GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

power steering???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05 | 08:42 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Default power steering???

When i bought this car about a month ago, it didn't make any funny noises but now that it got colder, the weird noises come out.

When i got the car, it was low on power steering fluid....When i start my car when its cold, it makes a hissing/chirping sound. All signs point power steering pump. I don't know what else it could be. OH yea, the sound goes off after the car is warmed up.

What do you guys think the exact problem here is?? And what needs to be replaced when the time come...how much? Thanks
Old 11-17-05 | 08:55 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

I'd start with flushing out the system and replacing the fluid with new synthetic fluid.
Old 11-17-05 | 09:03 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

MY mechanic said something about some bearings that might need to be replaced..is that a possibility
Old 11-17-05 | 09:26 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
MY mechanic said something about some bearings that might need to be replaced..is that a possibility
Yes, the bearings could be shot. A new pump is expensive remans are a little cheaper and rebuilt ones, depending on who rebullds are are not much better.. Usually they fail because no one replaces the fluid!
Old 11-17-05 | 09:40 PM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
When i bought this car about a month ago, it didn't make any funny noises but now that it got colder, the weird noises come out.

When i got the car, it was low on power steering fluid....When i start my car when its cold, it makes a hissing/chirping sound. All signs point power steering pump. I don't know what else it could be. OH yea, the sound goes off after the car is warmed up.

What do you guys think the exact problem here is?? And what needs to be replaced when the time come...how much? Thanks
i think my car is making the same noises.
hey X, is it kind of a humming sound? i also noticed that the sound is heard more inside the car rather than outside, does all this sound like you problem?
Old 11-17-05 | 09:45 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Yea, it is kinda like a humming sounds but only when the car is cold but idk about the sounds, they are heard all over the place inside and out.....
Some stupid lady was driving this car and as we all know....WOMEN DO NOT know how to take care of cars and obviously this dumb braud left the levels low. So turbo, are you sayin I will need to replace the bearings or the power steering pump or both?? Do you knwo how much it will cost me for parts?
Old 11-17-05 | 10:52 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 200000

hmm, the whole women crack, thats not funny, my aunt helped me put in my alternator and without her i wouldnt have been able to do it! EITHER WAY...my pump was making the same noises, and my uncle flushed it and put some new synthetic fluid and it works better than ever. no noise either.
Old 11-18-05 | 06:32 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Most of the time the high pressure line starts weeping and dripping, running the fluid low. As the fluid lubricates the pump, the pump bearing and pump seals start to leak down on the alternator. Then the voltage regulator in the alternator fails causing lamp flickering or battery failures. It just keeps getting worse for a simple hydraulic hose leak. It is possible to replace just the rubber hose rather than the whole hose assembly.
Old 11-18-05 | 08:35 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tammy
Then the voltage regulator in the alternator fails causing lamp flickering or battery failures. It just keeps getting worse for a simple hydraulic hose leak. It is possible to replace just the rubber hose rather than the whole hose assembly.
WOW, i guess that solves the problem of why my overhead lights flicker....so you are saying all i need to do is flush my powersteer fluids and replace the rubber hose???
Old 11-18-05 | 08:59 AM
Aristo94
Pole Position

i think i have somewhat of the similar prob but my car doesnt hiss but only wen the stearing wheel is turned and the pump is leaking out the top b/c it always gets dirty after i clean it so could it be the same problem?