is incredibly clean... and it'll retain the stock look because it actually came in the car to begin with. If you're the type of person that likes disturbing livestock and making small children cry with the bass thumps from your ride... then all you'll really need is a couple of subs in the trunk with a dedicated amp (or two )... just run a converter from the rear stock sub wires... Also, if you do go that route then you might want to consider taking out the stock sub otherwise the bass from the trunk is going to have to fight your rear firewall to get into the cabin.

...hope that helps
Old 10-29-05, 08:01 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Ok, so i broke the lexus in pretty good so far. Although i have found quite a few probs with it. I made a whole new forum for it but noone has had any input on it. Here are the problems again and if ANYONE has any suggestions PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!

Back right door lock doesnt work. The power locks and remote don't open that door.

Cup holder comes out of the slot in the arm rest. MAybe theres a little piece missing that i could replace somehow or put something so it will prevent it from coming out completely.

The cd player starts crackaling and skipping and eventually stops playing or skips song to song and ends up with an ""ERR"". CD's are good but i just don't get why it does that. I've noticed that id does that when the music is played loud, maybe ive had some good cds in there. idk

Also, how difficult is it to take the cd changer out of the trunk and put it somewhere inside the car....any suggestions where?